FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/2012245-crisis-discounts-high-end-hotels-2020-corona-virus.html)

francophile Mar 8, 2020 12:40 am

Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus)

I know this thread is very old but I thought that in these uncertain times, it would be a good opportunity to bring back up this thread and post some particularly good luxury hotel offers.

I'll start with this one:

Four Seasons Hong Kong
https://www.fourseasons.com/hongkong...rate-in-style/
  • 15% off our Room Rate
  • A set lunch for two in Caprice once per stay
  • Late check-out until 4:00 pm
It's a non-refundable rate. Only a one night stay is required. I believe you can combine with FSPP benefits. Caprice regained their third star last year.

hailstorm Mar 8, 2020 3:12 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 17416815)
Perhaps we'll get some Milan crisis rates in the not-to-distant future...

I don't even remember why I posted this, but perhaps it's finally relevant.

m0hamed Mar 8, 2020 4:35 am

As far as I can see, SIN and BKK properties aren’t discounted much at all.

Certainly not suites, anyway.

DavidO Mar 8, 2020 8:04 am

I can confirm that the Celebrate in Style promotion includes Preferred Partner amenities.

Originally Posted by francophile (Post 32155579)
I know this thread is very old but I thought that in these uncertain times, it would be a good opportunity to bring back up this thread and post some particularly good luxury hotel offers.

I'll start with this one:

Four Seasons Hong Kong
https://www.fourseasons.com/hongkong...rate-in-style/
  • 15% off our Room Rate
  • A set lunch for two in Caprice once per stay
  • Late check-out until 4:00 pm
It's a non-refundable rate. Only a one night stay is required. I believe you can combine with FSPP benefits. Caprice regained their third star last year.

behuman Mar 8, 2020 8:33 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 32155713)
I don't even remember why I posted this, but perhaps it's finally relevant.

Maybe, BUT restaurants and bars being closed after 6PM in Lombardy, you will be confined to room service and the Scala is closed too :( . I got in touch with the virus at the MO before end January (sneezing Chinese groups - Lombardy and Veneto is full of these rather cheap groups in January) and as many with mild symptoms never got tested.

GodAtum Mar 8, 2020 1:38 pm

Well Venice and Milan hotels are still expensive even though it's under quarantine :rolleyes:

uclabruin82 Mar 8, 2020 5:54 pm

One of the US airline CEOs recently said that cutting fares doesn't matter much since people are just not going to travel, and it feels like the hotels were doing something similar.

With oil prices plunging and the markets looking pretty ugly, I think we are pretty close to seeing some real travel deals. Going to make my points even more useless after all of the devaluations the past few years.

reigndrop Mar 9, 2020 8:59 am

if there's a property you're interested in, now is a good time as ever to directly email them regarding adjusted rates. a lot of the premium properties are likely to cut a deal behind the scenes vs. openly advertise reduced rates - I saw this happen w/ HK hotels during the protests

BENLEE Mar 9, 2020 9:39 am

With the current condition, I will never book any hotels with a non refundable rate no matter how attractive the offer.

KatW Mar 9, 2020 1:02 pm

Depending on developments regarding likelihood of quarantine on either end, I am considering a return to Zihuatanejo next month after Easter. I can book a non-refundable pool suite at La Casa Que Canta at a very attractive rate and can do so at the last minute thereby mostly confident in traveling. Yes, a risk but one I am comfortable assuming. This assumes flights available so will be monitoring. I have great flexibility.

Sitting in ZIH as I tap this waiting to board homeward flight.

BLV Mar 9, 2020 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by reigndrop (Post 32160066)
if there's a property you're interested in, now is a good time as ever to directly email them regarding adjusted rates. a lot of the premium properties are likely to cut a deal behind the scenes vs. openly advertise reduced rates - I saw this happen w/ HK hotels during the protests

I was offered 5% off a standard rate at an Amalfi Coast property for 3 nights in August 🤣.

KatW Mar 9, 2020 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by BLV (Post 32161233)
I was offered 5% off a standard rate at an Amalfi Coast property for 3 nights in August 🤣.

Kinda chintzy, no?

Big_Foot Mar 10, 2020 6:18 am

Originally Posted by BLV (Post 32161233)

Just wait a month.

LondonElite Mar 10, 2020 6:36 am

I think it's hilarious that, on the one hand people are in a panicked hysteria and claiming that airlines and hotels must allow cancellations or changes or have blood on their hands, and on the other hand people are saying 'well, if I get that business class flight for $1,000 and the palace hotel for $300 a night, let's go for it!'

sophialite Mar 10, 2020 7:14 am

If you’re looking for 3 months from now, don’t bet on it. If you’re looking for 5 days from now, the odds are better.

Scored competitive rates at the Four Seasons SF, which is typically atrociously expensive.

Cityflyer10 Mar 10, 2020 8:12 am

Looked at a few FS properties and anecdotally looks like 4th night free offers are a bit more plentiful. I imagine FS is getting hammered as a lot of their hotels rely heavily on corporate travel

Goodmorning2U Mar 10, 2020 9:25 am

Which FS properties?

hanser Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am

Renegotiating room rate with newly discounted rates due to COVID

Has anyone had any luck renegotiating a room rate on luxury travel booked months ago? I have an upcoming reservation for this week that was originally booked for >10k and I am now seeing the exact same room discounted for around 7k, presumably due to closer to booking and/or cancellations due to coronavirus. Figured it's worth a shot to try to get the lower rate.

MSPeconomist Mar 10, 2020 11:41 am

Can you cancel and rebook?

Otherwise, I'd hesitate to try to negotiate with the hotel directly regarding the room rate, although perhaps a good Virtuoso agent could do this well. I wouldn't want to give the property the impression that I'm bargaining as if it were a street bazaar, although asking for a upgrade or other perks could be better.

OTOH, if some hotel facilities are closed, I would expect some form of compensation or customer service gesture. Certainly in the case of a closed RC club lounge, I would expect the rate to be adjusted to a non-club rate on the same basis, including any special rate plans such as AAA that might be applicable.

Often1 Mar 10, 2020 11:42 am

If you are still within the cancellation period for the property, why not just cancel and rebook?

If not, what incentive does the property have to let you off the higher rate? Guess you find out when you call.

hanser Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am

Unfortunately, because it's less than 28 days prior to my stay, I can't cancel without incurring a penalty of 2 nights plus a 19% tax and 15% Resort Fee. I figure it's worth a shot to at least try contacting them given the difference of over $2500 between the rates I booked months ago, and the current going rate for the exact same room.

You would think by booking directly with the hotel they would honor the "Best Rate Guarantee" that is plastered on their website. Guess we will see. I appreciate the input from anyone here who has dealt with a similar issue.

ABG Mar 10, 2020 1:17 pm

Just call and ask..... if you are more interested in your experience than your refund you might consider trying to secure a better room at today's prices vs your current room at the price booked months ago

hanser Mar 10, 2020 2:14 pm

They refused to change to the current rates but did offer an upgrade so I guess that's something.

phant0m Mar 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by hanser (Post 32165960)
They refused to change to the current rates but did offer an upgrade so I guess that's something.

Was this prepaid? I hope it matches what a $10k room would be today. You could just look at what $10k would get you today and see if they'll put you in that room.

hanser Mar 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m (Post 32166383)
Was this prepaid? I hope it matches what a $10k room would be today. You could just look at what $10k would get you today and see if they'll put you in that room.

Yes. This was a trip for honeymoon. The room they upgraded us to is priced about the same as our original room rate.

RichardInSF Mar 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Merging this thread into the main Corona Virus rate reduction thread.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

meester69 Mar 11, 2020 8:39 am

Tourist died of COV following stay at 4 Seasons Bali.

Not clear which property.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...s-ill-c-740157

LondonElite Mar 11, 2020 8:41 am

Originally Posted by meester69 (Post 32168929)
Tourist died of COV following stay at 4 Seasons Bali.

Not clear which property.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...s-ill-c-740157

Would he have died had he contracted the virus somewhere else?

callmedtop Mar 11, 2020 9:03 am

If you're quarantined while staying at a luxury property, who foots the bill?

CRAZ8 Mar 11, 2020 12:00 pm

My company meeting to San Francisco has been cancelled, but I've still been following the hotel prices for those dates on the Amex FHR site, since I knew what the previous numbers were like.

The only hotel charging more than $500 per night (for the lowest available room) is the Four Seasons at $523. When I booked in January, this was an almost $800 room. Ritz Carlton was full, but now has rooms at $499. Fairmont and Palace were $450+ and are now $229.

LondonElite Mar 11, 2020 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 32169019)
If you're quarantined while staying at a luxury property, who foots the bill?

There is a whole thread dedicated to this question. Answer: completely unclear.

Goodmorning2U Mar 11, 2020 2:21 pm

In the US, the answer is:

If you are the cause of the quarantine, for example you had it and came to the hotel knowing you are sick, you may be required to pay for your stay and potentially pay the hotel damages if they can prove you knowingly came with a highly communicable illness which injured others and the operating of the hotel.

If you are not the cause of the quarantine you might also be required to pay. However, it is unlikely a luxury hotel would force you to pay the full rate or potentially anything.

As we have seen with cruise lines, if hotels mismanage a quarantine the hotel might owe you damages as they have a high but reasonable standard to look after your well being while a guest, and for a short period after you are a guest.

The outcome would be fact specific but there are already laws and case law well established in this area.

SojournsOf Mar 11, 2020 6:27 pm

My visa has been cancelled to India for next month so there goes an amazing itinerary and a lot of planning! I'll try somewhere else closer to AU for a short break late April (I can't think of anything worse than being at home for my birthday!), but I fear Australia will likely lock down soon...

jp-mco Mar 12, 2020 9:32 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32170058)
There is a whole thread dedicated to this question. Answer: completely unclear.

Could you point me toward this thread please?

LondonElite Mar 12, 2020 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco (Post 32174392)
Could you point me toward this thread please?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...pays-bill.html

david22 Mar 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 32164160)
Scored competitive rates at the Four Seasons SF, which is typically atrociously expensive.

Hope you're not coming any time in the next three weeks because we're on lockdown now. I hope it only lasts 3 weeks... :(

Sealink Mar 19, 2020 3:27 pm

Meanwhile my pals who work in luxury hotels have been offered redundancy or forced unpaid leave.

So this thread feels in incredibly bad taste, but as long as you were able to get a cheap rate then who cares?!
​​

scubadu Mar 19, 2020 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink (Post 32208258)
Meanwhile my pals who work in luxury hotels have been offered redundancy or forced unpaid leave.

So this thread feels in incredibly bad taste, but as long as you were able to get a cheap rate then who cares?!
​​

Do you believe the redundancy and forced unpaid leaves will get better if nobody is willing to travel? :confused:

Regards

KatW Mar 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Interesting issue. Depends in the main on how many choose to travel ... by car. In California, traffic has been minimal. Driving has rebooted to a pleasant distraction. But, if many avail themselves then the benefits disappear and virus containment may be compromised.

But, here’s my take for me (and only for me). I am one of few who can take a break with minimum exposure (to and from). Solo, still healthy, targeting small-town or bucolic venues less than 100 miles by car, introvert (thus distance from others desired), preferred activities are reading, forest bathing, watching the tide, reveling in fresh air. Locales I am considering, all local to me: Half Moon Bay, Big Sur, Point Reyes, Bodega Bay. Small venues with the exception of HMB which would entail the Ritz so least coveted option. Most lack ostensibly luxe offerings but for Big Sur and HMB. Would consider upscale holiday rentals. Short duration, three nights.

As for discounts, I haven’t seen much yet. I would prefer to see relaxed cancellation and fewer penalties. Not so much interested in saving a buck as not wasting a buck.

Now then, bring on the objections.

KatW Mar 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Ventana (Big Sur) just closed temporarily.