FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/2012245-crisis-discounts-high-end-hotels-2020-corona-virus.html)

offerendum Jun 22, 2020 9:18 am

Indeed a great rate. But of course only for a very small crowd.

Chocobanana Jun 22, 2020 11:19 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 32471849)
I'm not seeing much discounting in the high end in the short term. And it is chaos at FS. FS is clearly having trouble with the restart worldwide. Staffing issues maybe? Booked FS LV, only to have it cancelled a few hours later. Gonna have to slum it at Bellagio over the 4th.

Several destinations I looked at were booked entirely for July and August'20. They are limiting the number of rooms and the inventory is filling quickly. Amangani, for example appears to be completely sold out for July and most of August. This makes me chuckle a bit. My biggest issue with Aman, including 'Gani, is that I get lonely; never 'it's too crowded'. I do not see a need to reduce inventory to adhere to Wuhan virus distancing rules. I exclude 'Giri, which was crowded when we went, but I will NEVER part with $3500/night for that place. And 'crowded at an Aman' is a relative term. In this context I mean 'I saw another person during my stay'. I've been to ASP three times and never once saw another guest. This ... is a little creepy. I see a lot of issues at the despicable FS Maui. That place is an overstuffed circus in the best of times.

Interesting times ...

Amangani does have availability in July, but their website isn't updated correctly or something. Unfortunately, the only 5-night stay available starts on the 5th of July.

erik123 Jun 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Andrew Harper is worth a look -auctions and promos are listed. https://www.andrewharpertravel.com/

Some of the charity auction sites might also be worth a look.

EuropeanPete Jun 22, 2020 7:59 pm

I’m seeing most of the prices in the $500-$1,000 entry level room hotel category a night range in Europe actually higher than usual. I thought I’d check out the Amanzoe or Sveti Stefan and they’re 30% higher than anytime I’ve seen them before. I was hoping on checking out the FS Athens, but it’s over €700 for a base room when I’ve seen it for €400 (admittedly shoulder season).

Thailand apparently has some good options, but if I do get to the EU for one summer trip it looks like I’ll be doing it on loyalty scheme points.

KatW Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm

With some exceptions (possibly Mexico) I expect rates to be high due to regional or almost regional demand as well as higher operating costs.

SojournsOf Jun 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 32477621)
With some exceptions (possibly Mexico) I expect rates to be high due to regional or almost regional demand as well as higher operating costs.

I tend to agree. And some operating restrictions perhaps (i.e. capped occupancy %)

offerendum Jun 23, 2020 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by SojournsOf (Post 32480117)
I tend to agree. And some operating restrictions perhaps (i.e. capped occupancy %)

So far not much of discounts in Switzerland and Italy. With some offers (like free nights) I don't know if they would have loaded anyway.

BESVISOR Jun 24, 2020 1:30 pm

There are definitely some deals out there, though.
I had booked some really great deals at Caribbean resorts (Amans, Rosewood, etc.) this summer for clients and upgrades at booking.
For longer stays, some are discounting up to 70% for villas.

For anyone who is up for and allowed to fly to Caribbean, lot of value to be had for sure!

KatW Jun 24, 2020 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 32482432)
I had booked some really great deals at Caribbean resorts (Amans, Rosewood, etc.) this summer for clients and upgrades at booking.

For anyone who is up for and allowed to fly to Caribbean, lot of value to be had for sure!

Venues that lack a native/regional demographic (Mexico, Caribbean) will likely have good deals. Drivable destinations in the U.S. and Europe less sp.

BESVISOR Jun 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 32482488)
Venues that lack a native/regional demographic (Mexico, Caribbean) will likely have good deals. Drivable destinations in the U.S. and Europe less sp.

I'd agree with that as that's what I'm seeing.

Even some very mediocre properties within U.S. are experiencing very high demand and able to charge some higher than usual rates (and sell out).

EuropeanPete Jun 24, 2020 7:56 pm

I just wish it was easier to fly regionally within the Caribbean and I would be hoovering up some of those deals.

offerendum Jun 25, 2020 10:16 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 32483109)
I just wish it was easier to fly regionally within the Caribbean and I would be hoovering up some of those deals.

There is a reason for this deals

SanDiego1K Jul 17, 2020 11:36 am

There are three Miraval resorts in the US, Berkshires, Tucson, and Austin. They are managed by Hyatt. You can get the second night free thru year end on a points booking. If you check out by October 8, you can get a 15% rebate on the points or 25% if you have the Chase Hyatt credit card. Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be moved to Hyatt. We had a lovely stay at the Miraval Tucson three or four years back.

britinva79 Jul 24, 2020 5:06 pm

How long do you need to stay to get 70% of villas? That sounds amazing! Hopefully more high end resorts have good deals in the Caribbean or Mexico.

BESVISOR Jul 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by britinva79 (Post 32556800)
How long do you need to stay to get 70% of villas? That sounds amazing! Hopefully more high end resorts have good deals in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Off the top of my head, I believe some of the best properties are in the 30 - 60 days range for 70% but each property is different, of course.