FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/2012245-crisis-discounts-high-end-hotels-2020-corona-virus.html)

LondonElite Mar 11, 2020 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 32169019)
If you're quarantined while staying at a luxury property, who foots the bill?

There is a whole thread dedicated to this question. Answer: completely unclear.

Goodmorning2U Mar 11, 2020 2:21 pm

In the US, the answer is:

If you are the cause of the quarantine, for example you had it and came to the hotel knowing you are sick, you may be required to pay for your stay and potentially pay the hotel damages if they can prove you knowingly came with a highly communicable illness which injured others and the operating of the hotel.

If you are not the cause of the quarantine you might also be required to pay. However, it is unlikely a luxury hotel would force you to pay the full rate or potentially anything.

As we have seen with cruise lines, if hotels mismanage a quarantine the hotel might owe you damages as they have a high but reasonable standard to look after your well being while a guest, and for a short period after you are a guest.

The outcome would be fact specific but there are already laws and case law well established in this area.

SojournsOf Mar 11, 2020 6:27 pm

My visa has been cancelled to India for next month so there goes an amazing itinerary and a lot of planning! I'll try somewhere else closer to AU for a short break late April (I can't think of anything worse than being at home for my birthday!), but I fear Australia will likely lock down soon...

jp-mco Mar 12, 2020 9:32 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32170058)
There is a whole thread dedicated to this question. Answer: completely unclear.

Could you point me toward this thread please?

LondonElite Mar 12, 2020 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco (Post 32174392)
Could you point me toward this thread please?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...pays-bill.html

david22 Mar 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 32164160)
Scored competitive rates at the Four Seasons SF, which is typically atrociously expensive.

Hope you're not coming any time in the next three weeks because we're on lockdown now. I hope it only lasts 3 weeks... :(

Sealink Mar 19, 2020 3:27 pm

Meanwhile my pals who work in luxury hotels have been offered redundancy or forced unpaid leave.

So this thread feels in incredibly bad taste, but as long as you were able to get a cheap rate then who cares?!
​​

scubadu Mar 19, 2020 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink (Post 32208258)
Meanwhile my pals who work in luxury hotels have been offered redundancy or forced unpaid leave.

So this thread feels in incredibly bad taste, but as long as you were able to get a cheap rate then who cares?!
​​

Do you believe the redundancy and forced unpaid leaves will get better if nobody is willing to travel? :confused:

Regards

KatW Mar 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Interesting issue. Depends in the main on how many choose to travel ... by car. In California, traffic has been minimal. Driving has rebooted to a pleasant distraction. But, if many avail themselves then the benefits disappear and virus containment may be compromised.

But, here’s my take for me (and only for me). I am one of few who can take a break with minimum exposure (to and from). Solo, still healthy, targeting small-town or bucolic venues less than 100 miles by car, introvert (thus distance from others desired), preferred activities are reading, forest bathing, watching the tide, reveling in fresh air. Locales I am considering, all local to me: Half Moon Bay, Big Sur, Point Reyes, Bodega Bay. Small venues with the exception of HMB which would entail the Ritz so least coveted option. Most lack ostensibly luxe offerings but for Big Sur and HMB. Would consider upscale holiday rentals. Short duration, three nights.

As for discounts, I haven’t seen much yet. I would prefer to see relaxed cancellation and fewer penalties. Not so much interested in saving a buck as not wasting a buck.

Now then, bring on the objections.

KatW Mar 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Ventana (Big Sur) just closed temporarily.

hailstorm Mar 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 32208427)
Do you believe the redundancy and forced unpaid leaves will get better if nobody is willing to travel? :confused:

Regards

Will things get better if hotels sell rooms at a loss? :confused:

Sealink Mar 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 32208427)

Regards

The spread of this virus will get worse if people don’t stop travelling.

offerendum Mar 20, 2020 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink (Post 32212214)
The spread of this virus will get worse if people don’t stop travelling.

Isn't it forbidden in California? In Germany and most other European countries touristic stays are forbidden at the moment.

KatW Mar 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 32212438)
Isn't it forbidden in California? In Germany and most other European countries touristic stays are forbidden at the moment.

Unclear yet becoming less advisable. I received email today from Post Ranch Inn touting anti-contagion steps they are taking and reminding folk as to how salubrious it is to be where the ocean and forested mountains come together in Big Sur. It is suggested, although not laid out, that there are good deals to be had. I am tempted but won’t go. I think the slew of cautions, prohibitions and new negative information are due to escalate in the near future.Already, in California, incidence is rising and deaths becoming more frequent. But I surely would like to get the hell out of Dodge.

EDIT: Post Ranch Inn now temporarily closed.

5khours Mar 20, 2020 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink (Post 32208258)

​​

After an economic shock, the pricing mechanism is critical to facilitate the reallocation of resources in a fair and efficient manner and to get output (goods and services) to return to normal levels. Discounting is really important and helps everyone.