Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What are some of your favorite "non-obvious" luxury hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are some of your favorite "non-obvious" luxury hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure about the Kämp. I've stayed there many times, and I think it fails the test of the premise of this thread on two fronts. Firstly, it is the only obvious upscale choice in Helsinki. Secondly, I'm not sure I would bestow the luxury moniker on it. It is a nice business hotel, the bar is decent, I agree, but the rooms are pretty four-star average in my opinion, and could do with a complete refurbishment. I do enjoy lunch in the restaurant, particularly in the 'conservatory.'
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Firmdale Hotels probably for the bill here too, but as a matter of policy refuse to stay there. Too many service lapses and the chain is filled with cheapskates. For $800/night I know I can do a lot better.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by sophialite
On Ett Hem:

edit: service depends on where you are in the hotel and how well the staff knows you. The restaurant tends to be good and they’ve become a bit warmer since I’m a regular. The laddershed service is cold as ever. Biggest turn off of the whole joint. And hotel service is very warm.
That would explain why I was treated like dirt. I hated the place and will never return. Ett Hem is much, much too 'clubby' for me and does not deserve to be on this list. And the restaurant was inflexible and NOT good.

At least I get to pet the dog at the Lydmar.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just to throw one out there, I will go with Riad el Fenn in Marrakesh. Not a virtuoso hotel or member of other "luxury hotel collections" or chains. Had a great stay there and would consider it a luxury hotel.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
That would explain why I was treated like dirt. I hated the place and will never return. Ett Hem is much, much too 'clubby' for me and does not deserve to be on this list. And the restaurant was inflexible and NOT good.

At least I get to pet the dog at the Lydmar.
cool story bro
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
how was the beach at Kovalam? This might impact my feb travel plans
honestly the main beach (Lighthouse Beach) is NOT nice. If not for the charming lighthouse at one end it would be a dirty, small and not particularly appealing beach in front of a very unappealing town. Varkala beach set in front of the cliffs was much prettier. India isn’t the best beach location though and Kerala in general is VERY laid back, so don’t expect a party. I read a review from a disappointed FlyerTalker that expected Kovalam to be “the St. Tropez of India” and lol’d to myself at how far off base that was and in general at the idea of there being anything like St. Tropez in India. The Taj doesn’t have it’s own beach but 2-3 days in a pool suite with visits to surrounding beaches and a backwater tour would be good.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
honestly the main beach (Lighthouse Beach) is NOT nice. If not for the charming lighthouse at one end it would be a dirty, small and not particularly appealing beach in front of a very unappealing town. Varkala beach set in front of the cliffs was much prettier. India isn’t the best beach location though and Kerala in general is VERY laid back, so don’t expect a party. I read a review from a disappointed FlyerTalker that expected Kovalam to be “the St. Tropez of India” and lol’d to myself at how far off base that was and in general at the idea of there being anything like St. Tropez in India. The Taj doesn’t have it’s own beach but 2-3 days in a pool suite with visits to surrounding beaches and a backwater tour would be good.
that is indeed lolz-worthy. St Tropez of India? Wut.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

excellent. It’s one of my favorite hotels in the world. Will try to go there again for midsummers in Stockholm this June. Speaking of which I should probably book that now hahaha
Do NOT. Stockholm is a ghost town during midsommer, everyone goes out of the city to celebrate on the seaside or in the countryside literally no Swedes will stay in central Stockholm then.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Do NOT. Stockholm is a ghost town during midsommer, everyone goes out of the city to celebrate on the seaside or in the countryside literally no Swedes will stay in central Stockholm then.
I know, I’ve done it before. We plan to also stay at a friends house in the archipelago as well for a party. I just love midsummers because of the sunlight hours, as sunlight is very important to me.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not sure about the Kämp. I've stayed there many times, and I think it fails the test of the premise of this thread on two fronts. Firstly, it is the only obvious upscale choice in Helsinki. Secondly, I'm not sure I would bestow the luxury moniker on it. It is a nice business hotel, the bar is decent, I agree, but the rooms are pretty four-star average in my opinion, and could do with a complete refurbishment. I do enjoy lunch in the restaurant, particularly in the 'conservatory.'
I would agree that perhaps the entry level rooms could use a bit of a refresh, nothing drastic though. However, they have upgraded me every stay there save for one and the Executive Rooms and Jr Suites facing the park aren’t in need of a facelift at least in my opinion. The gym and spa are also good. It’s certainly the most obvious “luxury” option in Helsinki, but as noted many people may not be aware there’s anything fitting that bill in Helsinki. As for other choices aren’t there some bonvoy design hotels and maybe one luxury collection property now? The Kamp treat me too well for me to ever stray 👍🏻
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
Ayana - Jimbaran Bali, Indonesia
Hanging Gardens - Ubud Bali, Indonesia

Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The large non-North American upscale chains like Shangri-La, Taj, Oberoi, Kempinski, and Jumeirah might qualify. All of these (with the exception of Oberoi perhaps) punch below their weight on FlyerTalk -- they don't have dedicated forums and aren't talked about that much on the Luxury Hotels forum. At their top end they all offer some legitimate luxury venues, even if many or most of them are more typical five-star properties.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:04 pm

Casa Palacio Maria Luisa in Jerez, Spain. Truly outstanding.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:23 pm

Adding in Villa la Coste. Doesn't get a lot of play on these forums... which I actually kind of like as I don't think it's well advertised. They lost their on-property michelin star restaurant last year so hopefully they'll find a replacement.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotel du Cadran, Paris (7th)
Hotel Kabuki, San Francisco (Japantown)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.