New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:16 am
Aman Contributor Badge

OMG! On the list of places not to go to.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:03 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This is a tough one for me: gay Jewish-raised atheist as I am. That being said, I've had amazing visits and stays in many Muslim nations and very much appreciate many parts of Muslim culture. Obviously, I very much disdain other parts of Muslim culture. (Of course, conservative Christian and conservative Jewish culture aren't always so great, either. Not to mention Hindu India having its own share of issues.)

The question about whether or not it is appropriate to visit Saudi Arabia reminds me of the same question about Burma/Myanmar some years ago, if for different reasons.

I would consider the Amans in Saudi Arabia with the caveat that I would expect to be able to behave on property in the same ways as I might at any other Aman or luxury hotel around the world--including being able to hold hands (ew!) and kiss my husband, just as I would imagine that women would be free to not wear a hijab while on property. Off property, I would expect it appropriate to behave in a much more conservative manner, particularly when visiting any public sites.

Assuming those caveats are as I might hope, I wouldn't think visiting these Aman properties would be very different from visiting many luxury hotels throughout the more conservative/repressed world. Assuming those caveats are as I hope, I also would expect a very self-selecting group will visit just as is true at other conservative/repressed places in the world.

If those caveats are not as I might hope, I won't visit. Problem solved.

I'm happy at least to see Aman moving back to a new location that isn't urban.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 9, 2019 at 2:53 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:05 am

My understanding is that visas for Saudi Arabia are difficult to obtain unless you have a sponsor or some sort of pressing need to be there - tourism just doesn't count. So my hunch is that these resorts are aimed initially at Saudi citizens and expats working within the country.

If you got the visa, could you drive there from Jordan?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:48 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias
My understanding is that visas for Saudi Arabia are difficult to obtain unless you have a sponsor or some sort of pressing need to be there - tourism just doesn't count. So my hunch is that these resorts are aimed initially at Saudi citizens and expats working within the country.

I’d assume that an Aman booking would qualify one for a Saudi visa. I seriously doubt Aman is building 3 properties in remote Saudi Arabia in the hopes of serving only the domestic Saudi market or even just a Middle Eastern market. This isn’t Japan about which we’re talking!
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:07 am

I think you are correct. I expect the system to work like other countries that require many people to possess an invitation as part of the visa process (Turkmenistan, Russia, Chad, Algeria to name a few off the top of my head). When you book with Aman, they will work with you to organize all the legal paperwork for your visa to ensure you can enter the country. A reservation gets you a letter of invitation.

If VD doesn't have a deal in that regard with MBS, these properties will struggle to attract visitors from outside the region.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:27 am

And I expect this to be much more simplified, possibly even Dubai style. The development could be part of a special economic zone, which then requires less formalities to enter. MBS has been quite vocal about something along the lines of this. High-end tourism with corresponding rates would be the decisive and actual limitation as to who will be able to come. No visas required, just a titanium card! Chances of "excess" are less with Amanjunkies, vs for example something like a W hotel. Sadly we live in a world where I could increasingly visit less and less countries if applying democratic moral standards, so wherever I go I try do not judge and respect local legislation. However, Saudi Arabia is one of the very few countries I have decided a long time ago to never visit, because on all levels I cannot justify it. I have visited many GCC countries and plan to visit many more and never had an issue, though here it is a different story and I refuse to go. I think I recall hearing Saudi beaches are comparable, in part, to the Maldives, so no doubt that Aman has found stunning locations, even in the desert and I could imagine AZ liking purely the setting and location, but making deals with them is a clear message about current values of the management.
FlyerEC, ridefar, bhrubin and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:55 am

I had a driver from FS Amman in Jordan to FS Damascus when it first opened and that was quite an experience, but in those days, Syria was a very cosmopolitan and tolerant country, whereas Saudi Arabia is anything but. We got a Syrian visa at the checkpoint, but I doubt very much if this is possible when entering Saudi!

Another consideration to bear in mind is Saudi's Crown Prince. Let us not forget how he imprisoned people such as Prince Al Waleed, not that long ago. I would be worried that he could quite easily turn against other hotel owners or hotel guests at a whim, Aman included.
FlyerEC and ridefar like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I had a driver from FS Amman in Jordan to FS Damascus when it first opened and that was quite an experience, but in those days, Syria was a very cosmopolitan and tolerant country, whereas Saudi Arabia is anything but. We got a Syrian visa at the checkpoint, but I doubt very much if this is possible when entering Saudi!

Another consideration to bear in mind is Saudi's Crown Prince. Let us not forget how he imprisoned people such as Prince Al Waleed, not that long ago. I would be
Ah yes, border crossings I have known and loved. Checkpoint Charlie was also fun. I'm looking forward to England into Scotland.

But back to topic, I do have memories of staying in Aqaba in 1983, having driven down from Palmyra, and the hotel was full of expats from Saudi who had driven up from the border desperate for a cold beer, just like Ice Cold in Alex.

I think I would go to Saudi and these Amans which seem to be in the middle of staggering scenery and historical sites, full of Aurens interest.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Hopefully Aman Jerusalem will follow this announcement. The old Mt Zion hotel would be the perfect location for an Urban Resort.

One can dream.....
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by deer
But the Aman will be a "special economic zone" with Bikinis & Champagne, I strongly assume (learning from Dubai...)
Saudi Arabia is not Dubai and I doubt they will go as far. Perhaps I´m wrong but I don´t think we will see such things there.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
This is a tough one for me
I´m always a fan of optimism but I don´t share yours in this point. I´m convinced even on property it will not be tolerant and (at least) outside a male kissing another male could result in unpleasant reactions. You should never underestimate fanatism.
TargetTravels likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Anyone have a sense as to when in 2020 Amanvari is opening?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by offerendum
I´m always a fan of optimism but I don´t share yours in this point. I´m convinced even on property it will not be tolerant and (at least) outside a male kissing another male could result in unpleasant reactions. You should never underestimate fanatism.
A male shouldn't kiss a female in public in Morocco, but I would have zero issues staying at the Aman there. There is a Grand Canyon sized gulf between the legal, political, human rights, and tolerance associated with Morocco and Saudi Arabia. Not to mention the exceptionally distasteful and disturbing individuals who will profit from Aman Saudi Arabia.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:38 am

Ah yes, border crossings I have known and loved. Checkpoint Charlie was also fun. I'm looking forward to England into Scotland.

But back to topic, I do have memories of staying in Aqaba in 1983, having driven down from Palmyra, and the hotel was full of expats from Saudi who had driven up from the border desperate for a cold beer, just like Ice Cold in Alex.

I think I would go to Saudi and these Amans which seem to be in the middle of staggering scenery and historical sites, full of Aurens interest.
If you want authentic TE Lawrence, then go to Aqaba in Jordan, or if you want the film sets, then Morocco. Maybe men do not have a problem with Saudi Arabia, but as a woman, I certainly do.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Aman Bangkok announced

Bangkok Real Estate Company Nai Lert announced together with Aman CEO Doronin, that they will build and open a hotel in the centre of Bangkok called, sic!, Aman Nai Lert, to open in 2022.

Near to the Erawan shopping area, there was huge Swissotel Nai Lert, which is closed now and sold to a hospital company, which plans to convert it to a "wellness hospital". In a very small park next to it, there is Nai Lert Park Heritage home, which is an old teak house with a restaurant and event facilities. So maybe, the Aman will be placed there, inmidst a not very romantic inner city concrete jungle location, but quite close to the shopping malls.

But let's wait for more details and hope for some spectacular architectonic ideas!

https://www.nationthailand.com/property/30376029
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by deer; Sep 10, 2019 at 9:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.