Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking back on Aman rumors - What came true and what didn't

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Looking back on Aman rumors - What came true and what didn't

I came across this thread (New and rumored Amanresorts / GHM Hotels - the 2012 thread) started just shy of 7 years ago. It covers a bunch of potential properties, an impressive number of which (7) came to fruition.

Quick recap:

Correct predictions:
Originally Posted by deer
- Aman in Lijiang, north western Yunnan Province [...] Opening 2013 according to AmanJunkies (Gallivanters reports about April 2013)
Amandayan, opened in 2015

Aman in Venice, Italy, at Palazzo Papadopoli. [...] Opening late 2013 according to Gallivanter's
Aman Venice, opened in 2013

Aman Vinh Hy in Vietnam [...] Gallivanter's speculating about a 2013 opening
Amanoi, opened in 2013

Aman Tokyo in Otemachi district, scheduled for 2014 according to vuittonsofstyle.
Aman Tokyo, opened in 2014

Aman on Playa Grande, Dominican Republic, a Golf Resort designed by John Heah.
Amanera, opened in 2015, designed by Jean-Michel Gathy

Amankea on spectacular Kea Island in Greece 60 kilometers southeast of Athens - designed by FS-Sayan-Spaceship-Architect John Heah, found first by Ericka.
Amanzoe, opened in 2012, designed by Ed Tuttle

Very, very speculative rumors about Amanresorts in Amman (Jordan), St Petersburg, Sicily, Bermuda, Maui, Costa Rica, Kenia, Cuba, Los Angeles and New York on flyertalk.
Only the last one is coming true (very very speculative shot in the dark guess that hit the bullseye it seems). Aman New York, opening in 2020.

Strong Rumors that unfortunately never came true

Amanoca close to Angra dos Reis, 2,5 hours from Rio de Janeiro. JM Gathy from Denniston will be designing. Only 20 room resort plus private villas for sale, on 70 acres of land including beach and marina. http://www.atlasholdingsintl.com/projects/brazil.php
First spotted by Air Junkie. Opening late 2013/early 2014 according to GK1998. Cheesy non-Aman website: http://amanoca.com/
This one interests me. South America has so many locations that just scream for an Aman. Unfortunate it never came to be, as the image(s) seen looked beautiful. See here (found by googling 'Amanoca'): https://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/...brazil-amanoca

- Amanduna in Comporta, Portugal (a natural reserve 1 hour from Lisboa), opening possibly in 2013. Sadly no ocean views. Next to Park Hyatt etc.: http://alcacergolf.com/Location/StrategicContext/ and http://www.herdadedacomporta.pt/en/tourism/amanduna/.
Portugal is another area I could definitely envision an Aman (Douro Valley or Porto). This rumor seemed somewhat solid.

Rumors that specifically pique my interest

6 (!) Amanresorts in Gabon, West Africa:
- A resort with 20 luxury tents to the south of the Loango National Park
- A hotel with 30 villas on the Phare de Ngombe site in the Pongara National Park just outside of Libreville
- A hotel with 30 suites in Libreville
- A hotel with 30 suites in the Lopé National Park
- A hotel with 30 villas on the Kongou Falls site in the Ivindo National Park and a resort with 10 tents on the Langoué site in the same park
- A resort with 15 tents in the Batéké Plateaux National Park
First spotted by Gallivanter's Guide and paul2, now offical reports of the signing ceremony: legabon.org.-&nbspThis website is for sale!.-&nbsplegabon Resources and Information.
This is crazy and so over the top but has enough details that it could have very well been real.

3 more Amanresorts in Brazil, according to paul2, starting with:
- Aman at Alagoas, a spectacular site on the north east of Brazil, mentonied by paul2. Actual status: postponed.
- Aman at the Amazon. Told by Zecha in interview in 2008 (found by Kagehitokiri). Status: Pre-development.
- Aman at Pantanal (first mentioned by paul2). Status: Pre-development.
Like my comments regarding Amanoca, South America, especially Brazil, has so many environments that suit the brand and would surely be spectacular locations for an exclusive ultra-luxury property. All 3 locations mentioned are jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Amancrag atop of Penang Hill (800 meters) at Penang Island, Malaysia. Spotted first by south_sea99, it will be the conversion of an old colonial hotel into a 20 villa Amanresort, most likely with quite spectacular bungalow design. See [...] at the end of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BE&f...&v=T5ArDgHsRbk. Planned opening in 2014, now some bureaucratic problems...
Still waiting for a property in Malaysia... either on the Malay Peninsula or out in Borneo, maybe near Tawau. Googling 'Amancrag' shows mockups of the villas, as well as this fairly detailed article: https://www.edgeprop.my/content/crag...mancrag-resort

Amanmara in Kenya, spotted by Paul2: "If you try to open www.amanmara.com you are brought straight to the main amanresorts website.
C'mon Doronin, you know you can make the greatest safari property of all time, so do it!

AMAN - CANCELLED:
- Amaniwa in Kyoto, about 1 km from the Golden Temple of Kinkakuji.
Interesting that this is in the 'Cancelled' section. Last I read (about a month ago), this project was alive and there may be a 2021/22/23 opening. Anyone seen anything?

Comments? Thoughts?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Interesting that this is in the 'Cancelled' section. Last I read (about a month ago), this project was alive and there may be a 2021/22/23 opening. Anyone seen anything?

Comments? Thoughts?
I don't believe Amaniwa is cancelled. Lots of talk about it (including some member on here who's seen the construction area I think), plus if you look at the 2019/20 Aman jet journeys on their website Kyoto is the first destination (and it says hotel TBA)... Wouldn't imagine they'd outsource this hotel on their jet journey so I think that all but confirms a definite Aman opening in Kyoto by 2020.

https://www.aman.com/expeditions/kyo...t-journey-2020
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by bsb10
I don't believe Amaniwa is cancelled. Lots of talk about it (including some member on here who's seen the construction area I think), plus if you look at the 2019/20 Aman jet journeys on their website Kyoto is the first destination (and it says hotel TBA)... Wouldn't imagine they'd outsource this hotel on their jet journey so I think that all but confirms a definite Aman opening in Kyoto by 2020.

https://www.aman.com/expeditions/kyo...t-journey-2020
One would hope....but they did outsource in Dubai, and to Burj al Arab of all places. Wonder if they allow you to make substitutions on this trip....
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Niwa is supposed to open late 2019 or early 2020.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Interesting that it's not on the Aman website yet (but Vari and NY are).
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 5khours
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Interesting that it's not on the Aman website yet (but Vari and NY are).
From what I gather , will miss the RWC which means after early November . Was hoping to have a meal there as the usual teething issues are expected & after years of delays , bureaucratic and otherwise As usual , the Aman folks on the ground are left cautiously in the dark . But the informed locals are coy too ..
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:06 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Not new openings but reopenings...

On the wrong side, many didn't expect Amanruya to reopen as an Aman.
There's also the small question of Hotel Bora Bora.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.