Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex 5X Points on Air Fare vs Travel Agent

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Amex 5X Points on Air Fare vs Travel Agent

Anyone had any thoughts on not booking flights through your usual agent (assuming you have one)? I like the service he provides, but seems like a tempting deal to pass up.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:18 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Hotelsforlife
Anyone had any thoughts on not booking flights through your usual agent (assuming you have one)? I like the service he provides, but seems like a tempting deal to pass up.
I think this applies to everything, not just flights. If you have a good working relationship with your agent, I would suggest to check with the agent to see if s/he can match any deals/offers/rates etc.

If s/he cannot match the deal/offer/rate, and if you think the offer is too good to pass up or presents great savings, go right ahead!

If the deal/offer/rate is extremely time sensitive, gauge how your agent typically responds and confirms etc and based on that, either go ahead with the agent or book it independently.

For many hotel rates at least, if you see a time sensitive deal/offer/rate and decide to go ahead and make the booking immediately and book it through the hotel directly, you may even be able to transfer this booking over to the agent to handle for a few reasons:
- Any added exclusive amenities/benefits combinable with the offer that the agent can provide?
- Agent to 'handle' the booking (many on this forum contact hotel/GM directly, many let agent handle the little details)
- Based on working relationship with the agent, you may want the agent to make commission so this would be helpful

I hope that helps!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:17 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
My understanding is that as long as your Amex is charged by the airline with a valid 13 digit ticket number it does not matter who issued the ticket for the calculation of 5x points.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I almost always book direct (and if not simply through Amex travel) so not the best help but...

My understanding that especially for international tickets, travel agents may use wholesale or private contracts that are comissionable and probably would not be valid for 5x points from Amex.However, if the airline is the one who charges your card for the ticket and your agent just charges a separate booking fee, you will most probably still get the 5x as AMEX gets the ticket number and ticket info and sees that it is airfare

So YMMV, but you probably would need to check with your agent to confirm how the ticket is booked
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I'm not an air expert (in fact, have never done an air booking via Sabre), but I believe that when booking air through Sabre, the system sends the credit card to the airline at ticketing. Historically, Sabre was American Airlines' own ticketing system.

I believe the charge will show up on your credit card statement as UA, AA, etc. — definitely not the travel agency — so you should get the 5X points with the Amex promotion.

If you have a trusted air agent, keep using him/her! One advantage you'll get is someone to monitor your flights and proactively work on your behalf in the event of difficulties. Doubt you'd get that level of service from an Amex Platinum agent or their website.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Not a frequent occurrence but for some venues some TAs including Virtuoso can upgrade at time of booking which is a very fine and rare benefit.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going to let this run for a bit and then move it to the Amex forum where the OP may get additional useful responses.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
I think it depends on the travel agent. In the US, my travel agent shows up on my Amex statement as representing EVA AIR with an eva address. I've gotten 5x points booking through them. In Taiwan, my TA doesn't show up as eva on my statement and I don't get 5x points from them. If you've booked through this TA before, take a look at the details of your statement.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
I almost always book direct (and if not simply through Amex travel) so not the best help but...

My understanding that especially for international tickets, travel agents may use wholesale or private contracts that are comissionable and probably would not be valid for 5x points from Amex.However, if the airline is the one who charges your card for the ticket and your agent just charges a separate booking fee, you will most probably still get the 5x as AMEX gets the ticket number and ticket info and sees that it is airfare

So YMMV, but you probably would need to check with your agent to confirm how the ticket is booked

have you tried and checked if you would still get the 5x via Saber or would it be considered third party ?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
I'm not an air expert (in fact, have never done an air booking via Sabre), but I believe that when booking air through Sabre, the system sends the credit card to the airline at ticketing. Historically, Sabre was American Airlines' own ticketing system.

I believe the charge will show up on your credit card statement as UA, AA, etc. — definitely not the travel agency — so you should get the 5X points with the Amex promotion.

If you have a trusted air agent, keep using him/her! One advantage you'll get is someone to monitor your flights and proactively work on your behalf in the event of difficulties. Doubt you'd get that level of service from an Amex Platinum agent or their website.

would Saber be acceptable for the 5x?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
You will get the 5X points with Amex whether you book through American Express, on the airline's website, or through a travel agent (i.e., a Sabre booking). The airline charges your card, not the TA.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
You will get the 5X points with Amex whether you book through American Express, on the airline's website, or through a travel agent (i.e., a Sabre booking). The airline charges your card, not the TA.

thanks a lot Dave. I’m hoping because when the trans is pending it will say “Delta” for the delta ticket but when it posts it will switch to my business name so I was confused there. Also when I called Amex I got two different answers one was “no because it’s a third party website “ and the other one was “we won’t know till the statement hits”
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:37 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently this is a dup thread to one in the Amex forum, so closing this one.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.