In Search of Toto Toilets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Search of Toto Toilets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Happy to report that The Peninsula Istanbul features Toto washlets in their rooms with a tablet as command center.

Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:54 am

Thanks for sharing... that tablet is the most Peninsula thing I have seen all year Hopefully no software updates / outages during usage
KatW likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: Am Ex Platinum, American, Jet Blue, Marriott, Hotels.com, Relais & Chateaux, American, Delta, United
Toto toilet smell

I have seen posts on how great these toilets are, and perhaps that is for home use. I have encountered a few - at a Four Seasons hotel in Japan and a Ritz Carlton in Montreal. Both toilets have a disgusting smell before they are even used, and I am wondering if it is how they are cleaned or self clean. I add that it is not a "bathroom" smell like urine or feces, but a stale dirty smell that pervades the area. The noise, the automatic opening, auto flush and suprises that come from operation (I pushed the "dryer" button and got a butt shower instead) are all annoying but manageable, but the smell is nauseating and makes me wonder how dirty these toilets and the water they use actually are.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:27 pm

Programs: Accor Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by debryan
I have seen posts on how great these toilets are, and perhaps that is for home use. I have encountered a few - at a Four Seasons hotel in Japan and a Ritz Carlton in Montreal. Both toilets have a disgusting smell before they are even used, and I am wondering if it is how they are cleaned or self clean. I add that it is not a "bathroom" smell like urine or feces, but a stale dirty smell that pervades the area. The noise, the automatic opening, auto flush and suprises that come from operation (I pushed the "dryer" button and got a butt shower instead) are all annoying but manageable, but the smell is nauseating and makes me wonder how dirty these toilets and the water they use actually are.
I had two Neorest 700h at home and that smell is starting to be there after 3 years. I believe it comes from the odor filter (ironically) which is not replaceable. I recently sold my condo so it doesn't bother me anymore but it is really an issue. The ones at the Ritz Montreal which are 12 years old really have a strong smell which is very unfortunate.

I have decided to try a cheaper brand for the 3 toilets in my new house, Ecoway, and I am very happy with them even if they are 8x cheaper than the Toto and no smell at all so far (after 1 year)
Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:09 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by debryan
Originally Posted by mbutler
I had two Neorest 700h at home and that smell is starting to be there after 3 years. I believe it comes from the odor filter (ironically) which is not replaceable. I recently sold my condo so it doesn't bother me anymore but it is really an issue. The ones at the Ritz Montreal which are 12 years old really have a strong smell which is very unfortunate.

I have decided to try a cheaper brand for the 3 toilets in my new house, Ecoway, and I am very happy with them even if they are 8x cheaper than the Toto and no smell at all so far (after 1 year)
Smell is a problem for long term Neorests, and "oil" leak as well. It's not actually oil but some sort of black substance that leaks out from the control unit. Personally I now go for a high end Washlet+ , which is just the cover sold by Toto. Only feature it lacks is the auto-flush which is no big deal since I prefer concealed / wall mounted cisterns in any case.

With Washlet+ , it's 5x cheaper and can be easily detached for an easy clean. Recently saw them in the public toilets at Changi T4, however didn't managed to take a picture.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
To add another data point, I've had two Toto Neorest Washlet self-flushing toilets with a "Hybrid Ecology System" (marketing speak no doubt) in our house in Japan since 2008 and they have never needed to be serviced nor have they ever emitted the foul odor mentioned above.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:24 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
To add another data point, I've had two Toto Neorest Washlet self-flushing toilets with a "Hybrid Ecology System" (marketing speak no doubt) in our house in Japan since 2008 and they have never needed to be serviced nor have they ever emitted the foul odor mentioned above.
Ditto. We've had two Toto washlet toilets in our Japan home since 2009, and only recently replaced them with a new Toto model. We've never had any mechanical problems with either of them, nor have we experienced any odor problems whatsoever.

Furthermore, I've yet to come across Totos in hotels/ryokans that have emitted strange odor. Moldy smell from shower/vanity area/carpet, yes. Toilets, no.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Ditto. We've had two Toto washlet toilets in our Japan home since 2009, and only recently replaced them with a new Toto model. We've never had any mechanical problems with either of them, nor have we experienced any odor problems whatsoever.

Furthermore, I've yet to come across Totos in hotels/ryokans that have emitted strange odor. Moldy smell from shower/vanity area/carpet, yes. Toilets, no.
I have one of the first Neorests and its worked perfectly since day 1. Same with an older Panasonic covertop one as well.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:31 pm

Talking Toto Neorest Smell Issues?

Originally Posted by Aventine
I have one of the first Neorests and its worked perfectly since day 1. Same with an older Panasonic covertop one as well.
We have two Toto 700's in the guest house, and one of them smelled nasty from the get-go, that made me want to completely avoid using that toilet - and NEVER use the bidet feature. Eeuuuww!
We did somehow manage to get a new filter, after much harrassment of both the Toto rep., and the local plumbing supply house who FINALLY was able to locate and order a new filter, pre-covid.

In the main house we have Toto Neorest NX2 for the last 3 years in the bathrooms, and none of them have a smell problem at all.
I have to admit, when we go on vacation, it always baffles me now in the bathrooms that the lid doesn't open by itself, the seat isn't heated, and the toilets don't flush by themselves. Except the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills had a Toto lid lifting/heated seat/automatic flush in one of their suites last month - heaven
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:06 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Aventine
Hmmm. I have two Neorest RH, and no problems whatsoever. And the smell got better, not worse.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
The Skyline category of room or higher, and all suites at the Capella Sydney are outfitted with Toto washlets. Last year I was in a Tower Room, which didn't have a washlet, and the hotel staff on a recent stay, after I mentioned I was pleasantly surprised that my Skyline room had a Toto, explained that only certain rooms have them. BTW, another very nice stay at that property.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I had one this week at Villa La Coste. One of the smallest toilets I ever had and everything else than convenient.

cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: all of 'em.
Originally Posted by offerendum
I had one this week at Villa La Coste. One of the smallest toilets I ever had and everything else than convenient.
That little side control panel is nifty. Does it flip up or down when not in use?
Pretty soon we'll be programming these toilets on a hologram, waving our arms around, like Tom Cruise in Minority Report.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Funny thread. First report:

The Chatwal Lodge, Upstate NY.

The seat was very, VERY warm though. I could for the life of me not figure out if there was a way to adjust the temperature of the seat down. Is there? I nearly burned my bum every time I had to sit down!

cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Smiley90
The seat was very, VERY warm though. I could for the life of me not figure out if there was a way to adjust the temperature of the seat down. Is there? I nearly burned my bum every time I had to sit down!
Yes, there is. There are settings on the LCD screen on back of the remote control, which is not accessible if the remote is screwed into the wall mount (as it often is at hotels).
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.