Wiki Posts
Search

In Search of Toto Toilets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

In Search of Toto Toilets

Is the Toto toilet the new luxury amenity?

My first encounter with one such (which was hilarious) was in a signature villa at Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo where I have stayed twice. I currently am, er, flushing with modest delight at my third encounter in a signature Valencia suite at Rancho Valencia near San Diego.

Other sightings?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:54 pm

They have them at the Peninsula Paris and the Shangri La at The Shard in London. 45 Park Lane / Coworth Park uses Geberit bidet toilets. We have Toto toilets in our home and after having lived with them for years it disappoints me a little to stay in hotels without them. I grew up in Japan so bidet toilets aren’t so much a novelty as normality for me.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:59 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

When you say they have them at the Peninsula Paris and Shandri-La Paris and the Shard in London, I assume you mean in the highest end accommodations, not in every room, correct?

Insofar as North American venues are concerned, I think the Toto is just cresting now. Yes, behind Asia and Europe, imagine.

Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:30 am

Every room in The Connaught's contemporary wing has them; as well as every room in Amanzoe, Aman Tokyo and Park Hyatt Sydney; suites in Park Hyatt Zurich and Peninsula Tokyo (unsurprisingly) had them, but they were probably beta 1.0 as they were rather....used? Tired, let's go with tired. Probably loads more I cannot remember, especially as every hotel in Japan seems to have a quota of 5 Toto's per human. I find it more and more common these days, but they're no longer guaranteed to be Toto as other brands have replicated it, e.g. Baur au Lac and Il Sereno even, much to my surprise, had a remote control.

The Connaught's contemporary wing was built over 10 years ago, so they are probably more prevalent than you think.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I woukd be unsurprised to be behind the curve,
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I assume the discussion is about hotels outside of Japan, since it seems like washlets are pretty standard in Japan?

Perhaps ironically, the renovated standard rooms I've stayed in at the Hyatt Regency Churchill in London do have washlets, but many of the suites do not have washlets as they have separate physical French-style bidets.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:59 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
They're quite prevalent (or another brand, if not TOTO) in hotels (typically more cities than resorts) around Asia, especially new builds or recently renovated/heavily refurbished.

Always disappointing when new builds don't have one!
expatOWflyer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I was at The Fontenay in Hamburg a few months ago and the rooms had the washlets. They weren't Toto but rather a Swiss brand, the name of which escapes me.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jiaotze
I was at The Fontenay in Hamburg a few months ago and the rooms had the washlets. They weren't Toto but rather a Swiss brand, the name of which escapes me.
Geberit, perhaps?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by KatW
When you say they have them at the Peninsula Paris and Shandri-La Paris and the Shard in London, I assume you mean in the highest end accommodations, not in every room, correct?

Insofar as North American venues are concerned, I think the Toto is just cresting now. Yes, behind Asia and Europe, imagine.

As far as I’m aware every accommodation level has a Toto toilet in both the Shangri La London and Peninsula Paris. Every grade of accommodation in 45PL has a Geberit bidet toilet. Mansion House Premium Suites at Coworth Park and one of the Mansion House Executive Suites (but not my favourite one sadly) has Geberit bidet toilets. They seem to be increasing in popularity.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:00 am

I'm pretty sure every room has them at the Ritz Carlton Montréal.

I have been 3 times at different room categories and they always had them
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by gengar
I assume the discussion is about hotels outside of Japan, since it seems like washlets are pretty standard in Japan?

Perhaps ironically, the renovated standard rooms I've stayed in at the Hyatt Regency Churchill in London do have washlets, but many of the suites do not have washlets as they have separate physical French-style bidets.
If it's about washlet-enabled toilets, I think so, as even simple Courtyards and business hotels have them in Japan. If it's about the Toto brand in particular I'm not sure.

Does anyone have experience finding them in Bangkok?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Now I´m embarassed, but I stay at the "wrong" hotels. Never had a washlet so far.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:35 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Park Hyatt NY and suites at ARIA , Las Vegas are two which come immediately to mind along with some restaurants in SoCal
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Toto toilets are pretty common in Asia. Not much difference from seeing American Standard or such in the US.

Having a inseat sprayer, or separate hand sprayer is super common in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and many other Asian countries. If you’re talking about the deluxe Toto toilets with air blower, heated seats, automatic seat lowering, then that’s a slightly different beast.
Rampo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.