Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:44 pm

Am curious, where did the MO Concierge manage to get you into last minute?

Restaurant bookings are crazy in Japan now and hotel concierges seem to have less pull than before. My advice is to book online yourself
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by HKTraveler

Restaurant bookings are crazy in Japan now and hotel concierges seem to have less pull than before. My advice is to book online yourself
A lot of the restaurants, especially high-end, don't allow online booking. Need to call. Some even only allow Japanese phone calls.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 4:35 pm
nlf

kikunoi akasaka (2 star) day-of booking
sushi keita on a saturday

We did a lot more casual/no reservation places this time around though
HKTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
A lot of the restaurants, especially high-end, don't allow online booking. Need to call. Some even only allow Japanese phone calls.
The trend is slowly changing and some do allow online booking. Even top sushi places like Sugita and Sawada are online but it really varies by shop

Originally Posted by nlf
kikunoi akasaka (2 star) day-of booking
sushi keita on a saturday

We did a lot more casual/no reservation places this time around though
Sounds like a good combination! Haven't been to Kikunoi Akasaka but I have booked Sushi Keita on Pocket Concierge before (on the Japanese language site)

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 23, 2023 at 8:12 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old May 2, 2023, 5:25 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Here's my quick review of Four Seasons Tokyo Otemachi.

Old May 6, 2023, 2:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
They did receive my emails but they are just sloooooooooooow! On the other hand, the GH didn’t receive my initial email but once I called to make sure I have the right email address, they responded 3 times within an afternoon
Does anyone have the GH concierge email? I'd like to make some sushi reservations.

Anyone happen to know a great sushi place in Tokyo where I can order by the piece? Been eating Omakase for a few weeks and while amazing experiences, tired of getting too much Ika, Roe, Saba, and too little Chu Toro, Toro, Sake, etc.
Old May 6, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Does anyone have the GH concierge email? I'd like to make some sushi reservations.

Anyone happen to know a great sushi place in Tokyo where I can order by the piece? Been eating Omakase for a few weeks and while amazing experiences, tired of getting too much Ika, Roe, Saba, and too little Chu Toro, Toro, Sake, etc.
This won't be very luxury, but I'd try a GOOD conveyor belt sushi place just for the experience.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Shimbashi Tsuruhachi (https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1301/A130103/13173432/) is a good shop that lets customers order okonomi. Sake is not an Edomae neta, only cheap kaiten sushi type places serve it.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 10:50 am

I would agree, re: hoshinoya. Especially for those who haven't been to jp /Tokyo. Would highly recommend as a first stay. Also much cheaper compared to aman. On second and onward trips, then look at others or different areas. That’s what we did 🤷‍♂️ Only other rec I would have is trunk hotel - but everyone’s travel style/preference is different
Old May 7, 2023, 11:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by HuntingwithHazel
I would agree, re: hoshinoya. Especially for those who haven't been to jp /Tokyo. Would highly recommend as a first stay. Also much cheaper compared to aman. On second and onward trips, then look at others or different areas. That’s what we did 🤷‍♂️ Only other rec I would have is trunk hotel - but everyone’s travel style/preference is different
Note that Hoshinoya Tokyo has no views, no suites, and the largest room (Kiku) has a really odd layout. For me, I'd take a suite at Aman, MO, either FS, Palace Hotel, Pen or even Shangri-La over Hoshinoya any day of the week.
instyleprincess likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 11:24 am

Do not differ, unless it’s your first time in JP/tokyo. For those getting off flight, stumbling through navigating train, and experiencing a foreign culture, I would recommend Hoshinoya. Shoes off at entrance, awesome onsen, plus not terrible cost for decent king bed in similar location for exploration. Again, for me, I’d go for something in a different location based on my preferences but for a first timer (and usually one on a special or extravagant trip), I’d go hoshinoya.

random night, Oct 22. Aman corner suite = $4k usd, 1 night. Hoshinoya Yuri = $450 usd per person.

Again, for someone focused on exploring/first timers, no brainer. Spend on treatments, dinners, experiences. Hell with $3k/night difference, do private tours and tastings. If returning, book a desired location (eg: trunk, maybe other boutiques?). Same reason I would not do four seasons in Kyoto
Old May 8, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Conrad vs. Palace

Just back from a one-night award stay at the Conrad, our first visit there since 2011. We have been staying at the Palace Hotel on our visits to Japan, but we had a one-night Tokyo stay and enough points for that one night. I thought I would provide a bit of contrast between the two:

Staff: The Palace staff are much more formal than the Conrad. Neither good nor bad here, just an observation.

Breakfast Buffet: The Palace Hotel buffet is the clear winner here on food choices as well as ambiance.

Japanese Restaurant: We find that the Palace Hotel's Wadakura restaurant is much more peaceful a dining environment, with tranquil water features vs. the Conrad's Kazahana. In the Kazahana, which is right off the lobby, one can hear the music and noise from the lobby. A real annoyance, but I have to admit that some of the food preparation is very tasty and unique.

Location: We much prefer the Palace as a place from which to enjoy a great walk. However, our Conrad location enabled our very first visit to the Hamarikyu Garden, which we enjoyed. Way too many people at the Tsujiki Open Market, but that was our first time there as well.

Room: We have been staying in the Palace's club-level, and not sure whether the room layouts are different that their typical rooms. At the Conrad, we got their standard room and was not upgraded. We found the Palace rooms to be larger and a much better bathroom layout. We loved the Conrad pillows, and of course the rubber ducky.

Fellow travelers: The Palace Hotel has a mostly Japanese clientele, while the Conrad seemed like we were in NYC. As we like visiting Japan, we did not like the feeling of being in NYC.

Fitness Center: Big plus for the Palace Hotel. The Conrad’s fitness room seemed to be a jumble of stashed equipment.

In sum, an enjoyable stay at the Conrad, but we will stick to the Palace Hotel.
Revolution and KI-NRT like this.

Last edited by 747FC; May 8, 2023 at 11:57 pm Reason: Fitness Center info
Old May 8, 2023, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by HuntingwithHazel
random night, Oct 22. Aman corner suite = $4k usd, 1 night. Hoshinoya Yuri = $450 usd per person.
I'd say it's not worth it to shell out that much money over a suite at Aman just to get a separated dining area. Premier room alone is already good enough with roughly similar room size and price compared with the top room at Hoshinoya
Old May 9, 2023, 7:58 am

I don't think Hoshinoya should be compared to the usual luxury options in Tokyo - it's a different experience which is pleasant in its own way, but they can't really hope to compete on a number of aspects, particularly the hotel amenities and facilities, as well as F&B.

I also found the underground taxi access in/out of the hotel deeply frustrating, with taxi drivers not knowing where to drop you off, and always needing to call for a taxi and wait rather than grabbing one from the taxi rank.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:07 am

Hoshinoya Tokyo is like a ryokan. It's very nice for one night, and one night only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.