North American Countryside/Wilderness Luxury Venues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

[For U.K. Countryside click here: English countryside hotels

In North America, leaving aside Mexico for the nonce, luxury country hotels and resorts can be bucketed in the general categories listed below. This is not, and is not meant to be, an exhaustive index so I welcome additions and discussion of the topic.

My general criteria -- Not gargantuan, not too corporate although instances of some some brands qualify, regional appeal and activities, beautiful setting, super service, commendable comestibles and potables, loaded with grace even when rural or casual, generous welcome, lovely comfortable accommodations, golfcourse not a plus.

Former Country Estates
The Point (Saranac Lake, NY)
Twin Farms (Vermont)
Manoir Hovey (Eastern Townships, Quebec)
Balantyre (Berkshires, Massachusetts)
Wheatleigh (Berkshires, Massachusetts)
Castle Hill Inn (Rhode Island, also in the Coastal category)

Coastal
Post Ranch Inn (Big Sur, California)
Hidden Pond (Maine)
Ocean House (Rhode Island)

Southern U.S. Seaboard
Lodge on Little St. Simons Island (Georgia)
Inn at Perry Cabin (Maryland, a Belmond property)

Napa Sonoma California
Calistoga Ranch (Calistoga)
Auberge du Soleil (Rutherford)
Meadowood (Rutherford)

Upscale Western Dude Ranches
Triple Creek (Montana)
Rock Creek (Montana)
Paws Up (Montana)
Brush Creek (Wyoming)

Nature Experiences
Tweedsmuir Lodge (British Columbia)
Nimmo Bay Lodge (British Columbia)
Clayoquot (British Columbia)

Other
Amangiri (Utah)
Amangani (Jackson's Hole, Wyoming)
Blackberry Farm (Tennessee)
The Swag (North Carolina, Great Smokey Mountains)
L'Auberge de Sedona (Arizona)
Four Seasons Encantado (New Mexico near Santa Fe)

A related category might be National Park Lodges less-grand-now-but-still-worth-a-visit, e.g., Ahwanee, the lodges at Banff, Yellowstone, Glacier. And, the unclassifiable Mohonk Mountain House in upstate New York.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 8, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:41 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by KatW
A related category might be National Park Lodges less-grand-now-but-still-worth-a-visit, e.g., Ahwanee, the lodges at Banff, Yellowstone, Glacier. .
It's really tough to find somewhere acceptable in a National Park Lodge. Here's the best of what there is at these parks:

Glacier National Park
- Lake McDonald Lodge, west end of park - Cobb House Suite - separate building, recently renovated, I think there are 5 rooms
- Many Glacier Hotel - we booked a lakeside suite which was apparently only shown on the website for one week. The Natioinal Park Service vetoed it, wanting the maximum number of beds in the hotel. I see a picture of a room called a suite on the website. It shows a sofa in a room with a bed so not a real suite

Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel - Presidential Suite, 2 bedrooms, intended for parents and children but not two couples. Beautiful suite.

Death Valley Natonal Park
- Inn at Furnace Creek - appears to be closed for renovation and is being renamed. It has two suites. We stayed in the one by the dining room and found it very comfortable.

Lake Powell
- Lake Powell Resort - I don't think there are any luxurious rooms here

Bryce, Zion -
- stunning scenery but the best I can say about the lodging is that it gets you inside the park for ease in sightseeing. Staying at Zion Lodge allows you to drive up the valley. Otherwise, you have to take the bus that the park provides - and good luck finding parking near bus pick up points

Yosemite -
- Ahwahnee, or whatever it is named now, is a pleasant place to stay. However, as with all the national parks, it's tough to get a room let alone one of their suites. Recently we rented a house within the park at Yosemite West. It's a great way to stay in the park with friends.

It's important to learn when lodging becomes open in the national parks. For Yellowstone, it opens on May 1 for the following year. For Glacier, it opens on the first of the month for that month the following year. Rooms go very very fast, particularly better rooms. Service is non existent. Staff is all seasonal, some brought in for just 3 or 4 weeks.
KatW, mstraveler, the_etk and 1 others like this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 8, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:08 am

We enjoyed Sorrel River Ranch near Moab (close to Arches and Canyonlands National Park). The rooms were comfortable but the service and onsite restaurant were great and it is definitely worth considering if you are in the area. Certainly much better than Lake Yellowstone Hotel for example.

Zion: We stayed at Cable Mountain Lodge and had a one bedroom suite with a large kitchen / living room and bedroom. The service style is not luxurious - more motel than luxury hotel but the room was very new, well equipped and comfortable and it is right by the park entrance so only a 2 minute walk to the bus shuttles and an easy walk into the park if you fancied.

In Canada, the Post Hotel, Lake Louise and Fairmont Lake Louise and both "luxury" hotels although definitely not as upscale as some of those in the OP
KatW and Fliar like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:46 am

This is a great thread^

Lake Placid Lodge is very nice. Dunton Hot Springs in Colorado also looks good, although I have not been.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:42 am

We enjoyed our stay last fall at Gateway Canyons Resort, near Grand Junction, CO on the Colorado/Utah border. Definitely in a Casita room or better. Plenty to do in the area and close enough to take a day trip to Moab. We will also be staying at Ultima Thule lodge in Wrangell-St. Elias N.P. this summer, which looks similar to some of OP's choices.
Travlur likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I'd also add Dunton Hot Springs, it's a lot more refined now, but I really enjoy the whole rustic yet luxurious getaway experience.
KatW likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:08 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Fogo Island Inn could be under Nature experiences... but the community aspect makes it a harder fit into this list

Ted Turner's properties could be placed somewhere in this list.....
Ranch and Lodge Properties - Ted Turner Expeditions
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you, ABG. I had no idea about the Turner properties.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 10, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luxury (Nice) Hotels in Remote Locations (US)
Recommendations for luxury resorts with 'cottage' style accommodation in the US

gallaghers have left ted turner NM, adventure partners was just hired for setup

sanctuary AZ if staying in one of their houses high up on camelback mountain
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Camp Denali, in the interior of Denali National Park in Alaska - cabins have a view of Denali, guided hikes if desired, canoes, bikes available, good food, knowledgeable and proactive staff. Luxury roughing it. Highly recommended.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:21 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Alaska wilderness luxury lodges

Two really remote luxury lodges in Alaska that I'm aware of:

- Ultima Thule Lodge in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park - you get your own airplane pilot that can take you just about anywhere
- Winterlake Lodge is between Denali National Park and Lake Clark, located along the Iditarod Trail.

We are slated to pay both places a visit in Summer 2019. Can't wait for it to come soon enough.

Regarding Lake Powell, there's no need to stay anywhere near there.... Amangiri is no more than a 20 minute drive away.
FlyerEC, callmedtop and bhrubin like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Having been to Ultima Thule a few years ago, I recommend it highly if you’re at least reasonably active and not afraid of small planes. They can land the Super Cubs in unbelievable places and take off with almost no runway area. Very cool place.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by ABG
Fogo Island Inn could be under Nature experiences... but the community aspect makes it a harder fit into this list

Ted Turner's properties could be placed somewhere in this list.....
Ranch and Lodge Properties - Ted Turner Expeditions
You beat me to it. I was going to say those!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended

To a degree, I would say there is a disconnect between luxury and wilderness. In true wilderness areas, it is pretty hard to find true luxury accommodation. You usually have to compromise on one or the other.

I have stayed at quite a few of the properties listed by others above and will only add one favourite of mine that combines some aspects of luxury with wilderness.

https://arowhonpines.ca/

It is quite unique in many ways. No cell service, no phones or tv's in rooms, many would consider that alone as being wilderness. The 8 sided log cabin dining room with a large central stone fireplace and wrap around veranda is not your average dining room. Not seeing any wildlife would be an unusual day there. It is the only hotel actually in Algonquin Provincial Park and is reached from the highway over an 8 km(5 mile) gravel road. So yes, it really is in the middle of true wilderness.

Best time to visit: https://www.google.ca/search?q=algon...w=1366&bih=662
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:19 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
To a degree, I would say there is a disconnect between luxury and wilderness. In true wilderness areas, it is pretty hard to find true luxury accommodation. You usually have to compromise on one or the other.
We discovered this when we sought out luxury accomodations for our upcoming August trip to Alaska.

Our family can't believe that we are paying luxury rates for a cabin with an outhouse and drinking water from a spigot :0 at Camp Denali.

I love this thread btw. We've had the pleasure to stay at a few and have many more on our list.

Great idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.