Hong Kong: FS or LMO as first time tourist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong: FS or LMO as first time tourist

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
So, I realize the OP has likely already completed their stay, but for posterity (and future readers) I wanted to chime in as we just went through this very contemplation (FS vs. LMO), though it was not our first trip to HKG.

Ultimately we chose the FS for many of the reasons discussed; excellent hard product, nice outdoor pool area, great food/breakfast (via FHR), and good views.

That said, if I had it to do over again (or perhaps next time) I might have gone the other direction and chose the LMO. Why?

1) The FS is literally attached to the IFC Mall. Some might consider that a benefit, I do not (my wife and I are not "shoppers"). There just seemed to be a never ending stream of traffic to and fro with the mall.

2) With ~400 guest rooms and suites, this is a very large FS. And it seemed that way. As mentioned in #1, the lobby just always seemed "chaotic," loud, and very "busy" (in a way I don't prefer). I realize some in this forum are very much cut from the "see and be seen" cloth; again my wife and I are most decidedly NOT cut from that cloth. During our stay there were weddings, art auctions, and various other events. Just didn't like that "constant chaos" vibe. To be very clear, this is NOT the hotels fault; it's a large property and that goes with the territory, just doesn't align with the experience my wife and I prefer.

3) I think at this point we are over the view. No doubt that HKG has amazing views and for a first timer that is probably important. That said, in large city getaways my wife and I don't really spend that much time in the hotel; we are out exploring and experiencing the city. Though the view is awesome, once you've seen it a few times, you've seen it. It's not like I just sit there and stare out the window for hours Not having a view requirement certainly increases our options for a future stay.

Again, just to be very clear, I have no complaints at all with FSHK. Service was impeccable, breakfast was exceptional, and the hard product was very solid. I think for us it's more "big vs. small" property and that is why the boutique nature of the LMO is mildly interesting to me.

Also, the whole "Kowloon vs. Island" seems to be a bit of a religious type debate, but for the record, we've stayed on both sides and prefer the island (again, views are becoming less a driver for us).

Regards
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
3) I think at this point we are over the view. No doubt that HKG has amazing views and for a first timer that is probably important. That said, in large city getaways my wife and I don't really spend that much time in the hotel; we are out exploring and experiencing the city. Though the view is awesome, once you've seen it a few times, you've seen it. It's not like I just sit there and stare out the window for hours Not having a view requirement certainly increases our options for a future stay.

Again, just to be very clear, I have no complaints at all with FSHK. Service was impeccable, breakfast was exceptional, and the hard product was very solid. I think for us it's more "big vs. small" property and that is why the boutique nature of the LMO is mildly interesting to me.
I'm checking out of LMO later today and my view is that it doesn't actually feel like a boutique hotel; it feels busy. Getting into the spa is like going to visit relatives in prison, so thorough are all the checks as to who you are, and the MO Bar has been exceptional busy. It being right next to a mall probably doesn't do much for that boutique feeling either.

I'm with you in preferring small vs large, which is why I prefer The Siam over MOBK and Fullerton Bay over MO Singapore. I have also not been to FSHK, so cannot comment on it, but I would chip in about the view. I don't consider myself a view person either, and I often begrudge seeing the extra rates that they throw at you for the same room, but a slightly different part of the hotel. Some of them are outrageous increases. Yet the issue with LMO comes down to natural light, privacy and a REAL lack of any view at all.

Photos taken around 8am in an L600 Premier Room. Go to The Upper House instead.

Mmm, yum, office buildings.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I'm checking out of LMO later today and my view is that it doesn't actually feel like a boutique hotel; it feels busy. Getting into the spa is like going to visit relatives in prison, so thorough are all the checks as to who you are, and the MO Bar has been exceptional busy. It being right next to a mall probably doesn't do much for that boutique feeling either.

Yet the issue with LMO comes down to natural light, privacy and a REAL lack of any view at all.

Photos taken around 8am in an L600 Premier Room.

Wow. That does look dreary...and tired.

Go to The Upper House instead.
I couldn't agree more--as long as one is willing to accept no spa and no swimming pool. TUH is almost as serene as an Aman resort...but in Hong Kong.

We loved TUH. But I could care less about spa, and we visited in Jan when pool wasn't a factor.

We checked out the FSHK (and dined at LKH) and didn't like it for exactly the same reasons as the previous poster: too busy, too big, too many throngs, felt more like a conference hotel. We also checked out the LMO (and dined at Amber, which is stupendous) and also found it busy and the bar was crazy crowded.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Wow. That does look dreary...and tired.

I couldn't agree more--as long as one is willing to accept no spa and no swimming pool. TUH is almost as serene as an Aman resort...but in Hong Kong.

We loved TUH. But I could care less about spa, and we visited in Jan when pool wasn't a factor.

We checked out the FSHK (and dined at LKH) and didn't like it for exactly the same reasons as the previous poster: too busy, too big, too many throngs, felt more like a conference hotel. We also checked out the LMO (and dined at Amber, which is stupendous) and also found it busy and the bar was crazy crowded.
I'm on holidays. I need a pool to relax by and read.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm on holidays. I need a pool to relax by and read.
Then FS is where you should stay. Club level helps with any problems re hotel size.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:33 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Then FS is where you should stay. Club level helps with any problems re hotel size.
With apologies, I must disagree. The size and conference feel of the FS doesn't go away because of your room type. I'd take the Peninsula or even the RC over the FS--they both have lovely pools and tremendous service without feeling like a conference hotel.

It feels to me that many disregard the weakness of this FS simply because of the stellar reputation of the brand. That is why branding works, of course...but it also hides some less than stellar realities on many occasions. In Hong Kong, there is no reason for anyone looking for intimate luxury to have to endure anything feeling remotely like a conference hotel center. But the FS does.

A lot of people like a stellar brand because it's easy. But that doesn't always mean that brand is stellar everywhere--especially in comparison to certain alternatives in certain locations. Aman is stellar...but not stellar enough in some of its locations.

I love The Upper House...but I don't mind no spa nor pool. I said so. People who love this FS obviously don't mind a busy, not tranquil, conference feeling hotel. But let's be honest about those qualities!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:53 am

I'm someone who loathes overly busy, hectic properties - and even during our stay last year just prior to Christmas, we felt the pool, spa, and hotel were generally quite tranquil.

I'd say, debate aside, it's good we have such a plentitude of options in HK!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
TUH was definitely in the running and I'm interested in staying there at some point, but my wife actually does care about a Spa. Also, pool is tricky for me, we do enjoy it but honestly I can't seem to schedule weather "nirvana" in HKG so I don't know if that will be a driver going forward (though The Pen does have a great indoor pool)

Regards

Sorry, disagree. Club level does not alleviate the "ginormous" conference hotel feel that occurs each time one needs to be in or traversing through the lobby or other parts of the property.

Again, I have no beef with the property, but Club level would not at all mitigate the things that bothered me.

Regards

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I'm someone who loathes overly busy, hectic properties - and even during our stay last year just prior to Christmas, we felt the pool, spa, and hotel were generally quite tranquil.

I'd say, debate aside, it's good we have such a plentitude of options in HK!
Ummm... which property are you referring to? Many are being discussed here. Quoting posts in your responses helps keep things clear.

If referring to the FSHK, I guess that is what makes a market and we can happily agree to disagree because during our stay the hotel was not at all "quite tranquil" but perhaps we have different definitions of tranquil.

Regards

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 30, 2016 at 11:08 pm Reason: Consecutive posts from same member
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:54 am

My top choice is actually Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong, but I suggested Four Seasons due to the poster's comment re swimming pool. I have had nothing but good experiences at FS, however. As I said, I do believe that club level elevates the experience and makes the service more personalised, which is true of many hotels, presumably including Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong.

In addition to R-C and The Peninsula, other options with swimmimg pools could be Intercontinental and Island Shangri-la, although those are a notch or two down on the "luxury" index, they are nevertheless nice hotels.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 29, 2016 at 8:09 pm
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:01 am

My top choice is actually Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong, but I suggested Four Seasons due to the poster's comment re swimming pool. I have had nothing but good experiences at FS, however. As I said, I do believe that club level elevates the experience and makes the service more personalised, which is true of many hotels, presumably including Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong.
Fair enough and understood. And again, trying to be really, really clear (for the benefit of all who read this), we did NOT at all have a bad experience at the FSHK. In fact, it was very good as previously mentioned, service, etc. was outstanding. My comments are more around the "feel/vibe" and size of the property relative to what my wife and I prefer. That is all. It's a very fine property for many folks. In fact, as mentioned many people probably love the vibe in the lobby, just so happens I do not...

Regards
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scubadu
Fair enough and understood. And again, trying to be really, really clear (for the benefit of all who read this), we did NOT at all have a bad experience at the FSHK. In fact, it was very good as previously mentioned, service, etc. was outstanding. My comments are more around the "feel/vibe" and size of the property relative to what my wife and I prefer. That is all. It's a very fine property for many folks. In fact, as mentioned many people probably love the vibe in the lobby, just so happens I do not...

Regards

In addition to R-C and The Peninsula, other options with swimmimg pools could be Intercontinental and Island Shangri-la, although those are a notch or two down one the "luxury" index, they are nevertheless nice hotels.
Well , if only between FSHK & LMO , I would stay at FSHK & dine at Amber which was calming even when full prior during Advent just before CHRISTmas . Had lunch & breakfast - & gave my complimentary MOHK breakfasts away .
FSHK public areas are just too busy , chaotic at times .
While at LMO , once you get to the inner sanctum away from the ground level , it is generally quiet .
Personally , when my stays are long enough , it is a split with TUH followed by MOHK for spa ( have not used their tiny pool in recent memory ) .
For TUH , any room / suite with harbour view is fine .
In MOHK , it is always a room or suite with harbour views on the upper floors - preferably 22 or 23 , any room above 18 is ok for me .

Basically , I only visit FSHK ( Club Lounge included ) & LMO for meals
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:56 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

As you mentioned, there is a serious issue with light at LMO - I went for a site visit on a good, bright, sunny day, but it's not always thus in Hong Kong. I can imagine a dreary gray day being extremely dull and dark inside LMO due to how it is structured.

Having said that, one thing I did like about all the rooms (except for the L450) is that all of them are almost "pseudo-suites" which is nice. I thought the decor is okay, but as you said, much prefer the Upper House.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:22 pm

I actually like the buzz you get in the lobbies and restaurants of city hotels in the Far East. When you enter the lobby of a luxury hotel in Europe the atmosphere is often sepulchral because only wealthy tourists and business people go there. In the Far East the hotels are used by ordinary locals as well, hundreds of them, and I like to see that. They are social hubs in a way that the Connaught or the George V never could be.

So I thought the FSHK one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in, though next time I think I'll stay at the Peninsula for the views of the Island.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:30 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I actually like the buzz you get in the lobbies and restaurants of city hotels in the Far East. When you enter the lobby of a luxury hotel in Europe the atmosphere is often sepulchral because only wealthy tourists and business people go there. In the Far East the hotels are used by ordinary locals as well, hundreds of them, and I like to see that. They are social hubs in a way that the Connaught or the George V never could be.
I think you may be trying too hard to defend the FSHK--and badly missing the mark. As if the FSHK lobby is full of the "ordinary locals" wandering around town. Not.

I think European and Far East luxury hotel lobbies are far more alike in this regard than you're trying to distinguish. Sorry.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias

So I thought the FSHK one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in, though next time I think I'll stay at the Peninsula for the views of the Island.
Thanks god during my stay I didnt meet hundreds of locals in the lobby. Agree with most said about FS. I found the experience very personalized in the Club, I was really impressed. While the lobby doesnt have a boutique-feel I was never disturbed by it. Pool is one of the highlights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.