Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:58 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Where should we stay on the Big Island?
If that is the only island of interest, the pricing and value add at FS right now, while still not inexpensive, is really attractive
I think that coupled with the renovation seals the deal
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We're ready to travel. We'll have both Covid jabs yet this month. The world is not open to us but Hawaii is. Where should we stay on the Big Island?
Originally Posted by ABG
If that is the only island of interest, the pricing and value add at FS right now, while still not inexpensive, is really attractive
I think that coupled with the renovation seals the deal
Just finished up booking Hawaii for a late-May trip. I was originally set on Lanai, but decided on the Big Island since I’m looking for more activities and things to do outside of the resorts.

When looking at Hualalai vs Mauna Lani, the FS didn’t really seem much better to me - and for my specific dates, Mauna Lani was half the price. I couldn’t ignore that and booked Mauna Lani.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:51 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by United747
When looking at Hualalai vs Mauna Lani, the FS didn’t really seem much better to me - and for my specific dates, Mauna Lani was half the price. I couldn’t ignore that and booked Mauna Lani.
Mauna Lani will always be less costly than Hualalai.... but to be able to go, for example, at Easter to Hualalai in 2021 vs costing for same trip in 2019 its very, i guess interesting is the right word. If the pundits are to be believed this pricing opportunity won't be present in 2022.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:53 am

I have not stayed at Hualalai or the Mauna Lani but I visited both last month when I was staying at the Mauna Kea.

I really do not understand the appeal of Hualalai. The buildings look like other Four Seasons resorts (i.e., you could be anywhere). As others have mentioned, there is no real beach. The service is probably better than any other hotel on the Big Island and the food venues are good, but it's a sprawling resort with cookie cutter buildings. I would also note that Hualalai is the only property I visited while on the Big Island that did not ask about symptoms/take a temperature at the gate. I visited twice. My temperature was taken at the restaurant the time I went for dinner.

Mauna Lani has been very nicely renovated, although to me it looked like someone visited the Andaz on Maui and told their contractors to just copy what they had seen there. There are a few good restaurants. I dined at Canoe House and enjoyed the tasting menu. Walking around Mauna Lani at night, it felt totally soulless. Both Hualalai and Mauna Kea had more going on (or at least seemed to have more going on) in the evenings.

My family has been visiting the Mauna Kea for years. I know that people have different views on the building, the decor in the rooms and the laid back service. To me, the hotel represents exactly what I want out of a Hawaiian vacation. I have not been to any other hotel in Hawaii that has the same sense of aloha, coupled with amazing views and a stunning beach. We also quite enjoy the SOM building, the historic art collection and the deluxe rooms with two balconies and large bathrooms with a view.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:02 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Congrats!

The FS Hualalai isn't new to this forum but the recent renovation has been well received.
Had 3 sets of clients visit post renovation and all shared positive feedback. The new pool at King's Pond is just a great addition.
Con remains that the beach is not swimming friendly. But the daily sunbathing sea turtles makes up for a bit of it

Have seen many visit the new Mauna Lani and like it. But FS Hualalai seems more special to me.
When I visited Hualalai, I really liked it but thought the rooms were beyond ready for a renovation. Now that's come true, plan to return for a visit this year.
Would add... there is a large part of the beach at the FS which is carved out of lava rock and therefore swimmable. We did some snorkeling there and got some good pictures of turtles. They call it the ocean pool.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:53 pm
Original Member

But it’s not actually on the beach. It’s next to the beach. No outlet to the sea. And very cold but I did partake.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:36 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by KatW
But it’s not actually on the beach. It’s next to the beach. No outlet to the sea. And very cold but I did partake.
Champ!!!
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
RE: FS Hualalai -- It's also choppy. I'd add that I've had great fun sitting on that beach and watching inebriated guests step on sea urchins.

Did Cisco do the buyout first week of December in 2020?

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Feb 10, 2021 at 11:36 am Reason: Added resort to clarify which Hawaii resort we are talking about.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:43 am

Hawaii . . . so utterly sad.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:47 am

Maybe you’re thinking of King’s Pond. The ocean pool is in the ocean itself (along the beach, soft sand bottom).
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:50 am

Ocean pool
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ericka
Maybe you’re thinking of King’s Pond. The ocean pool is in the ocean itself (along the beach, soft sand bottom).
Yes, apologies.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jja34-1
I have not stayed at Hualalai or the Mauna Lani but I visited both last month when I was staying at the Mauna Kea.

I really do not understand the appeal of Hualalai. The buildings look like other Four Seasons resorts (i.e., you could be anywhere). As others have mentioned, there is no real beach. The service is probably better than any other hotel on the Big Island and the food venues are good, but it's a sprawling resort with cookie cutter buildings. I would also note that Hualalai is the only property I visited while on the Big Island that did not ask about symptoms/take a temperature at the gate. I visited twice. My temperature was taken at the restaurant the time I went for dinner.

Mauna Lani has been very nicely renovated, although to me it looked like someone visited the Andaz on Maui and told their contractors to just copy what they had seen there. There are a few good restaurants. I dined at Canoe House and enjoyed the tasting menu. Walking around Mauna Lani at night, it felt totally soulless. Both Hualalai and Mauna Kea had more going on (or at least seemed to have more going on) in the evenings.

My family has been visiting the Mauna Kea for years. I know that people have different views on the building, the decor in the rooms and the laid back service. To me, the hotel represents exactly what I want out of a Hawaiian vacation. I have not been to any other hotel in Hawaii that has the same sense of aloha, coupled with amazing views and a stunning beach. We also quite enjoy the SOM building, the historic art collection and the deluxe rooms with two balconies and large bathrooms with a view.
Do you have any status with Marriott that would sway you, such as an upgrade to the deluxe room or is everything the same across the board? I'm looking to book for my son and his new bride, for their honeymoon. I have lifetime Platinum Status with Marriott but it should have been Titanium (long story) so I'm looking to book them at Hua'lalai or Mauna Kea. Summer rates are $1,500 a night for Hua'lalai and $900 or so for Mauna Lani. I did enjoy the Mauna Kea back when it was Rock Resorts, is it still good as a Prince Resorts now Marriott property?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Do you have any status with Marriott that would sway you, such as an upgrade to the deluxe room or is everything the same across the board? I'm looking to book for my son and his new bride, for their honeymoon. I have lifetime Platinum Status with Marriott but it should have been Titanium (long story) so I'm looking to book them at Hua'lalai or Mauna Kea. Summer rates are $1,500 a night for Hua'lalai and $900 or so for Mauna Lani. I did enjoy the Mauna Kea back when it was Rock Resorts, is it still good as a Prince Resorts now Marriott property?
I do have Marriott status but I don't think that has changed how I get treated at the Mauna Kea. I do think joining Autograph has changed the clientele/occupancy rates at the hotel. My impression is that the default upgrade for any status is to the beach wing, although you can always ask for an upgrade to a deluxe on arrival. Mauna Kea service is less polished than at the Four Seasons, but it is friendly and I have always had relaxing vacations at the Mauna Kea.
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I thought I'd add some data points on luxury properties mentioned in this thread as we've been to Hawaii twice in the last 6 months...

Hotel Wailea: We stayed here for 5 nights about a week and a half ago. It's a Relais & Chateaux, adults only property. For my money, this place is better than the Four Seasons, Kea Lani, or the Andaz as long as beachfront isn't a hard requirement for you. The units themselves are exceptionally well appointed and large but I'm going to heap praise on the pool scene. It is very quiet - in addition to being open 24 hours, with first come-first served cabanas that are included in the resort fee. Lounge chairs were available at all hours of the day. The bar staff was exceptional, always on top of things and the drinks themselves were the right mix of boozy and sweet. The two Tesla Model X'es will take you down to any of the Wailea resorts with near instant responsiveness for pickups, and they also provide beach shuttle service. Nothing like rolling up to the Four Seasons in a black Model X with the winged doors opening - you'll get jealous glances from guests there! Your folio grants you charging privileges at the Grand Wailea while you're down on the beach (although we did not take advantage of this). My recommendation here would be to get a garden view room - these aren't on the main road and are further up the hill, putting you closer to the pool and your car.

Lodge at Kukui'ula: This is a Destinations Resort under the Hyatt umbrella in the Poipu area of Kauai. We stayed 10 nights here back in November. It's a hybrid residential/rental community where select bungalows/units are owned/operated by the lodge. The bungalows are really well done. We booked the base room, and ours appeared nearly brand new. It had a full kitchen, an outdoor lava rock shower right off the bathroom, and a huge lanai that overlooked the golf course. You get access to the members club, including the pool, restaurant, ability to book golf tee times, etc. There were numerous service lapses during our time, including an inability to formally check out! Their "front desk" is closed on Mondays during COVID... we had to ask one of the gardeners what to do as they were the only staff member we could find. Hopefully these lapses have been remedied since.
KatW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.