FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Hawaii Luxury Hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1774910-hawaii-luxury-hotels.html)

JohnRain Jun 28, 2016 5:31 am

Hawaii Luxury Hotels

I'm considering to go to Hawaii for the first time and after browsing the Hawaii forum as well as the Luxury Hotels forum for some time I still haven't found what I'm looking for, ie a consensus on the top luxury hotels on the island(s).

Thanks for your feedback.

MTGKJ Jun 28, 2016 8:19 am

For a first time to HI, and coming all the way from Europe? I would recommend that you skip Oahu and pick some combo of FS Manele Bay, FS Hualalai, and FS Maui.

Valveking Jun 28, 2016 11:46 am

I am currently at the FS Hualalai and just spent a week at the Montage in Kapalua. Both are fabulous with the FS being a little bit better. You can't go wrong with either of these. I went for a quick look at the RC Kapalua. I would avoid that one for sure.

Travel K Jun 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Four Seasons Lanai recently finished a renovation and is suppose to be fab. I believe DavidO has a thread started on it with the update, but I might be remembering wrong. I agree with Montage in Kapalua. Also, every client I have ever sent to the Fairmont Kea Lani raves about it. They treat Virtuoso guests very well.

JohnRain Jun 29, 2016 6:45 am

Thanks for your replies so far, I'll look at all properties that were mentioned.

CGRA Jul 2, 2016 6:03 am

Is there any true luxury option in HI ??
Maybe the new FS lanai.

Stumblefoot Jul 2, 2016 10:42 am

Originally Posted by CGRA (Post 26860565)
Maybe the new FS lanai.

When I think of "true luxury", it means exceptional service coupled with elegant hard product and a wide variety of fine food options. FS Lanai, IMHO only achieves 1 of the 3 requirements since the reconstruction; hard product. Now, with that said, I much prefer the FS Lanai vs. FS Hualalai.

JohnRain Jul 11, 2016 7:43 am

Did anybody stay the Hotel Wailea (a Relais & Chateaux property) recently?
I've heard good things and it was voted "Best Hotel in Maui" at the Conde Nast Traveler Reader's Choice Awards 2014 & 2015.

Thanks.

aa213bb Jul 11, 2016 10:13 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 26899972)

A work colleague just went in May. I'll ask once I see him and report back.

JohnRain Jul 11, 2016 10:40 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb (Post 26900746)
A work colleague just went in May. I'll ask once I see him and report back.

Thanks aa213bb, looking forward to it.

luxury Jul 11, 2016 4:47 pm

The Andaz Wailea have some nice Villas which can be not unreasonably priced. I believe these also waive the atrocious $40 per night resort fee, at least, when booked through Virtuoso.

The Bungalows at Mauna Lani on Big Island are also quite nice and they do often offer 4th night free with other inclusions (return transfers, etc). Rooms and suites are usually offered at 4th night free in non-peak season but only the Bungalows are at that elite level. The advantage here is that there is a great swimming beach where the FS Hualalai doesn't have one.

The St. Regis Princeville on Kauai gets rave reviews, for the most part, on the SPG Forum.

Hope this gives you some more food for thought!!

ridefar Jul 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 26899972)
I've heard good things and it was voted "Best Hotel in Maui" at the Conde Nast Traveler Reader's Choice Awards 2014 & 2015.

Thanks.

Stayed there last October. I was very favourably impressed. The hard product was really good; the service was generally excellent. If you can stand not being on a beach, it is a great choice in my opinion. The restaurant was very good too (actually very good, I was totally surprised by the high standard). Lots of other good dining options near by too. And a short drive to great beaches (east past Wailea--the Wailea beach is over rated in my opinion; not one of the better ones on Maui). I would definitely go back for sure, the smaller size of the property was also a big plus especially relative to virtually every other choice on Maui. If you have any questions, just ask!

ridefar Jul 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by luxury (Post 26902745)
The St. Regis Princeville on Kauai gets rave reviews, for the most part, on the SPG Forum.

It is a Holiday Inn with a great location. Why people think it is so good is beyond me. It sucks, and is terrible value to boot. When the parking valets are the best thing about a property, you know you have a problem.

lhgreengrd1 Jul 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 26903130)
It is a Holiday Inn with a great location. Why people think it is so good is beyond me. It sucks, and is terrible value to boot. When the parking valets are the best thing about a property, you know you have a problem.

That's an exaggeration. The St. Regis Princeville is actually a very high priced Sheraton in a great location.

What I consider the best luxury properties in Hawaii are:

Maui: Andaz, FS Wailea, RC Kapalua, and Fairmont Kea Lani

Big Island: FS Hualailai, Mauna Lani Bay, Mauna Kea Beach

Kauai: Hyatt Regency Poipu

JohnRain Jul 11, 2016 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by luxury (Post 26902745)
The Andaz Wailea have some nice Villas which can be not unreasonably priced. I believe these also waive the atrocious $40 per night resort fee, at least, when booked through Virtuoso.

The Bungalows at Mauna Lani on Big Island are also quite nice and they do often offer 4th night free with other inclusions (return transfers, etc). Rooms and suites are usually offered at 4th night free in non-peak season but only the Bungalows are at that elite level. The advantage here is that there is a great swimming beach where the FS Hualalai doesn't have one.

Hope this gives you some more food for thought!!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, luxury, I'll look into them.

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 26903118)
Stayed there last October. I was very favourably impressed. The hard product was really good; the service was generally excellent. If you can stand not being on a beach, it is a great choice in my opinion. The restaurant was very good too (actually very good, I was totally surprised by the high standard). Lots of other good dining options near by too. And a short drive to great beaches (east past Wailea--the Wailea beach is over rated in my opinion; not one of the better ones on Maui). I would definitely go back for sure, the smaller size of the property was also a big plus especially relative to virtually every other choice on Maui. If you have any questions, just ask!

That's very interesting, ridefar. Weren't you bothered by the noise of the nearby street? This is a complaint I've read about on a few occasions.

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 (Post 26903566)
That's an exaggeration. The St. Regis Princeville is actually a very high priced Sheraton in a great location.

What I consider the best luxury properties in Hawaii are:

Maui: Andaz, FS Wailea, RC Kapalua, and Fairmont Kea Lani

Big Island: FS Hualailai, Mauna Lani Bay, Mauna Kea Beach

Kauai: Hyatt Regency Poipu

Thanks lhgreengrd1. Too bad the StRegis isn't better than that as I usually like the brand.