Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:28 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Inn at Perry Cabin, A Belmond Hotel. St Michaels, MD

Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

308 Watkins Ln St Michaels, MD US 21663

Inn at Perry Cabin, A Belmond Hotel. St Michaels, MD (24 Photos)

Planning

I have looked, and relooked at the resort options within driving distance in the Mid-Atlantic probably monthly over the past 10 years.. Nothing really stands out.. It feels like there are flaws for every option… places include Salamander, Nemacolin, Glendorn, Woodloch, Inn at Little Washington, Inn at Perry Cabin.. etc etc… All these places seemed to be a bit overpriced for what they offer, or just don’t interest me…. Particularly Inn at Perry Cabin (henceforth the IPC)… the town seemed uninterested, the property itself seemed old and in need of a renovation… I seem to remember  a whole lot of floral prints, which makes sense because it was an old Laura Ashley property or something like that.. Plus the summer rates seemed to be astronomical.. I happened to see on Instagram a picture though that showed a very thoughtful renovation and a removal of the florals recently so I put it back onto my radar… Fast forward to Monday afternoon- I happened to get Tuesday and Wednesday off at last minute and since our kids were otherwise elsewhere we decided on a last minute getaway… my wife and I did much debating (Amish Dutch country, Washington DC, Annapolis, Shenadoah Valley) and finally came to a consensus of Inn at Perry Cabin.. I figured that after 10 years of living in the area, it was time to give it a shot… so I shot a text to Besvisor and within 30 minutes he had contacted the hotel and gotten us a confirmed upgrade to a Luxury Water View Suite as well as Virtuoso amenities applied to a surprisingly affordable discounted rate. Say what you want about that guy but he definitely hustles and gets things done!

Arrival/Check In

From Baltimore, it was less than a 2 hour drive to get there. The most annoying thing is the traffic up until the Bay Bridge. The IPC is located right after you pass through the town of St Michaels itself.. We pulled up the valets were waiting to take our car and our bags. We declined on our bags but did offer up our car. Of note they have a number of electric car charger spots; however, I drive a very thirsty SUV that’s like throwing $5 bills out the window… Our name was taken for the car, but never relayed to anyone. At check-in, they couldn’t find our registration card because we had literally just made the reservation 2 hours before. She found us in the computer and remarked that “it would have been nice if they had let us know”… from what I understand Besvisor had contacted the hotel to get the upgrade confirmed/amenities included so sounds like that information had not been transmitted to the front desk. So there was a bit of a wait as she had to print out the registration card/virtuoso note; which was made a bit longer by the printer being out of paper (and then it printing the 30 things in queue before our stuff). Standard ID/CC check and then off we went.. the experience took a lot longer than I really would like, but I could imagine it would be smoother if they had had our stuff prepared. The couple checking in next to us was checking in for two weeks, which definitely seemed like a long time to spend in St Michaels

Room

Our most exclusive suites and presidential in nature. Centrally located, they feature an expansive water view, fireplace and spacious bathroom with soaking tub. 

That’s how they describe the suite. Of note they also describe it as having a separate half bathroom (which I didn’t realize until now). I liked the room. However, it really didn’t live up to billing. Let’s start with things I liked: really enjoyed the décor.. it’s slightly masculine but really works for my aesthetic. I’m not a huge fan of color so I like things that are shades of grey, brown etc. They had a Nespresso Vertuo machine at the entry, which I had never experienced but I’ve decided I prefer the capsules. No minibar; which is fine with me but an empty fridge was convenient.. I brought a couple bottles of champagne and the refrigerator did the trick. The sitting area was quite comfortable and cozy, with a fireplace that would be nice during colder months.. The bedroom had a very very comfortable bed.. both rooms opened up to a walk out terrace that was simply furnished with a table and two chairs. It really would have been nice for them to provide a key as a means to leave the room from the terrace and lock the door… The bathroom was quite large and well equipped. The soaking tub was great.. I would say that the suite ended up being probably 3 equally sized rooms of about 250-300 square feet each.. while a comfortable suite, I would hardly call it presidential in nature.. If there was a half bath somewhere, I sure didn’t find it (and I’m the type who peeks and prods everywhere). In addition, while the view was nice, I certainly wouldn’t call it expansive in nature. So yes, I got a great deal on the top level suite here, but honestly if I was paying peak summer prices ($1600++) I would be quite disappointed. The description seems to take some liberties… Finally, and probably most importantly, the sound proofing is awful at the hotel. We could hear our upstairs neighbors walking (and I’m pretty sure they were just walking) and I know it wasn’t just us. First morning sitting outside I heard somewhere say to their upstairs neighbors hello and we can hear your kids walking…. So if I were to return, I would request a 3rd floor room…

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

It’s located right on the water, just outside of the town of St. Michael’s. Everything is within walking distance. St Michael’s is one of the cute quaint one street towns that you only really need one day to see. I’m not sure what else there is to do there.. but if you’re visiting St. Michael’s, I guess the location is convenient…

1_IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

Dining

We took breakfast each morning outside. It was a lovely setting to set by the water and enjoy coffee/breakfast. Service was a bit slow but they did all of the requisite breakfast things in an appropriate manner.. so neither amazing, nor bad.. we had one meal at the Purser’s Pub, because apparently one needs long pants to eat in their fine dining restaurant… the service was friendly and the food good, but my crab soup didn’t come out very hot so I had to send it back. No service recovery was offered…

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

Activities

Bikes are readily available for use and there are tennis courts on site. We took advantage of the waterfront location to paddleboard each day, which was pretty calm and easy here. The pool area is fairly small and enclosed, which makes me wonder why they didn’t maybe make a more of a statement pool (or at least one that faces the water)… there’s a full service spa that we didn’t find time to use.. There are many many boating options if you're the boating type...

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

Service/check out

The service was appropriate.. nothing really stood out. Everyone was quite friendly, and our servers always quite engaging.. I would describe the service as youthful but energetic. Turndown treats of cookies was great. Our bill was appropriate on checkout. Of note, they do levy a service percentage charge (10%) as a resort fee... which I hate.. the lack of communication at check-in also was disappoitning, considering that Besvisor had literally just contaced the hotel.. 

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot.. what isn't there a picture of? Let me give you a hint.. any sort of welcome amenity... I'm not sure if a welcome amenity is part of the Virtuoso standard, but I can't rememner the last time I stayed in a purported luxury hotel that didn't offer one.. 

Overall

Well, we finally made it to Inn at Perry Cabin and I finally finished this lacluster review.. which I guess is my general feeling about the hotel.. It made for a nice weekend getaway but it wasn’t anything overly special. If you’re in the Baltimore Washington Philadelphia area I would make a trip, but it’s not a place worth traveling to. We had a nice time, but don’t see the need to return anytime.. The soundproofing; rather lack there of is a huge negative to the rooms. Everything else seemed to be ok, but not quite to the standard that I would consider a true luxury hotel…

Inn at Perry Cabin, A Belmond Hotel. St Michaels, MD

Would you like to write a review on the Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond?

No, thank you.
Yes
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:19 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Great review. I would add that this hotel can get guests onto the Links at Perry Cabin, which I'd think is the most exclusive thing about the hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:52 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Thanks for posting. Really interesting to see the stark contrast between your photos and the ones on their website, particularly of the luxury water view suite.

I understand staging and all of that -- and that "every suite is unique" -- but they certainly cherry-picked what they put on their site.

Looks like a nice enough weekend trip. I hope that couple enjoyed themselves, but I can't imagine spending two weeks in St. Michael's....
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks for sharing. We spend a bit of time around the Eastern Shore most summers, but have never visited the Inn at Perry Cabin. Based on your review, I think we'll pass.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:08 am
Original Member

I've often wondered about this place, too.

Last edited by KatW; Oct 9, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I always think about the move Wedding Crashers when I read something about the Inn at Perry Cabin. I think the thing to do around St Michaels is go sailing. Thanks for the review.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the review! As one who grew up in Maryland, I’d always heard about this place. My best friend and his wife, who still live in AACo, Maryland, stay here every now and then, most recently a few months ago, and really enjoy themselves.

I’ve always been inclined to think of this as a weekend getaway for those in the DC/Balto area and/or for those who love to sail or go boating. Your review reminds me that I likely was right. Two weeks? I’d slit my wrists. $1600 for that suite? I don’t think so. Maybe $400-500 tops.

My friends do love to go into the nearby town and eat at some local restaurants, too, apparently. Very down low. But not so gourmet to my tastes.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:36 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DSI
Great review. I would add that this hotel can get guests onto the Links at Perry Cabin, which I'd think is the most exclusive thing about the hotel.
Forgot about that; course looks nice but I'm not much of a golfer...

Originally Posted by LM225
Thanks for posting. Really interesting to see the stark contrast between your photos and the ones on their website, particularly of the luxury water view suite.

I understand staging and all of that -- and that "every suite is unique" -- but they certainly cherry-picked what they put on their site.

Looks like a nice enough weekend trip. I hope that couple enjoyed themselves, but I can't imagine spending two weeks in St. Michael's....
Indeed.. the description on the website really doesn't match the room I got.. I had to double check my confirmation to make sure it was the same room type...

It was fine for two nights, after that I think I would go mad... that couple, whoever they were, apparently were just traveling for a long time from place to place...

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Thanks for sharing. We spend a bit of time around the Eastern Shore most summers, but have never visited the Inn at Perry Cabin. Based on your review, I think we'll pass.
Don't blame you.. I'm not sure that there's anything else out that way that really qualifies as even near luxury unfortunately...

Originally Posted by KatW
I've often wondered about this place, too.
I figured I was taking one for the team when I booked this place..

Originally Posted by Valveking
I always think about the move Wedding Crashers when I read something about the Inn at Perry Cabin. I think the thing to do around St Michaels is go sailing. Thanks for the review.
The sailboats are stunning.. I wish I was more interested in the water... after about an hour of sailing I'm quite quite content...

I do think that they get a lot of weddings there as well... we were there from Monday to Wedndesay so no weddings for us to crash.. our trip prior was to Newport, which is also insane with weddings..

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks for the review! As one who grew up in Maryland, I’d always heard about this place. My best friend and his wife, who still live in AACo, Maryland, stay here every now and then, most recently a few months ago, and really enjoy themselves.

I’ve always been inclined to think of this as a weekend getaway for those in the DC/Balto area and/or for those who love to sail or go boating. Your review reminds me that I likely was right. Two weeks? I’d slit my wrists. $1600 for that suite? I don’t think so. Maybe $400-500 tops.

My friends do love to go into the nearby town and eat at some local restaurants, too, apparently. Very down low. But not so gourmet to my tastes.
It's pretty slooooow pace... I agree with your assessment on the value of the suite.. Another thing that bugged me is that with the Virtuoso breakfast, they wouldn't let me take it as room service; even if I paid the fee..

The local restaurants are solid; nothing even close to gourmet.. comforting casual food...

Thanks for the comments!

FDW
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:15 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Thanks for the great review. Is there anyone who has stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin recently that could offer an update? It's no longer a Belmond and is now a Preferred LEGEND property. We've had some good experiences with Preferred LEGENDs before, but are concerned about the lacklustre review from when it was a Belmond (though we've generally had good experiences at Belmonds elsewhere). We're considering a 4-night trip from the NYC area. During the pandemic, our go-to for a getaway has been the Mayflower in Connecticut (an Auberge Resort), but are looking for something new. Any updated thoughts on Perry Cabin would be appreciated!
Old May 29, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
I have not stayed here nor have I walked around the property but I have some familiarity with St Michaels. St Michaels is really notable for it's boating. Are you boat people? It looks like the property has three daysailers and some power boats available. I'd inquire to find out rates and availability for the vessels and find out if one can you take the vessels out on their own or are you required to have a captain/crew?

The Miles River, Wye River and Tred Avon River are some of the most beautiful rivers of the Chesapeake Bay.

The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is close and is worth a visit.

You are also close to Oxford Maryland and that is worth a visit. The best way is to drive to the Oxford Bellevue Ferry and cross the river via ferry.
Old May 29, 2021, 3:37 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by brandie
Are you boat people?
Unfortunately, we are not boat people, nor are we golf people. And those two activities do seem to be the main highlight of an Inn at Perry Cabin stay. That’s not to say we wouldn’t enjoy boating, we’ve just never really done it or would know how!
Old May 31, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jbb
Thanks for the great review. Is there anyone who has stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin recently that could offer an update? It's no longer a Belmond and is now a Preferred LEGEND property. We've had some good experiences with Preferred LEGENDs before, but are concerned about the lacklustre review from when it was a Belmond (though we've generally had good experiences at Belmonds elsewhere). We're considering a 4-night trip from the NYC area. During the pandemic, our go-to for a getaway has been the Mayflower in Connecticut (an Auberge Resort), but are looking for something new. Any updated thoughts on Perry Cabin would be appreciated!
Some clients had a great time with their families (kids around 7-8 yo). The service is not bad, but nothing extraordinary. Water-activities are a little lacking beyond boats. If you are into sailing and water-based activities, Newport RI is my top choice. St. Michaels is not like RI - there is nowhere near as many activities.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by brandie
I have not stayed here nor have I walked around the property but I have some familiarity with St Michaels. St Michaels is really notable for it's boating. Are you boat people? It looks like the property has three daysailers and some power boats available. I'd inquire to find out rates and availability for the vessels and find out if one can you take the vessels out on their own or are you required to have a captain/crew?

The Miles River, Wye River and Tred Avon River are some of the most beautiful rivers of the Chesapeake Bay.

The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is close and is worth a visit.

You are also close to Oxford Maryland and that is worth a visit. The best way is to drive to the Oxford Bellevue Ferry and cross the river via ferry.
We have stayed in St. Michaels twice and at The Inn At Perry Cabin the most recent time in 2018.

The sail boats are Hinckleys and as I understand it, you need to use the Inn's crew. We did a day sail and it was very nice.

Something that really stood out to me during our stay is the Inn relied heavily on foreign staff and communicating was a challenge in the restaurants. Being the daughter of an immigrant, I am very patient and understanding when someone is learning a new language and it was still hard. I would think their labor issues are even more challenging now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.