Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very concerned about drones in Maldives

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 12:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonjparr
Or the GMs just trying to pacify a customer. I'd be surprised if the hotel actually enforces the policy. We're not going to see eye to eye on this one as I don't believe a person should go to a public resort if they don't expect to ever be captured on camera. That's why resorts like Cheval Blanc have the owners villa. Why not just book that? You have your own private island then.
On the contrary, if they have such a rule, I bet they will enforce it if a guest complains. Doesn't even need to be a luxury hotel, my guess is an upscale hotel would do that.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:58 am

I disagree. Say it's a very high spend customer playing around with the drone he bought himself. Are they really going to tell him off for using it if he's spending $10k per night for his accommodation? I doubt it.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jonjparr
I disagree. Say it's a very high spend customer playing around with the drone he bought himself. Are they really going to tell him off for using it if he's spending $10k per night for his accommodation? I doubt it.
Yes and no. Letīs say a hotel has a no dogs policy and I arrive for my 20T$ suite with my dog. Some hotels will do excemptions, many not. I guess one high paying customer is not worth loosing 10 "normal" paying customers. If I donīt behave at the resort (flying over other guest houses with a drone is like bathing nude in the pool, dancing on the table in my eyes) they wonīt have another chance then throw me out if I reject to follow the rules.

P.S. what would you say if you complain about a drone over your villa (at a Hotel with a no drone policy) and they answer: Sorry, we canīt do anything. The user is a VIP!
Would you pay the stay or return?
Old May 19, 2016, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Yes and no. Letīs say a hotel has a no dogs policy and I arrive for my 20T$ suite with my dog. Some hotels will do excemptions, many not. I guess one high paying customer is not worth loosing 10 "normal" paying customers. If I donīt behave at the resort (flying over other guest houses with a drone is like bathing nude in the pool, dancing on the table in my eyes) they wonīt have another chance then throw me out if I reject to follow the rules.

P.S. what would you say if you complain about a drone over your villa (at a Hotel with a no drone policy) and they answer: Sorry, we canīt do anything. The user is a VIP!
Would you pay the stay or return?
Sorry but the whole argument of ultimate privacy (for me at least) just doesn't work in a public resort. If I go to one I know I'll probably end up on someone's photos. And like it or not, hotels do favour those spending more. I'm not saying this is right but that's how they are. $8k for a stay during low season in the Maldives isn't really what a resort like Dhevanafushi will class as high spend. I'd never actually schedule a stay at a resort and then reach out to the GM asking that they ban drones in preparation for my stay - it all seems very melodramatic.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in countries where 'jamming' drones is not legal, drones can be 'hacked'

there must be reason that first forum discussion of drones is for maldives
what are maldives properties saying re how they handle guest with drone?

expectations are based on policies, which can be confirmed with management
a property's policies can and do impact service recovery when that happens
and discussing new policies is completely separate from preferences / privacy

though maldives does not really focus on privacy >
all high density, mostly small islands, few walled pools
can also be very high occupancy in higher seasons

jonjparr, re "very high spend customer" - it varies >

Originally Posted by nba1017
A member of an unnamed royal family was traveling to the hotel and required two full floors for his entourage. My preferred suite was on one of those floors. The GM was very careful to always give me a choice and insisted that he would honor my reservation if that was my desire.
Originally Posted by robyng
Either I could play next to him - or he could choose not to play. I played - he didn't. That's how a luxury property works IMO.
and again, service recovery when policy exception made

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 19, 2016 at 5:46 am
Old May 19, 2016, 5:36 am

But what does this person do day to day when not on holiday? Dive indoors whenever they see someone with a camera or hear a drone in the sky?
Old May 19, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let's not misrepresent the situation

clearly something is going on in maldives >

Originally Posted by THEJOCK
we were in the maldives last week and had our first experience of a drone.
at least 4 or 5 properties with policies
so clearly has nothing to do with OP >

Originally Posted by surftb15
Gili and CBR have both adopted no drone policy, Anatara Kihavah may follow soon.
[jumeirah] have had other complaints.
Jumeirah has implemented a no drone policy.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Velaa is another resort that has banned drones

My bigger concern with Maldives...passing seaplanes.
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
FS Kuda Huraa with some kids flying a drone around the beach (and next to our villa) for hours
gili owner also owns both FS
Anatara Kihavah is minor, they have joint venture in other maldives properties

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 21, 2016 at 8:53 am
Old May 19, 2016, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
let's not misrepresent the situation

clearly something is going on in maldives >

at least 3 or 4 properties with policies
so clearly has nothing to do with OP >
Indeed. No one has said "I do not want any photos of me ever at any stage", they have said that they have concerns around drones, which I think is a valid concern, as suddenly what used to be taken for granted as being private could end up not being the case. Speaking as someone who goes almost everywhere with a camera, I would never sit there and take photos of people. I especially would never attempt to disrupt someone's privacy by using a device (whether that's a drone or telescopic lens) that could see into their room. A drone gives someone the way to do that, whether it's intended or not.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:28 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I think the biggest issue is that these villas (particularly the Maldives, Bora Bora etc) were not designed with the possibility of drones in mind. So what were previously very private villas are now suddenly less so.

However, 99.99% of people are not flying a drone to spy on their neighbours. They're flying it for the incredible footage - in which even if you are bare naked, you're not going to be really visible/identifiable. Of course, understandably, this is still an issue.

With that in mind, I do think resorts should start implementing proper drone policies - which does NOT mean 'ban all use of drones!' - but rather at least a simple policy that drone users must request permission and alert the local team when they intend to fly (and where). Additionally, resorts can set aside certain areas where drones can fly (e.g. the more public spaces, or for non-Maldives resorts, areas near the resort). Also, if someone wants to take room/villa shots, they can check in with front desk to see which villas are occupied. If there is a section of villas that isn't occupied at a certain part of the resort, they can fly out from there. I have seen Trisara do this fairly well

The noise is a different issue however.

Having said that, I work for a drone company so perhaps my views are slightly biased. I occassionally take a drone on holiday too, but will always alert the resort when and where I intend to fly (and additionally take permission to do so).

I flew it briefly at Six Senses with their permission, but apparently there were drone complaints and was requested to stop flying it - even though the next shots I wanted to take wouldn't even have the villas in them (flying from Hillside Reserve outwards towards the islands). So I didn't fly it after that.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I have seen Trisara do this fairly well

take permission to do so

I flew it briefly at Six Senses with their permission, but apparently there were drone complaints and was requested to stop
very interesting post, thanks!

six senses - yao noi i presume

where did trisara allow drones ?
any less / more friendly to drones ?

based on properties' responses you get when asking permission, do you think properties (and or guests) are starting to pay more attention to drones ? are more properties starting to create 'standard' 'policies' or not many properties so far ?

and have you happened to hear anything specifically about maldives ?
Old May 20, 2016, 9:18 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
very interesting post, thanks!

six senses - yao noi i presume

where did trisara allow drones ?
any less / more friendly to drones ?

based on properties' responses you get when asking permission, do you think properties (and or guests) are starting to pay more attention to drones ? are more properties starting to create 'standard' 'policies' or not many properties so far ?

and have you happened to hear anything specifically about maldives ?
Yes - Six Senses Yao Noi.

Re: Trisara -
off the beach flying away from resort.

Re: Hotels -
I think at the luxury resorts, guests are starting to be more annoyed by drones and typically alert the hotel/GM to request ban of drones. I think the hotel can do what it wants with drones - if guests complain, it makes sense to ban them. However, they could also alert guests that drones will be flying over this time over this place (and not their private room).

Most hotels don't have a policy or simple guide in place - which is quite alarming. They just end up blanket banning drones - which is a terrible idea (idiots will fly anyway). Creating a proper policy would really help guests as well. If guests were made aware of a very simple drone policy, or at the very least to alert the hotel before flying and request permission, I think it would create a safer environment for all, and it's one of things that we, as the drone maker, are looking to implement.

As mentioned, the best thing to do is for all three parties - the hotel, the guest (and the drone maker as well) to work together on implementing something.

Sadly, most hotels - especially the luxury hotels - are very backward when it comes to implementing new technology and this could take a while. The lower-end hotels have tended to have better pick up with regards to this, although it's still very much a project in the works.

Re: Maldives -
Velaa is another resort that has banned drones if I'm not mistaken. Or one of the top end ones (had a client ask in advance about taking drones - I think it was Velaa, who said they had a blanket ban on any drone usage). Edit: Just checked - it is indeed Velaa.

My bigger concern with Maldives (from working for a drone company standpoint) goes well beyond privacy which really isn't that big a deal for us in the grand scheme of things (same issue as when photography became more easily accessible). It's to do with the issue of whether these guests are alerting or requesting permission from the hotels, with regards to timing of passing seaplanes.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Gili and CBR have a known published policy regarding no drones. Jumeriah does not, and seems to side step the issue via email.
Gili with or without a no drone policy and while agreeing that drone flying at such resorts can be annoying if not done sensitively, I have to admit that I really like this drone video of Gili Lankanfushi

Gives me a good overview of the island, its surroundings and which jetty/villa to choose in a potential future stay

The resident DJ of SS Laamu used to fly a drone over the island in a discreet and sensitive way while making stunning videos of the resort's beauty which didn't bother me at all. But hey, as pics of myself in my new car are being taken by car spotters now (yes, there are not only plane and train but car spotters out there) and posted on the internet I may have gotten used to such (unsolicited) publicity.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ngfan
But hey, as pics of myself in my new car are being taken by car spotters now (yes, there are not only plane and train but car spotters out there) and posted on the internet I may have gotten used to such (unsolicited) publicity.
Great! Thatīs the Price of driving something unusual I guess....
Old May 21, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by offerendum
Great! Thatīs the Price of driving something unusual I guess....
It is. But still surprising when suddenly surrounded by 5 photographers in the middle of the street at a traffic light stop in downtown Frankfurt, Berlin or Munich...
Old May 21, 2016, 9:03 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by ngfan
It is. But still surprising when suddenly surrounded by 5 photographers in the middle of the street at a traffic light stop in downtown Frankfurt, Berlin or Munich...
Rennlist? ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.