Search

Very concerned about drones in Maldives

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
I wish they'd ban photography outright.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Of course the hotel canīt give a guarantee, no hotel can.

That woudnīt be possible
soho house (hotels) ban photography/recording

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 18, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 8:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
In principle, yes, but with the mobile phones carried around all the time, I still saw loads of people taking pics when we were at Soho House Miami in February. The #sohobeachhouse and #sohohouse is also not really empty ;-) People might be more careful, though, only taking a picture of their food/drink/palm tree or empty pool instead of pics with lots of people on them.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Perhaps Gili Lankanfushi is the answer then. It is where I have chosen to stay on my upcoming trip
Yea but for Diving reasons I would prefer the Jumeirah!

Maybe the StR will open in time, who knows?

I just hope they can iron out this drone mess, they still seem to side step the issue.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:12 pm

I agree - they are annoying.

But, maybe only worry about it IF it happens, instead of getting stressed over the possibility?
Old May 18, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
And ties. Yes, that may help but I doubt all guests do follow. So itīs not a guarantee.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Musken
In principle, yes, but with the mobile phones carried around all the time, I still saw loads of people taking pics when we were at Soho House Miami in February. The #sohobeachhouse and #sohohouse is also not really empty ;-) People might be more careful, though, only taking a picture of their food/drink/palm tree or empty pool instead of pics with lots of people on them.
interesting, perhaps also different rules at some / miami

And ties. Yes, that may help but I doubt all guests do follow. So itīs not a guarantee.
rules for members and their guests >
https://www.sohohouse.com/terms-and-...ns/house-rules
The House reserves the right to take possession of and confiscate any camera, video or recording device and any photos, videos or other recorded images used or taken while on House premises.

Members will be held accountable if they or their guests disclose or identify any other members or guests who are in the House in any press or social media including Facebook, Twitter and on personal blogs...Conduct that is prejudicial to the reputation and character of Soho House may result in suspension or expulsion. Such conduct may include...the communication of information concerning the club affairs or members or their guests in the club to the media...can face suspension or termination of membership if their guests violate those rules.

Members and their guests must not approach, disturb or solicit others with whom they are not personally acquainted. Doing so may lead to suspension or termination of membership.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 18, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I like to see how they confiscate a camera in Germany..... This are idle threats. Only thing they can do is throw people out the hotel/ club
Old May 18, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like to see how they confiscate a camera in Germany..... This are idle threats. Only thing they can do is throw people out the hotel/ club
which makes service recovery and other ways a property deals with and responds to things a factor, when they are not just throwing guests out

also always worth making sure there are no changes from what properties publish

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 19, 2016 at 5:39 am
Old May 18, 2016, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

sudden increase in maldives specifically? odd?

-

which makes service recovery and other ways a property deals with and responds to things a factor, when they are not just throwing guests out

(speaking of, what do gili and cheval blanc say about their 'no drone' policies?)

also always worth making sure there are no changes from what properties publish
Well the costs of drones have gone down quite a bit. Plus a lot of people look at videos on youtube, etc and decide they want to be a pro photographer.

Gili and CBR have a known published policy regarding no drones. Jumeriah does not, and seems to side step the issue via email.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Well good news everyone.

Jumeirah has implemented a no drone policy.

^

Joining the ranks of Gili and CBR.

I also booked the Soneva Jani after the Jumeirah during their soft opening.

I cant see Soneva keeping the rates this high

1 br is 3900 net with TAX! They do offer 50% off till December 01 though.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
I'll be in the Maldives in a few months. I booked, and paid for, the Jumeriah dhavenufushi. Now when I look at their Instagram a lot of guests are posting drone videos where they fly a drone right over other guests room.

This is a MAJOR issue for us. Lack of privacy is a big thing and heaven forbid a video gets posted without anyone's consent.

The Jumeriah hasn't guaranteed that a guest Won't fly a drone.

AM I overreacting here? It seems the only resort without a drone policy is the Gili Lankafushi and possibly Cheval blanc.
I think you have to consider the fact that you're going to a public resort not a private island just for you. There's a reason some celebrities rent the whole of Necker for example - they're buying privacy as well as a holiday destination. Being captured on drone footage really isn't much different to walking through someone's photo and being captured on it. I'm not sure you can expect 100% privacy if you don't buyout the resort.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jonjparr
Being captured on drone footage really isn't much different to walking through someone's photo and being captured on it.
It's actually a huge difference. One is happenstance... and a drone intentionally flown above someone's room/pool is not it.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:31 am

Yes, but how does the drone operator know that there's someone down there who is paranoid about being snapped in their swimwear? That makes it unintentional, right? I think if you want ultimate privacy without the possibility of being captured on a camera then buyout a resort or better still don't go to a resort.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jonjparr
Yes, but how does the drone operator know that there's someone down there who is paranoid about being snapped in their swimwear? That makes it unintentional, right? I think if you want ultimate privacy without the possibility of being captured on a camera then buyout a resort or better still don't go to a resort.
Or stay home with the curtains shut

I'm guessing no one here is talking or asking for 100% privacy. A reasonable expectation of privacy is what's being discussed.

And the resort in question instituted a drone ban per OP, so someone there disagrees with your assessment.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:48 am

Or the GMs just trying to pacify a customer. I'd be surprised if the hotel actually enforces the policy. We're not going to see eye to eye on this one as I don't believe a person should go to a public resort if they don't expect to ever be captured on camera. That's why resorts like Cheval Blanc have the owners villa. Why not just book that? You have your own private island then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.