Wiki Posts
Search

Lisbon?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Lisbon?

Where should we stay in Lisbon?

We're leaning towards the Four Seasons based on what we've read and its location, although there are many complaints that the rooms need refurbishing. Anything new since http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...el-lisbon.html?

This would be late March, if that matters.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A number of recommendations (2013 - 2014) of Lapa Palace and a few others in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...t-algarve.html
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There is a new IC right next door to the FS that has had recent renovations. To me and others who have stayed there it is nearly at an FS level of service at a fraction of the price. Nice club too.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I was in Lisbon this year and found no hotel in Lisbon which really thrilled me. I stayed at the RC Penha Longa in Sintra. Great hotel but it´s a 30 minutes drive to the center. It´s perhaps an alternative to explore Sintra and the surroundings of Lisbon.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
There is a new IC right next door to the FS that has had recent renovations. To me and others who have stayed there it is nearly at an FS level of service at a fraction of the price. Nice club too.
The only mention on FT I could find of the new IC is by you in this FS thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ns-lisbon.html. Please provide some more information. tripadvisor has some very positive reviews, but it's not always the most reliable source.

I could live with a slightly lower level of service for a large quiet comfortable room with a nice view at a much lower price.

Which room type - club, junior suite or executive suite seem the most appealing. I don't usually find much larger rooms than those all that much better.

What's the better view direction?

Last edited by richarddd; Dec 31, 2015 at 5:02 am
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
The only mention on FT I could find of the new IC is by you in this FS thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ns-lisbon.html. Please provide some more information. tripadvisor has some very positive reviews, but it's not always the most reliable source.
It is in the Intercontinental forum here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...er-thread.html

Which room type - club, junior suite or executive suite seem the most appealing. I don't usually find much larger rooms than those all that much better.

What's the better view direction?
You can best have a conversation with the head of room reservations at the hotel to make sure you get the room you want with the view. The upper floors facing the sea have great views. I was automatically upgraded to this type of room as a Royal Ambassador with IC, but anyone can book it of course. Only the upper floors can see over the top of the Four Seasons for a panoramic view.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Aha - I was just looking in this forum.

The only views their web site mentions are city/river and park, not sea?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
The only views their web site mentions are city/river and park, not sea?
River=Sea. Don't ask me why. Actually if you look on the map its like a bay. In any case it's a large body of water.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:24 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
River=Sea. Don't ask me why. Actually if you look on the map its like a bay. In any case it's a large body of water.
Yep, there's no sea in Lisbon. It's just the river Tagus, which feels like the sea due to it's size in places.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:52 am

I recently attended an event at this place:

http://www.pestana.com/en/hotel/pousada-lisboa

It opened in September 2015. It is in a renovated historic building (I think a former government building/ministry), right on the main square. Not sure if this is really a luxury hotel as I did not stay, but public areas were very nicely done, and the location is perfect. In any case, would provide more sense of place than the 1970s concrete box FS.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there's an interesting smaller hotel in an old convent in a good location with an excellent restaurant. It would probably be more like a four or four and a half star boutique hotel than true luxury, but I would pick it over the Four Seasons or IC.

BTW, does anyone recall whether the IC is the former LM?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there's an interesting smaller hotel in an old convent in a good location with an excellent restaurant. It would probably be more like a four or four and a half star boutique hotel than true luxury, but I would pick it over the Four Seasons or IC.

BTW, does anyone recall whether the IC is the former LM?
According to this thread it is indeed the former LM, most recently known as the Park Atlantic Lisboa.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:43 pm

The boutique Hotel Valverde on Liberdade looks like an interesting option. Definitely better located than IC and FS.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Another one to consider is the Bairro Alto. Not a true luxury hotel but still very good if you book the larger rooms. Its location is far better than FS or Lapa and the service is quite good.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Lisbon?

I stayed at the Sofitel and was quite happy from the welcome pastries to the amazing breakfast buffet - No view but found the location central for my trip. I also would recommend Bruno and the guys of We Hate Tourism tours for Sintra and other tours of the area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.