Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

American Dude Ranch Resorts: Recent Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Dude Ranch Resorts: Recent Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$1600 75 bedroom Lodge
$1750 12 bedoom Magee "ages 21 & over"
$3000 4 bedroom French Creek Sportsman's Club
latter two are self contained, started as exclusive-use only

brushcreekranch.com/magee/magee-accommodations (see map)
brushcreekranch.com/magee - pool, restaurant, bar, spa, gym, etc

larger properties make smaller ones (Clayoquot) look less expensive

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 28, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:59 pm

Any updates to this topic? We went for our second stay at Brush Creek and were not as happy with the experience. To be sure, the activities/guides were still absolutely superb, but we felt that the hotel piece of the property was certainly not up to "Best Resort in the US" standards. I think all of these seasonal resorts suffer in late August as the staff
starts to burn out or college help is replaced, but it just didn't feel as together, dinners
were repetitive and dining room service painful some evenings and just didn't feel the
warm vibe we felt last year. So…..while it was always our plan to repeat every year
or two, looks like we will be moving on next year and would love any more recent
experiences at the luxury end of the spectrum.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:03 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Hey all,

We’ve been busy moving across country this summer and are just now starting to plan a trip for a long weekend in October. I think anything outside the US is going to be sketchy with covid surging again. Too much testing, restrictions, etc.

We’re considering a dude ranch. Are there any newcomers to this category? I’ll be checking the ones listed above and pray at least some of them have availability.

Thanks!

Ericka
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:04 pm

French Creek at Brush Creek Ranch is geared more to the shooter. They have a shooting range right outside the cabins. Magee is adult only. You don’t have to go to the main ranch for your riding, and their is shooting range nearby, you don’t have to go to the main ranch for that (and it isn’t so close that you hear the noise). We don’t have non adult children so Magee is more my cup of tea.
Due to Co-Vid we haven’t been back for two years. I have not been to the other ranches mentioned.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The Alisal Dude Ranch has gotten a lot of love recently from friends and family. www.alisal.com
Located in Santa Ynez valley. Lots of activities for your son.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
The Alisal Dude Ranch has gotten a lot of love recently from friends and family. www.alisal.com
Located in Santa Ynez valley. Lots of activities for your son.
Looks wonderful, but Mr. Ericka was hoping for shooting sports.

As of this writing, the only two with availability are Brush Creek (1 room) and Paws Up. We’re researching both.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:07 am

Decided on Paws Up! Better choice of accomodations. These places are filling up fast!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 7:33 am

We have been to Brush Creek at the new Green O at Paws Up. Both have plusses and minuses and I'd grab anything available now, knowing first hand how difficult booking can be for this kind of accommodation. We did activities at Paws Up and they were really spread out and ala carte, which was a bit of a nuisance. Although it probably isn't fair to compare experiences two years apart, we found the staff friendlier at Paws Up. It's a win win trip during this period, so enjoy. I'll write more on Green O separately...
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon
We have been to Brush Creek at the new Green O at Paws Up. Both have plusses and minuses and I'd grab anything available now, knowing first hand how difficult booking can be for this kind of accommodation. We did activities at Paws Up and they were really spread out and ala carte, which was a bit of a nuisance. Although it probably isn't fair to compare experiences two years apart, we found the staff friendlier at Paws Up. It's a win win trip during this period, so enjoy. I'll write more on Green O separately...
Glad to hear you had a good experience at Paws Up. Recent service reviews have been brutal. I’m hoping these are more related to temporary summer help… hoping October will be better.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
Looks wonderful, but Mr. Ericka was hoping for shooting sports.
what kind and would offsite be ok? I ask because we did a private shoot with https://shootinjh.com that was fantastic. My son has an interest in the older style western revolvers and rifles so the instructor focused on those. I wished we would have had time for a second day. We didn’t do trap but no doubt they could arrange for that type of shooting. I have the owner’s email (a woman!) if you would like it.

there is a ranch with riding located Next door to the Aman in Jackson. I liked our guide and my son enjoyed it very much.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:10 pm

I saw that the Green O is charging 3800.00 per night, so about $11k for three nights. I saw that meals are included. Besides basic activities like archery, what are you paying for? It does look nice, but I'm not really into hoarse back riding, cattle runs, or ranch games. It looks like a beautiful peaceful place to experience, but I'm not sure what I'm missing at that price point ?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Livetotell
I saw that the Green O is charging 3800.00 per night, so about $11k for three nights. I saw that meals are included. Besides basic activities like archery, what are you paying for? It does look nice, but I'm not really into hoarse back riding, cattle runs, or ranch games. It looks like a beautiful peaceful place to experience, but I'm not sure what I'm missing at that price point ?
Very legitimate question, one I can't really answer as I would not likely return. The star of the show, by a country mile, is the food/chef. The property just opened and has jitters and is physically not totally ready...they are still constructing a few houses and the landscaping is not
complete. Or even really started. But the chef has the kitchen together and we enjoyed the ambitious, interesting menu for a few days. Guests are provided with Lexus hybrids to get around from point to point and the juxtapostion of luxury cars next to corrals seemed off. The siting of the homes is
in a forested area with none of the beautiful vistas available in some of the regular Paws Up accommodations. I'm not sure of the point of the "Tree Haus" as there isn't much but the top of trees to be seen. The houses are comfortable and influencer ready with porch swings and a fireplace but
they aren't as private as one would expect....our hot tub was next to the road for utility vehicles. As well, style trumped function in a few cases, including a triple length trough sink (it would take forever to fill this up for shaving if one was inclined) with no mirror facing it. The mirror and limited shelf space was on the left wall.

What to do? We did a few random activities, took a hike, got massages, read on the deck and wondered why we paid so much for this stay. As noted above, most activities come with a charge and, as with every property on earth, staffing shortages made availability limited. The centerpiece shared building was basically a dining room and managers seemed to come out of the back area but no welcome lounge or space not filled with tables. I heard from an insider that the first few weeks were challenging and they definitely have to work on how things are done...for example, on our departure
after this very pricey stay, the MOD didn't even come out to say goodbye. Our luggage was in the car and that was it. Although we didn't stay there, the Magee section of Brush Creek has a pool, so there is something right on property. Here, not so much. It's a WIP, but the price point is too high
for what is provided, IMO. I will say, however, that the staff we did encounter both here and at Paws Up were absolutely delightful.
Livetotell and RichardInSF like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Very legitimate question, one I can't really answer as I would not likely return. The star of the show, by a country mile, is the food/chef. The property just opened and has jitters and is physically not totally ready...they are still constructing a few houses and the landscaping is not
complete. Or even really started. But the chef has the kitchen together and we enjoyed the ambitious, interesting menu for a few days. Guests are provided with Lexus hybrids to get around from point to point and the juxtapostion of luxury cars next to corrals seemed off. The siting of the homes is
in a forested area with none of the beautiful vistas available in some of the regular Paws Up accommodations. I'm not sure of the point of the "Tree Haus" as there isn't much but the top of trees to be seen. The houses are comfortable and influencer ready with porch swings and a fireplace but
they aren't as private as one would expect....our hot tub was next to the road for utility vehicles. As well, style trumped function in a few cases, including a triple length trough sink (it would take forever to fill this up for shaving if one was inclined) with no mirror facing it. The mirror and limited shelf space was on the left wall.

What to do? We did a few random activities, took a hike, got massages, read on the deck and wondered why we paid so much for this stay. As noted above, most activities come with a charge and, as with every property on earth, staffing shortages made availability limited. The centerpiece shared building was basically a dining room and managers seemed to come out of the back area but no welcome lounge or space not filled with tables. I heard from an insider that the first few weeks were challenging and they definitely have to work on how things are done...for example, on our departure
after this very pricey stay, the MOD didn't even come out to say goodbye. Our luggage was in the car and that was it. Although we didn't stay there, the Magee section of Brush Creek has a pool, so there is something right on property. Here, not so much. It's a WIP, but the price point is too high
for what is provided, IMO. I will say, however, that the staff we did encounter both here and at Paws Up were absolutely delightful.
Thank you for the low down on the Green O. I'm still searching for that special wilderness place! Maybe Nimmo Bay, Tweedmuir, etc offer more of an experience for what you pay?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Livetotell
Thank you for the low down on the Green O. I'm still searching for that special wilderness place! Maybe Nimmo Bay, Tweedmuir, etc offer more of an experience for what you pay?
We might be getting into thread drift since Nimmo isn't a dude ranch, but if you want to go you will have to book way in advance: they are apparently sold out through most of next year (2022). If anybody here has actually been, please post a review or some thoughts. We are trying to book now and my only hesitancy is the lack of a trusted review.
Livetotell likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:19 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ridefar
We might be getting into thread drift since Nimmo isn't a dude ranch, but if you want to go you will have to book way in advance: they are apparently sold out through most of next year (2022). If anybody here has actually been, please post a review or some thoughts. We are trying to book now and my only hesitancy is the lack of a trusted review.
You'll find some discussion of it in this thread. My cursory glance thru it found conversation but I didn't spot an actual stay report.

North American Countryside/Wilderness Luxury Venues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.