FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   American Dude Ranch Resorts: Recent Experiences? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1702873-american-dude-ranch-resorts-recent-experiences.html)

pricesquire Aug 15, 2015 11:39 am

American Dude Ranch Resorts: Recent Experiences?

As far as dude ranches go, any recent experiences?

For obvious reasons, the first ones that come to mind are Paws Up, Ranch at Rock Creek, Brush Creek Ranch, etc.

Basically: Montana, Montana, Montana.

Ranch at Rock Creek is the best of the bunch, no?

If you've been to another ranch experience, where was it (and more importantly: how was it?!)

TIA

5khours Aug 15, 2015 4:51 pm

Paradise Ranch, Buffalo Wyoming. Great place. It's for riding though.

obscure2k Aug 15, 2015 8:41 pm

http://www.alisal.com/santa-barbara-resort/
A friend of mine is currently staying there with her large extended family. This is an annual event for them.
Not my cup of tea, but they do seem to have a loyal following. I'm not a fan of hayrides. Easy drive from Los Angeles.

lb8001 Aug 17, 2015 1:40 pm

I've been to Paws Up and Triple Creek Ranch (not far from Missoula). Really enjoyed both and would recommend both if you're into the Montana ranch activities - riding, hiking, fly fishing, skiing, etc.

Kagehitokiri Aug 17, 2015 1:43 pm

agents heard anything re three forks?

pricesquire May 11, 2016 6:36 am

Heading to Brush Creek Ranch the end of the month/first week in June.

Any recent feedback? Supposed to be one of the best ranches in the world....

TopFlightGal May 20, 2016 8:35 pm

For someone considering a dude ranch, they should consider Canada. The Dollar is so strong, it is really a great deal.

Clayoquot Wilderness Retreat is an absolutely once in a lifetime experience. I visited there last year. It is really hard to believe what a special place it is. You fly there by seaplane from Vancouver. It is a Relais & Chateaux property, so the meals are incredible. They have a sommelier on staff. You stay in a tent that has an en suite bath. Turn down service is provided with candles and a fire.

Daily activities are customized for each guest. Choices range from exploring the waters in a zodiac in search of whales, sea lions and bears to riding a horse through the temperate rainforest.

My description can't do it justice. Visit www.wildretreat.com.

pricesquire May 21, 2016 7:16 am

Originally Posted by TopFlightGal (Post 26658600)
For someone considering a dude ranch, they should consider Canada. The Dollar is so strong, it is really a great deal.

Clayoquot Wilderness Retreat is an absolutely once in a lifetime experience. I visited there last year. It is really hard to believe what a special place it is. You fly there by seaplane from Vancouver. It is a Relais & Chateaux property, so the meals are incredible. They have a sommelier on staff. You stay in a tent that has an en suite bath. Turn down service is provided with candles and a fire.

Daily activities are customized for each guest. Choices range from exploring the waters in a zodiac in search of whales, sea lions and bears to riding a horse through the temperate rainforest.

Clayoquot is AMAZING, but I'm not sure I"d lump it in with the same category as Paws Up, Brush Creek, Ranch at Rock Creek, etc...

The latter properties are typical ranch experiences, and even then it's a bit of a stretch to call them 'true' dude ranches.

Clayoquot is incredible, but just not sure it would fit in this category of properties?

MSPeconomist May 24, 2016 11:37 am

The people I know who have gone to dude ranches tend to go to the same one every year, often exactly the same weeks. To me, this is very off-putting, although I know it happens also as the typical case at some resorts.

KatW May 24, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for this, TopFlightGal -- i have been considering a luxury western adventure vacation and this looks just the ticket. Off to ascertain availability.

pricesquire Jun 5, 2016 12:25 pm

Will post feedback later, but for those who are interested about Brush Creek Ranch, here are my pictures.

PS, this was voted the #1 resort in the entire USA by Conde Nast last year.

Mickidon Aug 2, 2016 4:05 am

We loved Brush Creek and that is saying a lot, as the ranch concept is not a natural fit for our travel style. Decent accommodations, absolutely lovely staff members and the opportunity to try a wide range of activities, led by supremely patient guides. It looks like it
would also be fun for families, as there is a kids program and there were several multi-generational groups in residence. We enjoyed the food and felt that they tried hard to mix it up. The only small nit is that, as is the case with all resorts hiring summer help, that
the level of training and engagement varied. We plan to return with more friends/family in tow.

OliverB Aug 2, 2016 10:10 pm

I almost booked a 4-night trip last month, before discovering it would have cost over 14.5K for myself and my wife. The rates are just way too exorbitant. That's still probably around 11.5K with the exchange. Plus an additional 2K for the private sky camp option. If the Canadian dollar continues to sink, I may eventually reconsider, but I have a hard time justifying over 3K per night (on the low end) anywhere.

OliverB Aug 2, 2016 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mickidon (Post 27002388)
We loved Brush Creek and that is saying a lot, as the ranch concept is not a natural fit for our travel style. Decent accommodations, absolutely lovely staff members and the opportunity to try a wide range of activities, led by supremely patient guides. It looks like it
would also be fun for families, as there is a kids program and there were several multi-generational groups in residence. We enjoyed the food and felt that they tried hard to mix it up. The only small nit is that, as is the case with all resorts hiring summer help, that
the level of training and engagement varied. We plan to return with more friends/family in tow.

What's the difference between The Lodge at Bush Creek, Magee Homestead, and the French Creek Sportsman's Club? Are they all situated on the same property?

Mickidon Aug 3, 2016 6:25 am

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 27007102)
What's the difference between The Lodge at Bush Creek, Magee Homestead, and the French Creek Sportsman's Club? Are they all situated on the same property?

Magee Homestead is an adults only, smaller property maybe 5 miles (?) from
the center of Brush Creek. Meals are taken there but guests are shuttled
to Brush Creek for activities. It might be perfect for a group but, as a couple,
we didn't want to be so far removed from the center of things. I believe that
this is a more private and perhaps more luxurious experience. There is also a pool at Magee, which is not the case at the Brush Creek area.

We did not see French Creek, as it is/was new, so I can't help with that.
http://www.brushcreekranch.com/lodgi...portsmans-club