Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doha

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2023, 10:01 am

RC Sharq Village

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Sharq Village for a week in early December 2023.

Check-in was completed in 5 mins at most, i got a couple of water bottles and some sweets. Staff takes you and your luggage with a golf cart to your room. Golf cart service is available for all guests 24/7 and is free. I preferred to walk around the resort, since it was so peaceful and beautiful. Palm trees, fountains and amazing views made the walks enjoyable. The room is decorated in traditional Arabian style and is 49 sqm and all rooms have a balcony.

The room itself is nicely decorated. It has a desk, a small seating area for 2 people and of course comfortable beds. The bathroom has a bath, a toilet, and a shower cabin. It comes with Asprey purple water amenities.

The service was impeccable, i stayed here on half-board. The only restaurant you can eat in is Al-Liwan, the main restaurant. The food was decent and dinner was different every day.

The beach has to be one of the best in Doha, it is 300m long and has amazing views of the West Bay skyline. There is more than enough seating available. The hotel also has 3 pools, a small whirlpool, a gym, a spa, and many more features. It's a family friendly resort with several activities for children. The hotel also has a pretty big area which can be reserved for weddings and other events. During my stay there was a Qatari wedding, the music could be heard from the other side of the hotel. You don't notice it in the room, but this probably depends on where your room is. I didn't mind it. I would definitely return to this hotel in the future.

Here are some pics.

Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by sandeep.thilakan
Completely agree with cornwall4000 . I would even say that Raffles Doha is among the finest hotels in the Middle East, if not the finest. I am glad that it's in Doha, and not Dubai; since otherwise, they would be charging 2000+ USD for an entry-level suite.
I regret to take back my words after an underwhelming stay over New Year’s Eve. While the hard product is still uniquely word class, and housekeeping did a wonderful job, the rest fell flat. Perhaps the most disastrous part was the famed Raffles Buttler service. From getting pampered during our first stay to waiting for hours to get water delivered, suite number being asked a zillion times, and being charged for plain cappuccino's, it was quite a fall.

The staff at Four Seasons Pearl reminded us of the once great service at Raffles.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:47 am

I regret to take back my words after an underwhelming stay over New Year’s Eve. While the hard product is still uniquely word class, and housekeeping did a wonderful job, the rest fell flat. Perhaps the most disastrous part was the famed Raffles Buttler service. From getting pampered during our first stay to waiting for hours to get water delivered, suite number being asked a zillion times, and being charged for plain cappuccino's, it was quite a fall.

The staff at Four Seasons Pearl reminded us of the once great service at Raffles.
That's too bad, I'm headed to the Raffles in about 2 months from now. Hopefully the service issues were due to them being at higher capacity than usual on NYE.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 1:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat

Wow, I am surprised to hear that, especially about the Butler service and suite number being asked all the time. I spent 7 nights there last month, and luckily my experience was just as good as the last time.

Did you raise the issue with the head butler or management?

FS Pearl is amazing indeed, it felt very exclusive!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by jinyoungkim7
That's too bad, I'm headed to the Raffles in about 2 months from now. Hopefully the service issues were due to them being at higher capacity than usual on NYE.
The full capacity was the main reason for the service shortfalls. I was told that their average occupancy is around 50%, and it seemed like they got a few staff members from the Fairmont who were not trained for the Raffles ethos.

Originally Posted by CanaryWharf
Wow, I am surprised to hear that, especially about the Butler service and suite number being asked all the time. I spent 7 nights there last month, and luckily my experience was just as good as the last time.

Did you raise the issue with the head butler or management?

FS Pearl is amazing indeed, it felt very exclusive!
I raised the issue with the Director of Rooms, Keith Chong, who acknowledged the staffing issues and assured us that this was an exception - something which he was sincerely apologetic about. The service recovery was also quite good until the last day's breakfast when we again had to wait long to get coffee and juices served. But, the real face-in-the-palm moment happened when we asked the butler to get us two cappuccinos a few hours before checkout and they charged us for that, which I honestly had no issues about. Upon checkout, I found that the coffee wasn't added to the final invoice, only for the front office staff to come running while we waited in the lobby and charge us the missed $20!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:07 am

The full capacity was the main reason for the service shortfalls. I was told that their average occupancy is around 50%, and it seemed like they got a few staff members from the Fairmont who were not trained for the Raffles ethos.

I raised the issue with the Director of Rooms, Keith Chong, who acknowledged the staffing issues and assured us that this was an exception - something which he was sincerely apologetic about. The service recovery was also quite good until the last day's breakfast when we again had to wait long to get coffee and juices served. But, the real face-in-the-palm moment happened when we asked the butler to get us two cappuccinos a few hours before checkout and they charged us for that, which I honestly had no issues about. Upon checkout, I found that the coffee wasn't added to the final invoice, only for the front office staff to come running while we waited in the lobby and charge us the missed $20!
That does not sound very good, Sandeep..

Few people realise that this property has lots of behind the scenes drama that is best left in the dark here. Thankfully HM and now acting GM Bernd is one of the best leaders and really wonderful to his team, however the level below and overall environment is highly toxic. Very sad. Christian Hirt (MD for the development/GM for Raffles and Fairmont) was fired recently and is no longer leading this property. I am puzzled how the team is able to work there, they deserve better as the whole product is certainly world class and has so much potential.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:01 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
Originally Posted by CanaryWharf
After trying out 19 five-star hotels in Doha during the past 5 weeks, here is my ranking for the luxury segment:

1) Raffles Doha - truly stunning architecture, outstanding service (not just due to the low occupancy, they really did hire a fantastic professionals), F&B and SPA was excellent and sets the bar high
2) Mandarin Oriental - service was the best out of all hotels, very sophisticated & classy, super friendly & proactive staff, interior design is amazing (understated luxury which is not easy to find in the Middle East)
3) Four Seasons - post-renovation the hotel is shining again, really liked the combination of white and blue colours, Ambassador suite was beauitful, great service as one is expecting from FS and solid F&B offer.

One’s to avoid:

the Chedi - beautiful property but service was seriously lacking. Probably needs another few months to get running properly.
St. Regis - poor service and outdated rooms, would not want to stay there again.
Hoping to pick your brain as you seem very well travelled.
I’m Accor Plus Diamond and have 3n in Doha during March this year. Keen to try both the Fairmont and Raffles but having trouble deciding which one we stay at for 2n and which one for just 1n.
The Fairmont Gold rooms sound very appealing and with the private pool and lounge might be the winner but keen to know what the Gold experience is like at this property and if the Gold included breakfast is sufficient or if I’m better booking a room with breakfast if that is substantially better. Raffles does look absolutely superb but just wondering if I will get a better overall experience by staying at the Fairmont for 2n or the Raffles for 2n.
Much appreaciated if you had some pros and cons or any advice thanks
Old Jan 26, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce
Hoping to pick your brain as you seem very well travelled.
I’m Accor Plus Diamond and have 3n in Doha during March this year. Keen to try both the Fairmont and Raffles but having trouble deciding which one we stay at for 2n and which one for just 1n.
The Fairmont Gold rooms sound very appealing and with the private pool and lounge might be the winner but keen to know what the Gold experience is like at this property and if the Gold included breakfast is sufficient or if I’m better booking a room with breakfast if that is substantially better. Raffles does look absolutely superb but just wondering if I will get a better overall experience by staying at the Fairmont for 2n or the Raffles for 2n.
Much appreaciated if you had some pros and cons or any advice thanks
The Gold lounge has a great team and breakfast will be sufficient for sure - actually I wasn’t impressed by the service at the main restaurant, so would pick breakfast at Gold lounge anytime.

you could do one night Raffles and two nights Fairmont. If you absolutely fall in love with Raffles, I am sure they would let you swap the Fairmont for the Raffles for the second night. Rates are pretty stable, not much fluctuations.

And by the way, Ramadan will start March 11th this year - Qatar has much stricter rules than Dubai, so something to be mindful of as it could impact your stay (closed bars / some restaurants might close or operate with reduced hours)
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:27 am

Ritz doha

Hi,

I’m saying in the Ritz Doha in the next 2 weeks, I’ve booked a standard room with points redemption and am a Marriott Gold Elite. Was wondering if it’s worth asking via email for an upgrade to club room or better to wait until I arrive. The redemption has shot up so not worth rebooking…
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:09 am

Looking for location advice for a ~35 hour stay in Doha in September. Arrive around 5pm Thursday, fly out 9am Saturday.

Will probably go to the Souk Thursday evening, with Friday packed with as much as possible.

Debating the best area to stay, ideally in a higher end Marriott or Hilton property. Is the Sharq village the best just out of closeness to airport? Lusail or the Pearl look nice but not sure if it's worth travelling to the other end of the city
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jk1087
Looking for location advice for a ~35 hour stay in Doha in September. Arrive around 5pm Thursday, fly out 9am Saturday.

Will probably go to the Souk Thursday evening, with Friday packed with as much as possible.

Debating the best area to stay, ideally in a higher end Marriott or Hilton property. Is the Sharq village the best just out of closeness to airport? Lusail or the Pearl look nice but not sure if it's worth travelling to the other end of the city
Mandarin Oriental will perfectly suit your requirements. Although we didn’t stay there, the service was exceptional during dinner, and far better than Raffles.
scented and kosy91 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.