Search

Doha

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:24 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom
Original Poster

Doha

Asides from the Four Seasons, is there any hotel that would be recommended?

I'd prefer something with historic charm if possible, that would be good for just one day and typical tourist stuff. Also, FWIW it's worth we'll have our son who will be six and my wife has blondish/brown hair, and she's not too keen on wearing a burka, but will is she must... so nowhere in super conservative parts of town, if that's possible.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:12 pm

Sharq village for sure.
Awesome pool.
Nice area close to airport.
Great lounge.

FYI.. Your wide can wear bikini in pool just fine there.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:46 pm

I've stayed in Doha, at the Four Seasons. We had a corner suite which we liked a lot, though to be frank it could have been anywhere in the world. There is a nice restaurant, an excellent pool and even a halfway decent beach.

There really isn't anything specific to see in Doha - it's basically one big building site, like most Gulf States, with some incredible modern architecture. There is also, of course, the highly contentious FIFA World Cup site which may or may not be used in 2022. My advice is to rent a car for the day and drive around - there is a lot of sand, dust and villa complexes. There is a so-so UNESCO World Heritage Site at Al Zubarah which consists of a reconstructed fort and the dusty foundations of a trading settlement.

Don't go to Qatar expecting layers of culture and Islamic formality. This place isn't about that at all - it's about beating Dubai and Abu Dhabi and buying the rest of the world.

Driving around these Gulf States is an interesting thing to do - we once drove all seven of the United Arab Emirates starting in Abu Dhabi. Not at all what you'd expect.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 13, 2015 at 11:29 pm
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I've stayed in Doha, at the Four Seasons. We had a corner suite which we liked a lot, though to be frank it could have been anywhere in the world. There is a nice restaurant, an excellent pool and even a halfway decent beach.

There really isn't anything specific to see in Doha - it's basically one big building site, like most Gulf States, with some incredible modern architecture. My advice is to rent a car for the day and drive around - there is a lot of sand, dust and villa complexes. There is a so-so UNESCO World Heritage Site at Al Zubarah which consists of a reconstructed fort and the dusty foundations of a trading settlement.

Don't go to Qatar expecting layers of culture and Islamic formality. This place isn't about that at all - it's about beating Dubai and Abu Dhabi and buying the rest of the world.

Driving around these Gulf States is an interesting thing to do - we once drove all seven of the United Arab Emirates starting in Abu Dhabi. Not at all what you'd expect.
Good info, and entirely in line with what I've read & heard.

I get the feeling EVERY hotel worth staying at will have the 'anywhere in the world' feeling. As you pointed out, it's Doha...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
St Regis is a dump, avoid that! Absolutely nothing to recommend about it (well, the room decor is OK) based on 3 days I spent last October.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by surftb15

FYI.. Your wide can wear bikini in pool just fine there.
Are you calling his wife "wide?"
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:16 am

Agree with this; we had the same room category. And the spa was good (not great), too.

There really isn't anything specific to see in Doha
Absolutely disagree with this. It's worth going, IMO, for the IM Pei designed Museum of Islamic Art alone. That is a stunning building.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Agree with this; we had the same room category. And the spa was good (not great), too.
Always surprises me to hear something like that, as I thought FS Doha is a spa destination in its own right. But I hear you. Quite a few people that were not blown away. Quality spa still, but a destination spa?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by scented
Always surprises me to hear something like that, as I thought FS Doha is a spa destination in its own right. But I hear you. Quite a few people that were not blown away. Quality spa still, but a destination spa?
It was far, FAR too busy for me. But nice facilities and treatments, to be sure.

Caveat: I would never call myself a "Spa Fanatic", so for me there are not really any true "Destination Spas". BUT ... as I said, I would stop by Doha again just to visit the MIA.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:03 am

There is nothing "charming" in Qatar.

Having said that, I have stayed at the FS many times. There is a new Kempinski. Has anyone tried it?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
you can always do better than doha.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by speedbird001
There is a new Kempinski. Has anyone tried it?
Yes. It's pretty soulless. The rooms are similar to what you see in Kempinskis all over the ME. The hotel is very large and feels it. F&B is ok, though the bar is a bit dark and lacking atmosphere in my opinion. The fake beach area is actually the best part of the hotel, I'd say. The whole place is good for Doha, but nothing like some of the options you have in Dubai.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Absolutely disagree with this. It's worth going, IMO, for the IM Pei designed Museum of Islamic Art alone. That is a stunning building.
Totally agree! ^
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by scented
It's a decent FS property but not what I would consider a "destination spa." However it does well by comparison to the nearby Sheraton and the newer IC. My main complaint was the cig smoke that permeates the bar area, though this is by no means unique to FS in Doha. The pool area is very resort-like and a nice place to spend a day if you are stuck in Doha.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 31, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Stayed at the Oryx compliments of QR as a J passenger back in May, compliments of Qatar Airways. I found it quite nice - not super luxe, but very nice, and for the price you can't beat it . Also, as a QR J passenger they comped me the fantastic buffet - one-ups Vegas buffets easily. Anyone else stayed there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.