Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for help choosing hotels in Rome/Florence/Venice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyr16
We are heading to Florence and Bologna soon and narrowing out hotel choices. This info is helpful.
@flyer16 if you are going to be in Bologna, you are in for some great food! I found recommendations for two sort of off-the-beaten path places (a bit of a hike from our hotel) that turned out to be our favorite dining experiences of the trip:

All'Osteria Bottega
Osteria Broccaindosso
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:07 pm

Grazie for the recommendations. Yes, we will be there at least a few days.

in terms of hotels, in this forum, it seems there is just the one choice and will head there.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Do NOT NOT NOT stay at the Hotel Raphael. I recently checked in there (August), because I had fond memories of staying there years ago as a child with my parents. The rooms are terrible and the walls are paper thing. The location is great, the rooftop bar is nice, the gym is OK and the staff are nice enough, but you're paying for a closet and anyone walking in the hallways or even noise from the lobby depending on which floor your on will sound like it's happening in your room and keep you awake.

I don't love the Hotel de Russie, but it's probably the best option.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by James500
Rome.

My recommendation is Majestic http://www.hotelmajestic.com/

Simply amazing.
Agreed, I love it, but it is amazing because it is low key, has a remarkable collection of recent Roman history photos, has friendly employees and guests, and does not cost an arm and a leg. You really have to get an upgrade; the smallest rooms are basically closets. It is gracious but not over-the-top luxurious.

Has anyone here had fun - real, old-fashioned "La Dolce Vita" fun - on the Via Veneto? North of the Majestic, which is the traditionally luxurious part with "Sophia Loren con Errol Flynn e Audrey Hepburn con Anthony Quinn," seems
dead as a doornail and has for decades. I keep wanting the sixties to come back to it.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel
has friendly guests
Didn´t stay so far
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:00 am
Original Poster

@getsetjetset that is interesting about the Raphael. I initially wanted to stay there because the location seemed perfect. But they never even returned our travel agent's phone calls to inquire about availability. (The only rooms the web site showed availability for looked like shoeboxes.)

So we ended up staying at the Westin where our room was very spacious and very quiet. And more of a walk to burn off calories.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
What's the consensus here regarding JK Roma? Service? Hard Product? Location?

Also what about St Regis Rome?

Last edited by BENLEE; Nov 8, 2015 at 4:54 am
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I stayed in 2009, so not really a fresh experience. I liked it, but it´s very opulent. I also liked the location, many people don´t
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:49 pm

Rome seems impossible as far as hotels are concerned. I've got flights booked for January and can't find anywhere to stay. I thought the Raphael until a few posts ago by GetSetJetSet because it was in the right area. For us, the best hotels are in the wrong area - we aren't interested in shopping, the Vatican, the Spanish steps area. We like the Piazza Navona, the Pantheon and the Roman Empire ruins. TripAdvisor raves about the Albergo de Senato by the Pantheon but the rooms look terrible. Oh dear, I think I'll sleep on the streets with the Syrians.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:15 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I think JK is about as close to the location you seek Pausanias without moving to a 4 star property. I also think it is one of the best choice for Rome
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:36 pm

The Albergo del Senato has been mentioned before -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23380432-post12.html
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:46 pm

Yes, Quitecontrary, the Senato did look just the ticket, until I really ran a check on it and looked at the photos of all the rooms.

Anyway, I've booked the Raphael today. One of the Junior Suites. Five days in January for a photo safari, wanting rain glistening on the cobbles etc. I'll report back!

Last edited by Pausanias; Nov 9, 2015 at 5:15 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
What's the consensus here regarding JK Roma? Service? Hard Product? Location?

JK Roma is right in the heart of the high-end shopping area. It has beautiful public areas but poorly designed rooms and a disappointing restaurant. Service is hit and miss.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:40 am

After having booked the penthouse suite at the Albergo del Senato I cancelled it when I saw some extremely disappointing photos. I then booked through the R&C 5C member concierge service the Raphael. This looked like the perfect solution - the ideal area and a nice junior suite with highly contemporary decor. I then had an email from the hotel saying they could not offer wifi and that their restaurant was strictly vegetarian/vegan with raw dishes. I asked for confirmation as I could not believe what I was reading. They did confirm it, so I cancelled. They also wanted to charge me 110 Euros for a one-way airport pick-up.

I'm currently booked at a place called FortySeven - perfect area, gorgeous-looking terrace suite, complimentary airport transfers. What can go wrong?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
After having booked the penthouse suite at the Albergo del Senato I cancelled it when I saw some extremely disappointing photos. I then booked through the R&C 5C member concierge service the Raphael. This looked like the perfect solution - the ideal area and a nice junior suite with highly contemporary decor. I then had an email from the hotel saying they could not offer wifi and that their restaurant was strictly vegetarian/vegan with raw dishes. I asked for confirmation as I could not believe what I was reading. They did confirm it, so I cancelled. They also wanted to charge me 110 Euros for a one-way airport pick-up.

I'm currently booked at a place called FortySeven - perfect area, gorgeous-looking terrace suite, complimentary airport transfers. What can go wrong?
Raphael looks nice in my eyes, but no Rome-trip planed so far. Depending on car the transfer-rate seems to be average. No wifi is weak indeed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.