FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Looking for help choosing hotels in Rome/Florence/Venice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1690062-looking-help-choosing-hotels-rome-florence-venice.html)

ejong Jun 24, 15 8:29 am

Looking for help choosing hotels in Rome/Florence/Venice

The more research I do, the more uncertain I am about where to stay.

Rome: originally thought about the de Russie but with 6 nights there I think I should be a bit more careful with my euros. Raphael? d'Inghliterra? Any thoughts?

Florence: originally thought Portrait Suites. I know they are part of Lugarno but is the hotel proper a better plan?

Venice: originally wanted to splurge on the Gritti Palace but maybe could save a bit by choosing the Bauer instead?

We are also staying a few nights at Castiglione de Bosco. And I need a recommendation for a hotel in Bologna where we will stay for two nights.

If it matters, this will be my first trip to Italy.
Thanks for any insight/advice

Goodmorning2U Jun 24, 15 8:33 am

For Florence, I cannot more highly recommend the Four Seasons. It is exceptional in hard product, service, and cuisine. And, a new Director of Rooms has come, Mr. Selvaggi. He is fantastic.

offerendum Jun 24, 15 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 25020093)
For Florence, I cannot more highly recommend the Four Seasons.

+1, I can only recommend it.

wripro Jun 24, 15 11:55 am

Four Seasons is wonderful but I spent four nights at Portrait Suites and though tit was exceptional too. Much smaller, of course, but much better location with superb views of the Arno and Ferragamo's design and touches everywhere. Plus the service was top notch.

In Rome the De Russie is my favorite. Also check out the Portrait Roma.

Pierre&Cédric Jun 24, 15 12:15 pm

Four Seasons Florence and Aman Canal Grande are almost obvious choices.
No idea for Rome. We hated the De Russie and we will not go back before something decent opens.

bhrubin Jun 24, 15 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric (Post 25021277)
Four Seasons Florence and Aman Canal Grande are almost obvious choices.
No idea for Rome. We hated the De Russie and we will not go back before something decent opens.

What made you hate the De Russie?

DavidO Jun 24, 15 12:49 pm

In Venice, take a look at Luna Baglioni.

There's now a Virtuoso hotel in Bologna, Grand Hotel Majestic Gia Baglioni —

Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests
$100 USD Equivalent Food & Beverage credit, to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
Early check-in/late check-out subject to availability

Originally Posted by ejong (Post 25020068)

Rome: originally thought about the de Russie but with 6 nights there I think I should be a bit more careful with my euros. Raphael? d'Inghliterra? Any thoughts?

Florence: originally thought Portrait Suites. I know they are part of Lugarno but is the hotel proper a better plan?

Venice: originally wanted to splurge on the Gritti Palace but maybe could save a bit by choosing the Bauer instead?

We are also staying a few nights at Castiglione de Bosco. And I need a recommendation for a hotel in Bologna where we will stay for two nights.

MSPeconomist Jun 24, 15 1:00 pm

Ingliterra is interesting, pleasant, and in a great location, but it's more four star than true luxury.

In Bologna, IMO there's really only one hotel but I can't remember the name. It's a couple blocks from the cathedral and university's historic main building, on the right side of the street as you walk toward the very center (or away from the train station, which is some distance away) and on a street with shops and arches and a roof over the sidewalk. Just be aware that very few of their rooms and suites have bathtubs.

ADDED: It's the Baglioni. Perhaps about a hundred rooms. Good restaurant too (black truffles!) with sidewalk tables.

Pierre&Cédric Jun 24, 15 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25021381)
What made you hate the De Russie?

Our room was facing the narrow & noisy street and the place felt soulless. We tried a second property from the Rocco Forte collection years later and we had the same mixed feeling. Room was much much better but I still don't like the decor and atmosphere. I have to admit that my iPhone was robbed in Rome close to the Trevi Fountain and it probably tainted my view and experience negatively.

ejong Jun 24, 15 4:50 pm

[QUOTE=wripro;25021171]Four Seasons is wonderful but I spent four nights at Portrait Suites and though tit was exceptional too. Much smaller, of course, but much better location with superb views of the Arno and Ferragamo's design and touches everywhere. Plus the service was top notch.

@wripro I am a bit confused about Portrait Suites vs Lungarno in Florence. I thought they were one and the same but I think (doing all this research on my phone) there is a hotel proper and then the Suites are at a different location. Do you recommend the Suites over the hotel?

Sigh. I know I would love the de Russie. But we are going to be in Rome six nights and I am trying to spend (substantially) less than the 1200 euro a night we were quoted there. Our trip is three weeks total and the hotel costs are going to mount up quickly...

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

ABG Jun 24, 15 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by ejong (Post 25022597)
I am a bit confused about Portrait Suites vs Lungarno in Florence. I thought they were one and the same but I think (doing all this research on my phone) there is a hotel proper and then the Suites are at a different location.

Portrait Suites is in Rome.
Hotel Lungarno and Portrait Firenze are across the Arno river from each other, the Portrait Firenze being the all "suite" property and recently renovated

In Rome, look into JK maybe as another option over Russie.

Pausanias Jun 25, 15 1:47 am

I don't know Florence very well and can't comment. However, I do know Rome and Venice quite well and would say that location is very important. In Rome, decide on what you want to see - personally, I think the Russie Hotel is in a bad location because I have no interest in shopping or the Renaissance/Roman Catholic side of the city. I like the older city, the ancient Roman city, the pagan city, as well as Trastevere.

In Venice I would definitely avoid the traditional five star palaces - the Gritti, Danieli, Bauer etc. All are crawling with tour groups and while the map looks to be a fab location for all hotels you will quickly tire of the noise and the hordes of tourists, especially when a big cruise ship is in the lagoon. If money is no object the Aman Canal Grande might be the best option, though I don't fancy it myself, especially not after that Clooney circus. We last stayed at the Ca'Sagredo which we adored, as many people on this Forum seem to.

offerendum Jun 25, 15 3:12 am

Once stayed at the St. Regis in Rome. If the Price is OK I think it´s a good Option. I liked also the location, also most people think it´s not great.

Larry Siegel Jun 25, 15 3:35 am

Originally Posted by ejong (Post 25020068)

Rome: I love the Majestic, on lower Via Veneto near Piazza Barberini. It is not 5-star luxury but is a "fat" 4 with many charming features. Be sure and get a deluxe double or at least a superior double - not a tiny single room. Costs in the $200's per night.

Florence: the Baglioni. $200's.

Everyone loves Italy. You will too.

pricesquire Jun 25, 15 7:06 am

Rome: JK
Florence: FS