Quebec City and Montreal luxury options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Frontenac is a beautiful building in a stunning location, but don't expect true luxury. My biggest objection is that it can be filled with tour groups, although there's a separate side entrance for groups arriving by bus so that they don't line up in the main lobby.
Yes, I agree. I've listened to many here and in private messages, as well as looked at many reviews on tripadvisor. My impression is that the Frontenac looks to be the part of luxury but isn't actually as nice as it outwardly seems. For the difference in price, too, I lean still towards the St. Antoine or even the St. Germaine Dominion which offer more contemporary elegance if not true luxury, and in more boutique environments that we'd prefer. My impression in QC is that there is no clearcut luxury winner, so I don't think we can go wrong between those choices.

I don't mind paying more when the product is absolutely better. But in QC, it just doesn't seem any better.

In Montreal, the Ritz certainly seems more our style...but the W is not far off in terms that matter to us, and the W is far cheaper and I'll get upgraded to a junior suite/suite, anyway. Without SPG Plat status, I might have opted for the Ritz. But with SPG Plat status, the W seems the best option for us. (Not to mention that the 2 rooms for 3 nights gets me 6 nights toward Plat status for the next year.)
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
My impression is that the Frontenac looks to be the part of luxury but isn't actually as nice as it outwardly seems.
The same can be said of pretty much every Fairmont property in Canada (except the ones in Whistler and Vancouver). The interiors and infrastructure (like plumbing) are way past their expiration date, and as good as the service is the hard product seems like a trip into a distant, and fairly stuffy past. Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, QC, Edmonton are all of the same overdone English style with dated interiors.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ridefar
The same can be said of pretty much every Fairmont property in Canada (except the ones in Whistler and Vancouver). The interiors and infrastructure (like plumbing) are way past their expiration date, and as good as the service is the hard product seems like a trip into a distant, and fairly stuffy past. Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, QC, Edmonton are all of the same overdone English style with dated interiors.
I don't necessarily disagree, though I'd change the description to "most historic city-center Fairmont properties in Canada". Many of the resort properties have updated the interiors and infrastructure while some of the city center Fairmont hotels such as the Fairmont Calgary and Fairmont Toronto are among the least impressive Fairmont hotels (and far from true luxury hotels).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

My assessment, exactly. Maybe we'll visit for a drink, but it isn't where we want to stay.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ABG
Ah but you can.... since every room is basically different and decorated by the owner's ex-wife the style changes from room to room and isn't ever much in line with today trends in hospitality decor. Which is why the Ritz gets the edge at on accommodations with their beautiful rooms and rooftop pool. However, the top 2 suites at St James are stunning with great outdoor space
Ok you win. My post was annoyingly vague, lacking any value with regards to helping the OP. Mea culpa.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I stayed at Lake Louise, the regular rooms impressed me a small with identical cheap outdated furnishings, although the lakefront views were nice. Fortunately I was unpgraded to a wonderful two-story corner two-bedroom suite, which was great. However, I would have felt ripped off to pay their prices for standard rooms. OTOH, I liked some of the hotel's restaurants (but not the zoo that was their breakfast buffet) and the history of the place was fun as well as the location.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:43 am

Quebec City and Montreal luxury options

I live in Montreal and agree with one of the previous comments. the Hotel St-James has fabulous rooms/suites. The views are not great but is an amazing hotel. if you are after the best view in Montreal it would be the hotel Chateaux Champlain. it is a Marriott however it does for sure ha e amazing views. In Quebec city stay in the Chateaux Frontenac and one of the signature suites. You will not be dissapointed
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yes, I agree. I've listened to many here and in private messages, as well as looked at many reviews on tripadvisor. My impression is that the Frontenac looks to be the part of luxury but isn't actually as nice as it outwardly seems. For the difference in price, too, I lean still towards the St. Antoine or even the St. Germaine Dominion which offer more contemporary elegance if not true luxury, and in more boutique environments that we'd prefer. My impression in QC is that there is no clearcut luxury winner, so I don't think we can go wrong between those choices.

I don't mind paying more when the product is absolutely better. But in QC, it just doesn't seem any better.

In Montreal, the Ritz certainly seems more our style...but the W is not far off in terms that matter to us, and the W is far cheaper and I'll get upgraded to a junior suite/suite, anyway. Without SPG Plat status, I might have opted for the Ritz. But with SPG Plat status, the W seems the best option for us. (Not to mention that the 2 rooms for 3 nights gets me 6 nights toward Plat status for the next year.)
I disagree, there is a clearn winner. You're visiting a 17th century UNESCO heritage town and the last remaining fortified city in North America. The Château Frontenac is a majestic castle situated in the Upper Town, built atop a cliff and overlooking the fairytale-like village of Old Quebec; past the ancient ramparts, bastions, and the scenic Frontenac River. It's a fixture of the skyline and is said to be among the most photographed hotels in the world. It's a National Historic Site and architectural marvel; a wonderously preserved historic monument. It's arguably the center of attraction in Old Quebec and a fundamental landmark for all visitors. To chose to stay elsewhere just because you're not offered concierge butler service or the fanciest rainhead shower seems utterly foolish to me, but that's just my personal opinion. If you want to avoid the tour groups, visit early spring, late fall, or anytime mid-winter save the holidays - though it can be absolutely magical during that time of year when the cobblestone streets are blanketed in freshly fallen snow and the river's aglow beaneath the cascading lights of the town; a veritable winter wonderland. I've stayed at The Frontenac many, many, many times when the hotel was quiet and mostly empty. If you book a Gold Suite with a view of the river, there's really little to complain about, and if you aren't completely in awe of the Frontenac then I wonder if Quebec City is really the best destination for you. Most people chose to visit Quebec for it's rich history, architecture, and medieval European village feel. The old town is quaint and picturesque but it's not exactly a mecca of culture or commerce. You visit for the old world romance, not modern luxury. You can find that in most any city.

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 31, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I stayed at Lake Louise, the regular rooms impressed me a small with identical cheap outdated furnishings, although the lakefront views were nice. Fortunately I was unpgraded to a wonderful two-story corner two-bedroom suite, which was great. However, I would have felt ripped off to pay their prices for standard rooms. OTOH, I liked some of the hotel's restaurants (but not the zoo that was their breakfast buffet) and the history of the place was fun as well as the location.
The Chateau Lake Louise is an architectural eyesore and visual blight on the surrounding landscape. It's a tremendous oversized commercialized tourist zoo with no semblance of thought, regard or consideration for any harmonious relationship with the surrounding environment. It's the very essence of aesthetic discord. An unsightly overdeveloped Di$neyworld-esque tourist theme park situated in one of Canada's most pristine wildernesses. The privatization and commercialization of our Canadian parks is shameful and the fact that this monstrous structure is forever reflected in the postcard glacial waters of Lake Louise, defacing such a natural wonder, is more than unfortunate; it's disgraceful, offensive and in the worst taste. It has no business in a National Park and should be moved to Vegas or torn to the ground.

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 31, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Since bhrubin values air conditioning very highly, I have to warn him that our stay at Chateau Frontenac a number of years ago was nearly intolerable because of the dreadfully inadequate air conditioning. Perhaps it has improved, but......
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:09 pm

I've never been at a time when AC would've been necessary but I've been countless times in the dead of winter when it's been below freezing and never had any issues as the rooms are all climate controlled.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
If it ' s between mid / late Sep to May , it should be cool enough in the room .
We are comfortable with 16/18 C indoors & were there in Sep , our window could also be left open which was great . It can still be rather warm outside but the thick walls seemed to help Very glad we chose to stay in this centrally located landmark chateaux .
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:15 am

I don't know if you are aware but the Chateau Frontenac has been renovated recently. I didn't visit but the pictures seem nice.

I'm from Quebec city and I can tell you that le Germain Dominion, Auberge St Antoine and le Chateau Frontenac are all good choices. However, if it's your first time I think you should go for the gold floor at le Chateau Frontenac

I now live in Montreal, but before living here I stayed on the Gold floor at the Queen Elizabeth for a couple of years and then I stayed at the W for a couple of years (a couple of week ends per year).

My first choice in Montreal would be the W (I have to say that I'm also their target market), if you have the budget for a wow suite, go for it.

My second choice would be the Ritz (the only 5 diamonds in the province of Quebec), the hotel is nice, the service seems really good. The St James seems too uptight for my taste, but maybe that's just me.

The gold floor is also a good choice, however, apart from the gold floor, the hotel is really ordinary.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:41 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by OliverB
The Château Frontenac is a majestic castle situated in the Upper Town, built atop a cliff and overlooking the fairytale-like village of Old Quebec; past the ancient ramparts, bastions, and the scenic Frontenac River. It's a fixture of the skyline and is said to be among the most photographed hotels in the world. It's a National Historic Site and architectural marvel; a wonderously preserved historic monument.
Frontenac River?
You realize the architectural marvel you speak of here comes from the same team who did the Chateau Lake Louise that you describe as an eyesore?

In the end, this majestic building is something to view and visit, but not to stay as it is, like most big projects in Quebec, controlled by owners who don't care and unions who ruin it. There is no soul to this hotel anymore, it was killed years ago.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by lolosmama
Since bhrubin values air conditioning very highly, I have to warn him that our stay at Chateau Frontenac a number of years ago was nearly intolerable because of the dreadfully inadequate air conditioning. Perhaps it has improved, but......
Thank you for that info! I'd already decided the Frontenac wasn't the right choice for us, and your comment just confirmed it for me absolutely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.