FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quebec City and Montreal luxury options
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:11 pm
OliverB

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yes, I agree. I've listened to many here and in private messages, as well as looked at many reviews on tripadvisor. My impression is that the Frontenac looks to be the part of luxury but isn't actually as nice as it outwardly seems. For the difference in price, too, I lean still towards the St. Antoine or even the St. Germaine Dominion which offer more contemporary elegance if not true luxury, and in more boutique environments that we'd prefer. My impression in QC is that there is no clearcut luxury winner, so I don't think we can go wrong between those choices.

I don't mind paying more when the product is absolutely better. But in QC, it just doesn't seem any better.

In Montreal, the Ritz certainly seems more our style...but the W is not far off in terms that matter to us, and the W is far cheaper and I'll get upgraded to a junior suite/suite, anyway. Without SPG Plat status, I might have opted for the Ritz. But with SPG Plat status, the W seems the best option for us. (Not to mention that the 2 rooms for 3 nights gets me 6 nights toward Plat status for the next year.)
I disagree, there is a clearn winner. You're visiting a 17th century UNESCO heritage town and the last remaining fortified city in North America. The Château Frontenac is a majestic castle situated in the Upper Town, built atop a cliff and overlooking the fairytale-like village of Old Quebec; past the ancient ramparts, bastions, and the scenic Frontenac River. It's a fixture of the skyline and is said to be among the most photographed hotels in the world. It's a National Historic Site and architectural marvel; a wonderously preserved historic monument. It's arguably the center of attraction in Old Quebec and a fundamental landmark for all visitors. To chose to stay elsewhere just because you're not offered concierge butler service or the fanciest rainhead shower seems utterly foolish to me, but that's just my personal opinion. If you want to avoid the tour groups, visit early spring, late fall, or anytime mid-winter save the holidays - though it can be absolutely magical during that time of year when the cobblestone streets are blanketed in freshly fallen snow and the river's aglow beaneath the cascading lights of the town; a veritable winter wonderland. I've stayed at The Frontenac many, many, many times when the hotel was quiet and mostly empty. If you book a Gold Suite with a view of the river, there's really little to complain about, and if you aren't completely in awe of the Frontenac then I wonder if Quebec City is really the best destination for you. Most people chose to visit Quebec for it's rich history, architecture, and medieval European village feel. The old town is quaint and picturesque but it's not exactly a mecca of culture or commerce. You visit for the old world romance, not modern luxury. You can find that in most any city.

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 31, 2014 at 4:19 pm