Reload this Page >

Koh Samui, Thailand Hotel Decision

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Koh Samui, Thailand Hotel Decision

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by orli-flier
What about Angthong Marine Park? It looks beautiful. We were thinking of chartering a boat one day...
It is beautiful. We did a group boat trip with pickup at the FS. The FS Koh Samui is amazing and not to be missed!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
For our Koh Samui holiday last year, we were puzzled between staying at W hotel, Four Seasons, Conrad and Banyan Tree (since they all seemed to have their advantages and disadvantages from the many internet reviews). So, in the end, we decided to stay at 3 of them (W, FS, BT ... unfortuenately not the Conrad) and I can tell you the FS was the big winner of the 3. It pretty much blew us away from beginning till the end, and I would even quote it one of the best beach resorts I ever visited (and definitely one of my favourite FS resorts). So you cannot go wrong with the FS.

PROS :
- beach : while the Koh Samui beaches are not really idyllic, the private beach of the FS is the exception : powdery, white sand, lined by impressive palm trees, hugging a transparent blue sea. This comes close to paradise, and is worth all the travel from Europe/USA. Some people on the internet wrote that the beach is rocky, but they must have been at another resort, as I could wade in the water at low tide waist deep and not encounter any rock at all (there is a reef further out though). The beach is far superior to any other beach at Koh Samui (including the beach of the W hotel and the one of the Banyan Tree hotel).
- the resort is oriented to the north and the beach only gets sun until about 2 hours before sunset, as the sun will disappear behind a hill … but what we did not know and may reassure future travelers is that the hotel has a bar at the top of the hill where you will be able to enjoy the late afternoon sun and watch the most stunning sunsets ever (at least in winter time). This was such a pleasant surprise as I feared from reading some tripadvisor comments that the hotel suffered from a lack of sunshine because of its orientation : not true! Nevertheless, if you want sunshine on the beach from sunrise to sunset, than the W hotel will be your best choice although is not as beautiful nor as exclusive as the Four Seasons.
- the welcome at the private lobby at the top of the hotel will immediately bring you in the right mood as the vistas from this lobby are simply stunning and beyond words.
- the staff is very friendly and the service (both at the beach as elsewhere) impeccable. At the beach, they will serve you little, complimentary snacks about every hour.
- the gardens and tropically lush hotel grounds are very well manicured
- villas are large, very nicely decorated, and all come with an amazing outside space. It is true that some villas do not enjoy a lot of sunlight because they are tucked away deeply in the jungle, so request a room with a lot of sunlight on the terrace. The higher the villa is located, the better the view. In comparison, I would rate the villas at the Banyan Tree higher in comparison to their counterparts at the Four Seasons as they enjoy more sunlight (some villas even have sunset views) and they come with larger pools (some even with hot tubes), but the beds at the Banyan Tree are harder than those at the Four Seasons, service is not as good at the Banyan Tree (especially at the beach) and while the beach as the Banyan Tree is nice, it is a golden sand beach (not a powdery white one like the Four Seasons).
- Many reviews on the internet mention a mosquito problem at the resort. I am prone to mosquito bites, yet, I did not encounter one mosquito during my stay, so I guess that the mosquito problem is only present during the rainy season.
- Food (dinner) is excellent
- The spa is wonderfully located (in the rainforest) and the treatment rooms all offer beautiful vistas of the sunset, so I would advise you to make a booking after 5 pm, when the last rays of sun have quit the main beach.

CONS:
- I found the buffet breakfast rather underwhelming (certainly when you compare it to the extravagant buffet breakfast of the Banyan Tree hotel). I may have to do with the fact that the breakfast is displayed in a rather small room, hence not allowing a larger buffet. Nevertheless, for a hotel of this caliber, the breakfast was not totally in accordance with the surrounding grandeur.
- the Castaway Dinner (barbeque buffet on the beach in the little sandy cove next to the main beach) was truly a nice experience, but it was also the only time that the service let us down. Our side dishes were only served after we had already finished our meat and fish. Rather disappointing. I guess it was just a bad coincidence of circumstances, but somehow it would have been nice if the hotel had offered a compensation to make up for this.
- The lounge chairs on the beach where uncomfortable. Some extra cushions on these beach chairs would have helped a lot.
- Wifi was available in the rooms, but there was no wifi at the beach (unless you were seated close to the bar-. This may not bother some, but we did miss it to surf the internet on our tablets while lounging on the beach.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AsiaMiles
Koh Samui villa rental, what area (or villa) would you recommend?

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have been going to Samui for years and have progressed from my backpacking days to 25 years later Four Seasons and other establishment days ...

The Four Seasons is the best option if you want a hotel.

If you want to be closer to things, the best option is to rent a villa.
For those of you familiar with Koh Samui, what area would you recommend for a villa rental? I think what we want is a soft sand beach that's good for swimming in. No need for any activities nearby as I don't think we'll leave the villa much.

Any recommendations for a villa as well?

Trip details:
- 12 people
- November '14 for 3 short nights ...

Villa needs:
- Beautiful beach
- Private pool
- Outdoor eating area
- Thai chef

Many thanks!!
Old May 8, 2014, 12:10 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by biebster
Any recommendations for a villa as well?

Trip details:
- 12 people
- November '14 for 3 short nights ...

Villa needs:
- Beautiful beach
- Private pool
- Outdoor eating area
- Thai chef

Many thanks!!
Some refined choices here: http://www.zekkeicollection.com/en/l...land/kohsamui/

A few of these are actually owned by Zekkei Collection itself, specifically Mekkala, Hinta and Hinyai.

A wider range here (though many are the same): http://www.luxuryvillasandhomes.com/

LV&H manages a fair few of these, and markets others (but doesn't own or co-own any as far as I'm aware).
Old May 8, 2014, 8:09 pm

Thanks very much for the suggestions. To add some further detail, we're looking for ~6 bedroom villas for USD2500 or below per night I think (it seems a lot of nice-looking villas go for less than 2000/night).

Any thoughts on which area of Koh Samui has the nicest beaches?

Many thanks!
Old May 8, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thanks very much for the suggestions. To add some further detail, we're looking for ~6 bedroom villas for USD2500 or below per night I think (it seems a lot of nice-looking villas go for less than 2000/night).

Many thanks!
I think November is still considered low-season for the villas so you're in luck as you may get one of those for around USD1,800/night incl. taxes for a 6 bedroom.

With a semi-private beachfront near most of those villas, I wouldn't too much about which area has the best beaches. Most of the beachfront area in front of those private villas is more than good enough.

Mekkala has a six bedrooms and is rather a nice villa, particularly for beachfrontage.

LV&H allows you to filter by beach (and country/region) as well so worth looking at a few extra options on that site.

Last edited by chinmoylad; May 8, 2014 at 8:27 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 3:18 am

!
Can't help with the villa as it's a while since we stayed and we stayed as a family in a 4* but all the beaches were lovely and of course the best ones are a bit overdeveloped. 2 that I really liked were Thongtakian and Choeng Mon - any villas near them? Although you want a chef it's also nice to be able to go to some local places to eat so being close to restaurants may be a good idea.

USM is my favourite airport anywhere!
Old May 9, 2014, 9:49 pm

Thanks v much quitecontrary!
Old May 10, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'll be in Koh Samui next week,so will report back.
We chose the W,because we wanted a funky younger experience without too much compromise on the quality of the accommodation or service.
I know the W brand is less than higher end,but there are a few properties including this one that have a good reputation.

We'll have a car so will visit all the properties mentioned,I'm quite looking forward to this.
I understand the W does have wifi on the beach,so towards the end of the stay,I'd be hoping to post a few pictures.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Earthman
I'll be in Koh Samui next week,so will report back.
We chose the W,because we wanted a funky younger experience without too much compromise on the quality of the accommodation or service.
I know the W brand is less than higher end,but there are a few properties including this one that have a good reputation.

We'll have a car so will visit all the properties mentioned,I'm quite looking forward to this.
I understand the W does have wifi on the beach,so towards the end of the stay,I'd be hoping to post a few pictures.
Looking forward to the pics but can't say I'm a fan of this (and the Bali) property at all!
Old May 10, 2014, 9:08 am

Thanks v much quitecontrary!
Did you get my PM? Let me know if you need any help!
Old May 22, 2014, 1:10 am

We've a few days left here at the W Koh Samui and I have to say its a winner on all fronts with me,service,style,crowd,everything basically.
Beautiful villa up high,tropical oasis,I think with a partial sea view.
We will be very sad leaving.
The sound system in the villa is fantastic,we have our iPad hooked in streaming music in super high quality from spotify.
Food in Noma,top notch.
We spent a day on the four seasons beach and whilst the service there,we only being visitors was perfect and it's beautifully secluded in a cove of its own(no one there or in the pool beside it)..we couldn't wait to get back to the W.

I've loads of pictures and will post some when home but that is my observation,I will give more comment then also.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:34 am

Nice report - Earthman - glad you're enjoying it. Is everyone there young and funky like you?
Look forward to the photos.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:11 am

But of course Quitecontrary...even more so tonight as its
mojhito madness night here
Old May 22, 2014, 9:25 am

What's the situation like in Samui with the whole Thailand thing going on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.