Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Koh Samui, Thailand Hotel Decision

Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.

Having a hard time deciding between Conrad and Four Seasons. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:17 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
I would definitely opt for the Four Seasons as I find the pavillons much more charming than the ones at the Conrad. The resort is itself more stunning as well, at least in my opinion.
One thing that might be annoying though is the fact that you almost constantly rely on buggies to move from your villa to the beach or to the reception or the restaurant. They come nonetheless rather quickly (never waited more than 5 minutes).
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:49 am

Four Seasons absolutely without a shred of doubt.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
+1
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:20 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Haven't stayed, only visited the Four Seasons. Didn't have time to visit Conrad as it was just opening the month after I was last there.

I love the location of the Four Seasons though.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
+2
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Four Seasons. Great pavilions and beautiful property with stellar service.

FWIW, I rarely used the buggies, even when going long distances, unless I was running late for an appointment or something.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Four Seasons by a country mile. The level of service and FSPP benefits alone beat Hilton.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:50 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by orli-flier
Having a hard time deciding between Conrad and Four Seasons. Any thoughts?
If you must go to Thailand and Koh Samui, try the Napasai, great food and good value.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: A3 G/SK EBG/CZ Gold/IHG RA/HYATT D/HH D
Library looks great!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:11 am

Was on Samui in April last year.

Stayed at Banyan Tree, great villas, great service, food was ok.

Had a breakfast at FS, the view is even better than the view at Banyan Tree, the facilities I could see where great, according to their website their villas seems a bit smaller, especially the pools. Breakfast at FS was much much better than in Banyan Tree.

Also tryed Napasai and found everything really bad. Although the price is much lower than at BT and FS the value for money is much worse. Villa was ok, Food was bad, Service was bad, Pool Facilites were bad and the way into the ocean is full of big stones, which made it painful to enter the water.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
My limited experience on the island was really centered around the FS, although I visited The Library and a few other properties. FS has a great, terrible location.

Great in so much as it's beautifully located in a private corner of the island with rather private vistas of the sea and beyond. Terrible in that it's far from most island activities, although perhaps that's by design as staying on the property there certainly is amenable and obviously preferred by the hotel.

Overall I'd say, like I've read in other threads before, this isn't an Aman style experience, but perhaps the best the island has to offer. I'd definitely recommend an upgraded villa. I had a private pool villa, just overlooking but not directly on the beach - privacy was paramount in my selection.

Very nice villa, despite the issues with hot water and bugs, but overall quite pleasant. What wasn't quite up to par about this resort was the service. I found it to be below other FS, even those domestic properties in America (gasp!), which could have been due to language issues or simply training. FWIW, when I contacted the GM, he made it right and then some. I was impressed with the management response.

Overall if I was going back to USM, I'd stay at the FS again. But I am in no rush to return to Samui. So many other places to try, and so many desires to go back to Amanpulo.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:08 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
There's a Six Senses there too - that might be an alternative option, or indeed, the Banyan Tree (which I actually like more than their Banyan Tree in Phuket).
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
My limited experience on the island was really centered around the FS, although I visited The Library and a few other properties. FS has a great, terrible location.

Great in so much as it's beautifully located in a private corner of the island with rather private vistas of the sea and beyond. Terrible in that it's far from most island activities, although perhaps that's by design as staying on the property there certainly is amenable and obviously preferred by the hotel.

Overall I'd say, like I've read in other threads before, this isn't an Aman style experience, but perhaps the best the island has to offer. I'd definitely recommend an upgraded villa. I had a private pool villa, just overlooking but not directly on the beach - privacy was paramount in my selection.

Very nice villa, despite the issues with hot water and bugs, but overall quite pleasant. What wasn't quite up to par about this resort was the service. I found it to be below other FS, even those domestic properties in America (gasp!), which could have been due to language issues or simply training. FWIW, when I contacted the GM, he made it right and then some. I was impressed with the management response.

Overall if I was going back to USM, I'd stay at the FS again. But I am in no rush to return to Samui. So many other places to try, and so many desires to go back to Amanpulo.
I have been going to Samui for years and have progressed from my backpacking days to 25 years later Four Seasons and other establishment days. Samui has changed... a lot- some good, a lot very bad, however in general it checks the boxes of "close to Bangkok, very good weather, ocean and beach". That is it really- the food on Samui is nothing special, the taxis are scandalous both in their costs and their unwillingness to help tourists much less turn on a meter, and senseless development has made the island exactly what most people don't want. It is also no longer inexpensive, however, boxes above being checked, and in my opinion a less hectic destination still than Phuket, it can be worth a visit.

The Four Seasons is the best option if you want a hotel.

If you want to be closer to things, the best option is to rent a villa.

Six Senses is OK although I think it is overpriced for what you get.

The Library has an OK restaurant and that is it- no privacy, no concept of service, no swimming pool really (far more design oriented pool than anything else)- I wouldn't stay there- it is as if it has been designed entirely for a few "cool" photos to put on Facebook.

The restaurant at Zazen which somehow is very highly rated and somehow is called a boutique hotel is possibly the worst "fine dining" experience I have ever had in Thailand or Southeast Asia as a whole. They also insist on keeping the entire area pitch dark which they call Romantic and I suspect really is just so you cannot see the number of mosquitoes.

Four Seasons is definitely the option on Samui- and don't plan to leave too often as there is not much to see other than some tourist ripoffs and the completely destroyed Chwaeng beach- ruined by development with an often flooded road system- and don't think too much about the flood. The golf course by the way is pretty good actually although it could be kept in better condition and the caddy openly admits to never having played golf.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
What about Angthong Marine Park? It looks beautiful. We were thinking of chartering a boat one day...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.