Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
From the suggested options I'd go:

1. Lanesborough
2. Beaumont
3. Forget all the rest
United747 and MacMyDay like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Thanks everyone! Think we are going to go for the Beaumont as we like to have a joint steam x
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
What about the Ham Yard?
Any thoughts on Ham Yard vs Covent Garden vs Beaumont? Have stayed at the Covent Garden and really liked it. Not much of a lobby but enjoyed the restaurant downstairs for breakfast and tea and the location is great. Am debating if I should try out the Ham Yard or Beaumont for an upcoming trip
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:30 pm

I am unsure of Covent Garden, but Ham Yard and The Beaumont are very different propositions. Ham Yard is a bit of a contradiction, in that the rooms are so beautiful and tranquil, yet the main hotel is unbelievably hectic and overcrowded. I do wonder who they are aiming at - probably hipsters. I think it will depend what you want in a hotel, but even as a non-drinker, I love the main hotel bar, and in Ham Yard you will be struggling to get a table. I see Ham Yard as somewhere perfect for either business trips, or where you just want to enjoy the room. As for the location, it is near Cafe Royal, and therefore it too sucks. I would pick The Beaumont.
HKTraveler and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:45 am

As part of my escapades into staying in all 22 AMEX FHR properties in London, I am now down to scraping the barrel. And it has shown, with numero 3 left on my list, The Baglioni. We stayed for 1 night and left yesterday. The problem is, we booked 2 nights, and I am now typing this from The Connaught instead. From the spa, naturally, because life stresses can be bothersome.

The hotel did not do anything that would warrant walking, but I simply had to ask myself what extra I would receive from staying here for 2 nights that I had not already learnt from 1? The hotel was not going to mysteriously change overnight. As mentioned above, I enjoy using the hotel facilities, notably the bar. When it comes to properties like The Lanesborough, Connaught, Goring and others that my memory cannot stretch back to remember, they are warm, cosy, relaxing and offer a brilliant environment. The Baglioni's combined bar/restaurant had the atmosphere of the funeral of a beloved dictator. On a Friday night there were more staff than guests present. With only one bar/restaurant and 3 treatment rooms, this was the only part of the hotel you could spend anytime. Unfortunately, we did spend time there, as the food was also hugely overpriced for what you received, with my girlfriend sending back a dish and my beef carpaccio being tough and tasteless.

As for the room, I quite liked it, with the beautiful bathroom and Italian inspired design. Where it felt cheap was the requirement for a key card to turn the electricity on, their criminal use of a plastic lid to cover the fruit, and their strange minibar policy of including it, but then having price lists, and then asking us if we took anything from it on departure. All small points. Most annoying was the positioning of the TV, like it was created to torture you and they thought that you would have enough to do that you would never watch TV. The biggest issue was the curtains, which housekeeping did not close properly and street lights came on in the night and woke us up. We then tried to close them and could not. They did not seem to grasp the difficulty this presented to us and we woke up looking like Mike Tyson had assaulted us.

When I booked The Baglioni, my expectations were that it would compete with The Goring: both similar sized properties, both heavily design focused on national heritage (Italian or English), both in worse locations than many better known hotels, both family owned and both offering excellent service. Yet it was the service that was leagues apart between the two, with The Goring showing a true sense of hospitality and The Baglioni just muddling its way through life. If you do not have the hotel facilities, then you must compete on service.

The Baglioni is one of the weakest properties in the London FHR portfolio, but it is likely one of their cheapest. If you desperately want to be near the museums and are on a budget, maybe it will work for you. I just feel there must be better properties that would fit that criteria. Even though it is not competing against them, for comparison, The Baglioni 58sqm was £850/m, compared to The Connaught selling a 33sqm room for £690/n the same night. Were I not in London I would probably have just put up with it, but having been to London almost every week since I was 18, I have no interest in this area and I know that within one phone call and a 15 minute drive, I can be somewhere much better.

I am interested in what will happen with properties like The Baglioni with FHR. With yet another Mandarin, another Rosewood, a new Peninsula, Belmond and Waldorf Astoria (don't laugh!) opening in the next 3 years, there will soon be 27 London properties in the Fine Hotels and Resorts program. It sure feels like the Fine element of it may start to be negated.

Last edited by MacMyDay; Jan 14, 2018 at 3:10 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:59 am

I spent the weekend at the Landmark and whilst it is similar to how it was when I last stayed (almost 4 years ago), one thing that has changed is the addition of a spa and gym. This addition is very impressive and a little bit of a game changer for the hotel from my perspective. I went to use it at about 5pm on Saturday, and at that time there was only one other guest in the pool, with no one in the jacuzzi or sauna. The water temperature was good (not cold as some hotels opt for) and the jacuzzi excellent. The sauna is mixed sex, whilst there are steam rooms in the changing rooms that are single-sex use. The gym is solid, but the pool and spa really are top-notch and well worth using.

Elsewhere the afternoon tea now allows you to select two types of jam for your scones, and though there is a pianist and the winter gardens are pleasant, this wouldn't make a list of the top 10 afternoon teas in London (though the Landmark blend of tea with vanilla is exceptional). The restaurant two twenty two uses Aubrey Allen meats for their steaks which I am a big fan of (should you ever find yourself near Leamington Spa, I strongly recommend visiting either it's shop to purchase meat, or Aubrey Allez for takeaway food using their meat). One negative that I found is that room service charges £5 per person dining. On top of this the prices for room service aren't the same as the restaurant, so you are paying twice for the privilege of eating in your room. We ordered two mains and the bill was £64 (including service charge), then saw the same items in the restaurant would have been under £43 (again including service charge). I would prefer it if they charged you a delivery charge to dine in your room, or used higher prices, doing both seems misleading and unfair.

We arrived via train at Marylebone station and when you arrive the Landmark is the building across the road. As we had a pram and luggage, being able to drop things off immediately and not fight the tube, or look for stations with step-free access was a relief, and so for us for the coming year I expect that the Landmark will be our hotel of choice. For others who are flying in this benefit is negated, also it doesn't have the same grandeur as some of the other hotels in London, and it's location isn't as convenient for tourists (unless one plans to visit Lords, Regents Park, London Zoo or Baker Street). However with it's large rooms, good service and exceptional spa it could be a good option.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
As part of my escapades into staying in all 22 AMEX FHR properties in London, I am now down to scraping the barrel. And it has shown, with numero 3 left on my list, The Baglioni. We stayed for 1 night and left yesterday. The problem is, we booked 2 nights, and I am now typing this from The Connaught instead. From the spa, naturally, because life stresses can be bothersome.

The Baglioni is one of the weakest properties in the London FHR portfolio, but it is likely one of their cheapest. If you desperately want to be near the museums and are on a budget, maybe it will work for you. I just feel there must be better properties that would fit that criteria. Even though it is not competing against them, for comparison, The Baglioni 58sqm was £850/m, compared to The Connaught selling a 33sqm room for £690/n the same night. Were I not in London I would probably have just put up with it, but having been to London almost every week since I was 18, I have no interest in this area and I know that within one phone call and a 15 minute drive, I can be somewhere much better.

I am interested in what will happen with properties like The Baglioni with FHR. With yet another Mandarin, another Rosewood, a new Peninsula, Belmond and Waldorf Astoria (don't laugh!) opening in the next 3 years, there will soon be 27 London properties in the Fine Hotels and Resorts program. It sure feels like the Fine element of it may start to be negated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57691433614214
Beef carpaccio being hard says enough.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
...The biggest issue was the curtains, which housekeeping did not close properly and street lights came on in the night and woke us up. We then tried to close them and could not. They did not seem to grasp the difficulty this presented to us and we woke up looking like Mike Tyson had assaulted us....
This is a bit off-topic but you have just hit upon the subject of my favorite hotel tip. You know those hangers always in the closet with the two clips for (I guess) hanging skirts? One or at most two of them make an excellent device for keeping room curtains closed. Of course this shouldn't be necessary in a luxury or even upscale hotel, but it turns out to be needed far more often than it should be.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is a bit off-topic but you have just hit upon the subject of my favorite hotel tip. You know those hangers always in the closet with the two clips for (I guess) hanging skirts? One or at most two of them make an excellent device for keeping room curtains closed. Of course this shouldn't be necessary in a luxury or even upscale hotel, but it turns out to be needed far more often than it should be.
1000+ hotel nights and I have never thought of this. Thanks!!
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
1000+ hotel nights and I have never thought of this. Thanks!!
Never thought of this either, but it's indeed brilliant (assuming my wife doesn't consume all the hangers!). And yes, it is required far to often...

Regards
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
What is the consensus here on Firmdale hotels in London? They seems kind of boutique style and rates are attractive but are they consider luxury?
I am actually interested to try the Convent Garden.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Personally I love the Firmdale hotels, beautiful boutique hotels and individually designed by the owner Kit Kemp.

They are most definitely luxury and a good antidote to some of the stuffier luxury hotels in London.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Definitely. The designers usually never sleep in their own rooms and sometimes curtains/blackouts are just for aesthetic purposes!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
What is the consensus here on Firmdale hotels in London? They seems kind of boutique style and rates are attractive but are they consider luxury?
I am actually interested to try the Convent Garden.
Stayed in Covent Garden Hotel and loved it. Didn't use much of the concierge or front desk service but loved the rooms, location and the breakfast downstairs. Would have no problem heading back for another stay. I would consider it a luxury hotel but are there specific aspects that you are concerned about? It doesn't have a large lobby or bar area. But I really enjoyed my breakfast in the restaurant and also afternoon tea there.

I will be in London in a few weeks and have decided to give the Beaumont a try since that seems to be better for solo travel
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Stayed in Covent Garden Hotel and loved it. Didn't use much of the concierge or front desk service but loved the rooms, location and the breakfast downstairs. Would have no problem heading back for another stay. I would consider it a luxury hotel but are there specific aspects that you are concerned about? It doesn't have a large lobby or bar area. But I really enjoyed my breakfast in the restaurant and also afternoon tea there.

I will be in London in a few weeks and have decided to give the Beaumont a try since that seems to be better for solo travel
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to prefer larger hotels though I also like to stay at good boutique hotels. Room size and amenities will be what I usually look for follow closely by F&B and service. And in London, I prefer to stay at some place more traditional, ie. "British".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.