Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury (Nice) Hotels in Remote Locations (US)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury (Nice) Hotels in Remote Locations (US)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:24 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I found a blurb on the Blair Hill website that pets are not allowed. Fairly typical....only the owners dirty dogs are allowed. While mine would have had a bath the day before travel. harsh....sorry.

Looking at some of the activities, Daisy might not appreciate it anyway. Stargazing in a canoe at night? It might be more romantic to trade a busy beagle for a bottle of champage.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:06 pm

A number of places already mentioned are fantastic, but let me suggest one or two more:

Inn at Little Washington (one of my favorite restaurants in America)

Amangani (simply superb)

Triple Creek Ranch, Montana

Inn at Langley, Whidbey Island, Washington
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:15 pm
In memoriam

Although not in the US - there are places around Canada (including Vancouver Island - e.g., Sooke Harbour House - haven't stayed there).

I've stayed at The Point - but decades ago when it was a lot cheaper and still owned by the original owners. I'd get more recent reviews than mine.

We have a lot of places in the Big Bend and the Panhandle areas of Florida. Doubt any will be 4 star or better (some condo rentals might be 4 star). Robyn
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
Originally Posted by Blackbook

Inn at Langley, Whidbey Island, Washington
stayed there about 15 years ago. We have great memories, especially of the couple running the place then. He was the chef...dinner was for about 16, prepared right in front of us in the open kitchen.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
I know there are the groups "Leading Hotels of the World" and "Preferred Hotels", along with R&C. What we need is a "Small Leading Hotels of the World in Out-of-the-Way Locations" (sometimes locations no one would think of putting a hotel and no one would think of making a trip). I guess that's what we are collecting on this thread.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This isn't really in the geographic area that the OP mentioned, and yet it's one I wonder about. Catalina Island is off the shore of southern California. It's charmingly frozen in the 1950s-60s. While there are some cars on the island, visitors can't rent them. Thus, you either walk or rent a golf cart. Hotels on the whole are also frozen in the 50s. There is one exception: the former home of Mr. and Mrs. Wrigley of chewing gum fame. He did a lot to preserve Catalina Island. He owned a stake in the Chicago Cubs and brought them to the island for spring training in the 1930s. He has a 16,000 sq ft home built as a winter home.

After the death of both Wrigleys, the home went thru various incarnations, eventually becoming a B&B called The Inn on Mount Ida.. We stayed in the Wrigley suite for our 25th wedding anniversary. There are only six rooms. When we stayed, every room was assigned its own golf cart to go into town. We rented a plane to fly over from our local airport, as we didn't want to bother driving to Long Beach and going by ferry. It had closed sometime thereafter, but I recently spotted that it is again a B&B. I've no idea of the current condition or service attitude, but it was quite special when we were there.
That sounds great - I haven't been to Catalina but I must try to get there for a couple of days when we next go to California. May not hire a private plane though.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Canoe Bay in Chetek, Wisconsin, in the middle of nowhere about 2 hours
from MSP:

http://www.canoebay.com
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:09 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by wintersummer
I know there are the groups "Leading Hotels of the World" and "Preferred Hotels", along with R&C. What we need is a "Small Leading Hotels of the World in Out-of-the-Way Locations" (sometimes locations no one would think of putting a hotel and no one would think of making a trip). I guess that's what we are collecting on this thread.
http://www.slh.com/

Some in remote locations - some not. Robyn
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Brewery Gulch Inn - Mendocino, CA

http://www.luxurylink.com/fivestar/i...id=30164&len=3
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by sabieboy
Canoe Bay in Chetek, Wisconsin, in the middle of nowhere about 2 hours
from MSP:

http://www.canoebay.com
I would 2nd Canoe bay! In the middle of nowhere.

Also Riverbend mansion in kohler. More exclusive than the American club
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm, nonmembers (country club style) can stay once at riverbend. is that new? might have to get out there.. i see corporate/business members can have unaccompanied guests as well.

back to OP, i get impression they want middle of nowhere, with no one around

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hmm, nonmembers (country club style) can stay once at riverbend. is that new? might have to get out there.. i see business members can have unaccompanied guests as well.
Not sure if that is new honestly. I can say its a great property from the limited times i had the chance to stay. I was an unaccompanied guest. Unique expeirence. Im sure they would love to have you for a visit Kage!

Next time i go i will try to do a trip report with pics.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by wintersummer
We're not horse riders, but would love a ranch type place.
Sorry to say, but this is oxymoronic.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Sorry to say, but this is oxymoronic.
Why? There are plenty of other things to do at a ranch. No prior riding experience is necessary to go on trail rides, and instruction is always available. Most guests are not accomplished riders.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Why? There are plenty of other things to do at a ranch. No prior riding experience is necessary to go on trail rides, and instruction is always available. Most guests are not accomplished riders.
Religious discussion here.

If it's a ranch, it's primarily about riding. If it's a resort, spa, etc. with riding activities, it's not a ranch even if it's got the world "ranch" in the name.

Just like a club. A club is something which is owned and governed by it's members. Calling something a club does not make it a club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.