Wiki Posts
Search

What's your pick in Kuala Lumpur?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
I am staying there in January and am monitoring the prices
Mandarin O and Grand Hyatt are around $200 USD a night which is expensive by KUL terms
The Westin can be had for $45 and 2800 SPG points
The Westin are way below MO in term of services and everything.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Quick Report--Shangri-La KL

Finishing first visit to KL and booked at the Shangri-La last minute. GC membership resulted in 3 for 2 deal on a lovely and large 1 bdrm suite w Horizon Club privileges. Eff rate, tax inclusive is about US$300/nt. Sadly, that deal expires in a couple nights.

Regardless, the quality of the accommodation is first-rate. Bright room, comfortable bed, large bathroom with excellent water pressure and temp control in shower, fixtures and furnishings in excellent condition. Staff couldn't be more accommodating (with one minor special request exception). Regular housekeeping service plus turndown plus additional refreshment as needed. Laundry service quick and as promised. Tech functionality is more than sufficient, including fast wireless and a plug panel that seems to have one of everything (except a dedicated 110v outlet, but no big deal). Nespresso machine and hot water boiler en suite.

Horizon Club room on second floor is spacious, luxurious and amazingly well provisioned during daytime hours. I didn't partake in the food, but expect one could take all meals there if desired. Open until 11:30pm for coffee, tea and soft drinks after regular service ends around 7:30pm.

The overall quality reminds me of the Bangkok Pen of around 6-8 years ago. Room equivalent to the Grand Deluxe suite, though without the spectacular view. On this trip, the space compares favorably to the HK MO and is definitely nicer than the suite/experience I had at the MO Singapore (which felt like a convention hotel not a luxury retreat).

Not sure when I'm likely to return to KL (want to go to Penang if back in Malaysia), but if I were going any time soon at least, this is the place I would stay without hesitation.

--mcz
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Cascade Restaurant, Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [ REVIEW : PHOTOS ]

November 2013 for Lunch

Before we arrived even in Malaysia we made a reservation at the Cascade Restaurant & Bar at the Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur. The first contact made a good impression.

The Cascade Restaurant was located on the Spa/Pool level and easily accessible via elevator from the lobby.

The Mandarin Oriental has changed a bit since our last visit, where we went to the Lounge on the Park.

The Cascade was easy to find. It is outdoors and offers views over the stunning pool over the KLCC Park, the Grand Hyatt, where we stayed (see review) and the city.

The staff was welcoming and let us choose our table.

It wasn't busy.

We had watermelon juice, Arabic Kebab and Spaghetti Aglio e Olio, sticky rice with mango and Segafreddo Affogato. All was delicious, light and healthy.

The kebab, spaghetti and the sticky rice were MO signature dishes.

The spaghetti were definitely differently than the one we had in South Korea. There were different vegetables added like courgette and peppers.

The sticky rice was also unusual, because it was deconstructed.

We also chatted a bit with Mohammed, the restaurant manager.

We had a very pleasant time and the price was average for the type of hotel restaurant. The quality was high and the staff was attentive, so we would return again.

Would we return for lunch at this restaurant again? YES! ^
Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES! ^

Here are some of the photos we took from our lunch visit at the Cascade Restaurant, located on the Spa / pool level in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, November 2013:

|| Our lunch @ the Cascade Restaurant || Mandarin Oriental Hotel || Kuala Lumpur || Malaysia || November 2013 || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr
|| Our lunch @ the Cascade Restaurant || Mandarin Oriental Hotel || Kuala Lumpur || Malaysia || November 2013 || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr
|| THE MANDARIN ORIENTAL HOTEL || KUALA LUMPUR || MALAYSIA || November 2013 || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

More of our images we took can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/uggboy...7644672897824/

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:36 pm

hi..

I could opinion on both the M.O. and Shangri-La. Both are really awesome qualities
I have not remained at either but I have gotten spa therapies at the Ritz and went to cafes at both the Ritz and The MO. Overall I would provide a large advantage to the MO for support and place.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:57 am

Worth considering The Majestic as well.

The hard product is IMHO better than anything in KL. In fact the design and quality of the room fitout is better than almost anything I've seen in SE Asia.

F&B, the pool and the location let it down a little, but I still feel happier there than at the SL.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:01 am

We are trying to decide between the MO and SL at the moment. The SL is ahead due to the great reviews of the club room area and the suites look lovely. I can't find many photos of the suites at MO.
Has anyone been lately?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
Originally Posted by carls888
We are trying to decide between the MO and SL at the moment. The SL is ahead due to the great reviews of the club room area and the suites look lovely. I can't find many photos of the suites at MO.
Has anyone been lately?
Ya. We stayed at Shangrila KL & given club lounge access. Had great experience at club lounge - Had breakfast & evening cocktails, although In evenings, it tends to get crowded . We enjoyed our stay at SL.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:14 pm

Thanks raji, we travel with our young children too so the MO pool is tugging at my senses versus the SL pool.
C
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:19 pm

I'll be at the MO in a few weeks and can report back if it'll be of use to you.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's been a while since I've been to the MO, but I highly recommend a club room, or one level below club and get an FHR upgrade (automatic with Centurion, maybe with Platinum). The club is quite large with many rooms, a full pool table, and like all MO clubs a nice library.

The Exec suites are quite large and I think all are corner suites so you have great views.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Reviving this thread . . . . I just booked at the M.O. but found out that the pool and health club is closed for renovation until June. Now considering the Shangri-La. Not there for business, strictly leisure. Any comments on the Shangri-la's pool and overall ambiance compared to the M.O.? I really liked the M.O. the two times that I have been here. Unless the Shang is way better, I might just keep my M.O. reservation.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
MO's pool is still better in terms of layout. Probably some of Asia's first infinity pool when it opened in the 90s. Shang is an older building and its pool is surrounded by tall office buildings but Shang's rooms and lobby had
undergone refurbishment and are more updated and the lobby fresher. MO is always a bit dark and of course now they're refreshing their rooms and public areas which is long overdue. Except for the pool, Shang wins, its gym is one of the nicest I've seen in KL and its restaurants are well regarded.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:32 am

+1 for the MO - great pool with helpful staff moving umbrellas (and there's plenty of them).

It may be in need of a make-over but it's a great hotel to stay at.

KLCC right next door and a short walk - mostly under cover - to The Pavillion Shopping Centre where there's also plenty of eating opportunities.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Thanks so much everyone. I think that we'll keep the MO reservation. As an FYI, the MO will shuttle anyone who wants to swim over to the Impiana hotel. We'll be there only a few days so we'll make do with this.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Any recent views on SL versus MO ?
Dollar seems to stretch further at SL.

The rooms I am comparing is this at the MO
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/kual...mandarin-room/

Against this at the SL
http://www.shangri-la.com/kualalumpu...ecutive-suite/

Both seem to be suites but the SL option has club access. The MO option that I linked does not, and to get club access for the same or lesser money I have to go to a smaller room category a level down.

Thoughts ?

Budget around US$400 a night which should be enough for something pretty solid at either hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.