FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   What's your pick in Kuala Lumpur? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1314046-whats-your-pick-kuala-lumpur.html)

GetSetJetSet Feb 14, 2012 6:01 am

What's your pick in Kuala Lumpur?

Ritz? Mandarin? Somewhere else? For 3 nights (2 and then back for 1) would you pick one place for all three, break it up and go 2 and 1? Thanks.

TRAVELSIG Feb 14, 2012 6:09 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 18012249)
Ritz? Mandarin? Somewhere else? For 3 nights (2 and then back for 1) would you pick one place for all three, break it up and go 2 and 1? Thanks.

Where do you need/want to be in KL?

Particularly when I have one night stays, I choose the (not luxury however quite nice) Hilton on the executive level. The reason is that it is in the same complex as the KLIA express to the airport so very convenient for quick meetings and then in/out to the airport (29 minutes by express train vs. >1 hour in a car).

Longer stays- I actually like the Shangri-La Horizion Club, and also the Club Level at the Imperial (which is a Sheraton Luxury Collection). The Sheraton is an older hotel however very good upkeep and great service at the Club. The last time I stayed at the MO it was in need of a rennovation- if it got it then it may be a good choice- the Shangri-La has been recently rennovated at the Horizon Club levels and has very good service- suites are also excellent value here.

NoMiddleSeat Feb 14, 2012 6:11 am

I could comment on both the M.O. and Shangri-La. Both are really nice properties but I'd give a slight edge to the Shangri-La in terms of staff.

GetSetJetSet Feb 14, 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 18012278)
Where do you need/want to be in KL?

I'm not sure. First visit to KL. Primarily want to be close to restaurants and nightlife.

beta1607 Feb 14, 2012 8:33 am

I haven't stayed at either but I have gotten spa treatments at the Ritz and went to bars at both the Ritz and The MO. Overall I would give a huge edge to the MO for service and location. The MO also has a much more refined feel.

One example of many service failures I saw at the Ritz was a gentleman struggling at the pool to set up his umbrella for several minutes with no staff to be found to assist and set it up for him, ultimately I went over and helped. I have never seen staff as disinterested at a luxury hotel as I did at the Ritz.

paul2 Feb 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 18012535)
I'm not sure. First visit to KL. Primarily want to be close to restaurants and nightlife.

The MO is at the Petronas which is at least 15 minutes from central KL (Bukit Bintang etc) so it is not really central. The Ritz Carlton is a short walk to the central area and would be my choice. In my experience, there are no amazing hotels in KL. However, KL is a city with different centres, Little India, Chinatown... I think you might prefer the RC.

Kettering Northants QC Feb 15, 2012 6:06 am

I like the Shangri La, particularly at Club Level. The Club suites (particularly those with the curved windows) were very nice on my last stay. Although regularly modernised over the years, The Shangri-La is an older hotel than the Sheraton Imperial -I think that was only built about 15 years ago, whereas the Shangri La I think dates back the 80s.

My Mother and Father last time in KL stayed at The Ritz Carlton, they enjoyed it but said it was very much a boutique hotel with a residential feel. Like me, they prefer a hotel that's a bit more lively. If out in KL again they've said they'd probably go to the MO, as they've always enjoyed eating there.

Like others have said, KL is a little spread out with various centres, but they are easily reached by reliable and cheap taxis.

I don't think KL is a high yield city for a lot of Hotel operators and therefore the hotels tend to be just a notch down from other places such as Hong Kong - I don't think you'll find many operators claiming their KL outlets as their flagship operations.

TRAVELSIG Feb 15, 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC (Post 18018834)
I like the Shangri La, particularly at Club Level. The Club suites (particularly those with the curved windows) were very nice on my last stay.

+1: I really like these suites, and they are usually very good value.

FlyerEC Feb 15, 2012 7:06 am

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 18015563)
The MO is at the Petronas which is at least 15 minutes from central KL (Bukit Bintang etc) so it is not really central. The Ritz Carlton is a short walk to the central area and would be my choice. In my experience, there are no amazing hotels in KL. However, KL is a city with different centres, Little India, Chinatown... I think you might prefer the RC.

Without the jams :( , less than 5 mins to BB which btw is not ' central '. It's a different layout in KL as you & some posters have indicated.
If at MOKL , I opt for the park view rooms & if you like, club floors.
KLCC where MOKL is, has been refurbished & has new shops/wing plus you may even catch a concert - ask the concierge.
You won't get wet if it rains unlike in BB where the shelter isn't that good yet between buildings.. It's better than few years back though.
The BB area has a few hotels to choose from but it's KL so do not expect HK or S'pore standards even if same group.

RA-wannabe Feb 15, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 18019876)
I don't understand where people get all their money from on this forum.

If you are all millionnaires then you wouldn't be wasting time on forums on the net, you'd probably get your butler to do it for you.

I've just booked 3 nights in KL - at the Furama Bukit Bintang. My budget wouldn't stretch to anything more expensive, not even Traders. :(

Guess I'm in the wrong job. :td:

You don't have to be a millionaire to stay at the hotels mentioned here. I can't speak for the others here, but I can afford to stay in a pretty decent hotel but prefer to get the views of fellow members here so that I do not waste my money on lousy hotels. Precisely because I am not rich, that's why sourcing for reviews/views from forums are extremely important for me.

Kettering Northants QC Feb 15, 2012 12:01 pm

If you are all millionnaires then you wouldn't be wasting time on forums on the net, you'd probably get your butler to do it for you.

I've just booked 3 nights in KL - at the Furama Bukit Bintang. My budget wouldn't stretch to anything more expensive, not even Traders. :(

Possibly, but you just need to know where to get bargains. I've yet to find anywhere that you can't get a decent five star-luxury hotel with a bit of research that ends up being cheaper than many people will pay for a run of the mill 3-4 star hotel when they don't do the research and just accept what they're told by someone with a vested interest.

When I say research, gradually after a bit of practice you know where to look and when the bargains are to be had.

We've had some cracking deals in Asia over the years. Some of the best I recall in the last 10 years
Kowloon shangri la harbour view room in Hong Kong with club access £90 with 4th night free
Peninsula in Bangkok with breakfast £90 a night
Kl shangri la std room, booked for £60 a night and upgrade to a horizon club suite for £50 a night (was during the SARS crisis)
Kl Ritz Carlton (parents) at weekend £50 inc club access
Ten nights at the Phuket yacht club for £600

In the uk you certainly don't need to be a millionaire to afford these hotels as these rates.

GetSetJetSet Feb 16, 2012 2:49 am

This IS the luxury hotel forum...what other sorts of properties would we be discussing?

camsean Feb 18, 2012 8:34 am

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 18015563)

20-30 minutes on foot, but it's not like there isn't stuff near KLCC.

tycosiao Feb 18, 2012 10:04 am

When the SL @ KL comes to mind,

I remember the fantastic breakfast in the main restaurant.

nba1017 Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg (Post 18090106)
I felt the same way in your thread about the solo trip. That's why I deleted my reply because your type of travel is way out of my league. Spending £40 on a room to stay would be a big splurge for me.

As a young single tourist in Asia, I think staying in a luxury hotel is kind of silly. It's too sanitized. Besides as a tourist you should be out exploring the city and enjoying the sites, food and experience. The hotel room is just for sleeping, showering and defecating.

FlyerTalk contains many business travelers that are older than me. Many people here are flying while their company is footing the bill. They require comfort because it is exhausting to travel as much as they do. It's a good place to gain knowledge, but many times it is hard to relate with some of the posters. I only fly for personal travel, and I always fly coach to save money.

Please note that I used the word "many" and I didn't say "all" or "everybody".

You make a fair point, but why are you posting it in the Luxury Hotels forum?

This is a place solely devoted to the intricacies of high-end travel--the merits of spending $X on a hotel isn't really its purpose.