Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:03 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Finolhu in the Maldives recently paid for Cara and Poppy Delevingne and 160 of their friends, including a couple of friends of mine, to spend a week at the resort. In return they were asked to post photos on Instagram. Apparently it was a completely debauched week with non stop parties and no sleep. Interestingly the editor of Conde Nast Traveller in the UK, who happens to be Cara and Poppy's aunt, was also there. Unbiased journalism!?
That's one thing I never understood, and it's part of the reason why idyllic places like Bali/Phuket are being (or already are) ruined.

All night long parties in Vegas? Sure.

Why the hell would you go to a culturally interesting and scenic place such as Bali and just do what you do in Vegas anyway? Bizarre logic.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Finolhu in the Maldives recently paid for Cara and Poppy Delevingne and 160 of their friends, including a couple of friends of mine, to spend a week at the resort. In return they were asked to post photos on Instagram. Apparently it was a completely debauched week with non stop parties and no sleep. Interestingly the editor of Conde Nast Traveller in the UK, who happens to be Cara and Poppy's aunt, was also there. Unbiased journalism!?
Well then let me cross Finolhu off my list as I would never want to be at a resort with those people. Sort of like that "Real Housewives of Atlanta" person and her family that made it very unpleasant for guests at Amanyara.

These type of "influencer" campaigns send me running away from the property. Then again, I guess I am not the target market and my Milennial son is.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Wow. I always assumed that hotels comped the odd stay for bloggers, "celebrities" and "influencers", especially when the real cost was quite low (e.g. during off-season).

But paying for 160 people to party at their resort? That's some major $$$$$$ in terms of actual costs and lost revenue.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by scented
But at least this guy conveys a certain 'lifestyle' that the targeted clientele of the resort could relate to... much better than video games and YouTube 'fun' content. Although I agree generally.

This influencer and imagery is the 2017 version of the O&O ads we saw a couple years ago, in which couples enjoyed the beach in dim lighting.
Not to sound snarky, but are enough of the followers of his, or a lot of these "influeners" on social media, have the financials to afford these resorts (on top of the airfare, ect.)? You're not only to go to the Maldives just for one or two nights, are you? We're not talking about the standard Nike sneakers or headphones.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:55 am

I suppose it's in order to create a market for the future. Something for his followers to add to their "bucket list" (really hate this term... especially as I now encounter people who use it as a verb "bucket listed, to bucket list, will bucket list") for when they can afford it.

On the opposite end, people who have just made it but after years of striving might want to picture themselves as young and fit like this guy. He's aspirational for both sides of the spectrum. That's why they think it's a good idea.

Sophisticated connoisseurs such as those who frequent this forum will no doubt see through it.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by scented
vuittonsofstyle started this thread back in 2011 with many high-end groups losing the sight of reality at the time...

Sadly I believe that this is very much true today, even more than before. The icing on the cake lately is, for me at least, a high-end hospitality group comping a stay of a so-called 'influencer' at one of their Maldivian resorts for (positive) coverage. This may not seem strange in itself, however when you take into account that his person is a YouTuber, focused on video games and the sorts with a target audience of 14-19 year olds, it becomes laughable.

I understand influencers are the new bloggers, who are the new editors, who are the new critics (and so on...), but never have I seen anything as misplaced. Other than the number of followers, have they ever thought about who they aim to attract? I don't believe a 14 year old with interests in video games and a disposable income of 100-something $ per month will book a stay at a Maldives luxury resort anytime soon. I am happy to see that person enjoyed his stay on the island, however looking at the pictures I don't see how this all seems to work.

Influencers do make sense, at least when their profession is 'modeling' and the likes... but this is certainly a new low and not a strategic fit.
Just a thought: could it be that such bloggers influence your and mine children, as far as one could expect children to influence their parents choice when it comes to a holiday destination and resort?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by Epicura
Just a thought: could it be that such bloggers influence your and mine children, as far as one could expect children to influence their parents choice when it comes to a holiday destination and resort?
I thought the age demographic for gaming was increasing
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
Well then let me cross Finolhu off my list as I would never want to be at a resort with those people. Sort of like that "Real Housewives of Atlanta" person and her family that made it very unpleasant for guests at Amanyara.

These type of "influencer" campaigns send me running away from the property. Then again, I guess I am not the target market and my Milennial son is.
Totally agree, it would put me off too.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finolhu only has 125 rooms, so exclusive to those 162+ guests
note Finolhu website and comments from ridefar, its like W
owners can do whatever they want, costs are not published prices

going back to the post which bumped this thread - there is a difference between paying guests taking photos and nonpaying guests, on top of it being the job of these nonpaying guests to take these photos, presumably properties want as many photos as possible, again the balance is between all guests but clearly especially paying and top agents. (besides agents, in publishing there are rarely testimonials along the lines of those received by Elite Traveler and likely Gallivanters Guide. as Andrew Harper and several others became agencies.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 21, 2017 at 4:11 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Finolhu only has 125 rooms, so exclusive to those 162+ guests
note Finolhu website and comments from ridefar, its like W
owners can do whatever they want, costs are not published prices

going back to the post which bumped this thread - there is a difference between paying guests taking photos and nonpaying guests, on top of it being the job of these nonpaying guests to take these photos, presumably properties want as many photos as possible, again the balance is between all guests but clearly especially paying and top agents. (besides agents, in publishing there are rarely testimonials along the lines of those received by Elite Traveler and likely Gallivanters Guide. as Andrew Harper and several others became agencies.)
From what I understand, Finolhu has a concept is sticking to it. From the description I got from before they opened, they had a certain objective. Granted, that might not be a hotel that many people here would want to stay at (myself included) but should people that like to party not have access to a luxurious hotel and setting?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed new properties with certain concepts are less problematic vs actual changes that are not communicated (and to a lesser extent [so far?] the questionable marketing) at existing FS/etc

just posted in another thread >

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
there aren't any other restaurants nearby, was the two out of four nights they rented their signature restaurant out for events and relegated hotel guests to a table in the bar with a limited menu.
re service and re marketing (1 - marketed offering not available because 2 - marketed to events)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2017 at 11:10 am
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:27 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I suppose I'm the trashiest person on this forum, but I really enjoy getting together with loads of friends on a very, very regular basis and acting irresponsibly, drinking too much and listening to loud music.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:44 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by DSI
I suppose I'm the trashiest person on this forum, but I really enjoy getting together with loads of friends on a very, very regular basis and acting irresponsibly, drinking too much and listening to loud music.
I think I see why you prefer private villas now
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:22 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Sad, but true. Lm225 can hopefully chime in--he's seen how trashy I am in the flesh!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/06/instagram-influencers-are-driving-luxury-hotels-crazy/562679/
director of public relations and marketing at Ocean House Management, a resort management company that operates several boutique hotels in Rhode Island...take a close look at the influencer's follower count and aesthetic to make sure it's the right fit.
curious what FS chooses for "fit" if it does. have any others gone similarly instagram heavy?
for example in emails from FS >
The Most Instagrammable Desserts
Share your favourites using # FourSeasons
Your Most Instagrammable Day in Toronto
an example of a dramatic change after ramping up viral instagram marketing >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post28726405

will be interesting to see what happens, not sure what properties might do (vs ease of banning drones)

for the many instagram etc users here, where do you draw the line in how you see marketing?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 25, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.