Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hard product vs. soft product

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Hard product vs. soft product

There is an interesting discussion going on over in travelbuzz about the relative importance of hard product vs soft product and it got me thinking about hotels the same way.

Personally, I really only care about hard product and unless the soft product is bad I'm unlikely to notice. In fact, most times I'm happy if I never speak to someone else from the hotel after check in. I'd much rather have a huge room with a great view, a very plush bed, and high quality amenities. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this debate. Selfishly, I'd also love to know if there was a hotel that blew you away with hard product even if the soft product was less than stellar.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:51 am

If both physical plant (hard product) and service ("soft" product) are not up to standard, it's no luxury hotel in my eyes. However, exceptional service is an absolute prerequisite for an hotel to be considered a luxury hotel, no matter how nice the "hard product" may be.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:54 am

I'm the opposite, I value service over everything. Although many of the hotels and resorts discussed here manage to get both aspects right.

Also goes to show that so many guests have very diverse expectations, some require more attention, while others seek a hideaway and went to be left alone for the remainder of the stay. This sometimes happens in the Maldives. Resorts adapt very quickly. Amans are great at this.

The best hard product can feel very cold if the service is not there..
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
If both physical plant (hard product) and service ("soft" product) are not up to standard, it's no luxury hotel in my eyes. However, exceptional service is an absolute prerequisite for an hotel to be considered a luxury hotel, no matter how nice the "hard product" may be.
Over the years I agree, bad service makes me furious....
... but not as furious as a bad hard product. So great hard product with mediocre service is better than good service with good hard product in my eyes.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Over the years I agree, bad service makes me furious....
... but not as furious as a bad hard product. So great hard product with mediocre service is better than good service with good hard product in my eyes.
Good point.... for me I think it depends on the situation.

I can live with an average hard product if the service is exceptional at a city hotel. And I prefer that to the other way around. Example: Four Seasons Marunouchi.

At a resort, if the location is stunningly beautiful, and I am so happy to be away from it all, I can occasionally forgive bad service. Example: Rayavadee (Krabi, Thailand). I keep coming back because I love the unreal location and its charm, in spite of its service which is average at best. The service would be unforgivable in fact at that price point... if only the location weren't so wonderful!

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 21, 2017 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
For me it's a balance, hard product is key but what really makes a hotel shine for me is the service.

For instance, a few weeks ago I stayed at the Sofitel in Munich near the Central Station. Great location and hard product (the hotel has great bedding, TWG tea and high quality coffee in-room, and Hermes toiletries), but the service was non-existent! Check-in was robotic, there was often no concierge in sight, and no one ever said hello to me or made me feel welcome. I would not stay there again. Sadly, the Mandarin Oriental is over double the price!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Member

Yes, balance, not either/or. I need both in superlative quality.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:23 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Dgosche
Selfishly, I'd also love to know if there was a hotel that blew you away with hard product even if the soft product was less than stellar.
Never been, but from what I've heard, Amangiri.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Kinda +1. Rooms are unimpressive, but everything else is pretty amazing.

You can throw in Aman Tokyo too.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:49 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I don't consider location to be part of 'hard product'. Maybe others think differently?

Amangiri's strong point is the location. Resort itself (what I consider hard product) is OK (especially for US) but not amazing. Service is...OK.

So, for me there are actually three components here: hard product, soft product and location.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most times I'm happy if I never speak to someone else from the hotel
then why not rent huge more luxurious condo for less than luxury hotel?
aforementioned travelbuzz thread only asked re plane food/televisions

re amangiri, architecture can be separate from hard product, IMHO there too
re locations, some properties are about (private) beach (on private island)
some of us prefer properties that have nothing in common with big box hotels
some of us value what they offer a lot, as they can be fairly/completely unique

"soft product" includes how food/drinks work and quality (only option for remote)
there are limitless potential aspects of service offerings, use and value varies

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 21, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:21 pm
Banyan Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
IMHO, quality of the hard product and services rendered depends a lot on the location and the style and traditions of a certain destination coupled with expectations of certain hotels/resorts and how much they charge/we're prepared to pay for a memorable overnight or longer stay.

The price/value/delivery curve is also important incl. how the hard product/service as a soft product balance/or support each other.

Overall, it's personal, it depends a lot of expectations, inclusions/exclusions in hotel/resort and in which region we travel/stay and how we want to experience a certain destination incl. "staying in/put" or "going out/being active.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
then why not rent huge more luxurious condo for less than luxury hotel?
I've done this a few times and generally like it, though I've found the really nice places trend to be multiple bedrooms, which is a lot of wasted space for a couple of young DINKs. It does work well in places like sea island where we can get a few couples go with us.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
They are both equally important. Only when a hotel have both can it claim to be a true luxury hotel.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done this a few times and generally like it, though I've found the really nice places trend to be multiple bedrooms, which is a lot of wasted space for a couple of young DINKs. It does work well in places like sea island where we can get a few couples go with us.
if it costs less than hotel, i dont really understand why some say too big
personally i can enjoy sizable residential style living and dining space
factors for others include things like very large bathrooms and closets

ive booked hotel residences (one inexpensive) and had empty bedrooms
one had its own private tennis court in addition to pool, grill, garage, etc
swimming pools etc usually increase in size along with bedrooms

kiawah (hotel) beachfront with pool from ~$1K, less than many hotel rooms
(nearby) sea island would be less hard product and more overall, right?

sometimes its about what the hard product is, vs the quality of it
especially as some mentioned, like in US, vs less expensive asia
or conversely, getting into things like historical in EU (good/bad)
also preferences re hard product like style, detail, function, comfort
a common complaint here is combination showers, and no bathtub

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 21, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.