Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:51 pm

Two different things, I think, Kagehitokiri: if 4S are asking these questions on their own social media accounts, it's to start a conversation with their followers and get some engagement. Nothing wrong with that - the whole point of social media is to be social, after all. I'd see that as something different and separate from working with influencers and bloggers and the like, although of course, those who care deeply about their social media are likely also going to work with influencers.

Last edited by passionforhotels; Jul 25, 2018 at 10:59 pm Reason: more thoughts
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

previous discussion re FS working with people, also vibe discussion

dont recall reports of FS soliciting tripadvisor reviews, but others do

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 25, 2018 at 11:08 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
for the many instagram etc users here, where do you draw the line in how you see marketing?
I use Instagram to see recent and 'real' pictures of rooms / facilities (like pool, gym, etc.).
But I have no interest at all in pictures of desserts or meals or (even handsome & muscular) people selfies.
To me luxury means discretion, sometimes seclusion, and I don't like that a private place splashes so many pictures around. May be I'm already old fashioned but I find it kind of vulgar to see luxury hotels encouraging people to show off.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:44 am

theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/06/instagram-influencers-are-driving-luxury-hotels-crazy/562679/

curious what FS chooses for "fit" if it does. have any others gone similarly instagram heavy?
for example in emails from FS >

an example of a dramatic change after ramping up viral instagram marketing >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post28726405

will be interesting to see what happens, not sure what properties might do (vs ease of banning drones)

for the many instagram etc users here, where do you draw the line in how you see marketing?
Zero sympathy. The industry created the monster, now they deal with it.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:19 am
Aman Contributor Badge

dont recall reports of FS soliciting tripadvisor reviews, but others do
FS solicits reviews after bugging you for feedback via email. I usually do the former and not the latter, in hopes they actually listen and improve with feedback.

i admit, I laughed in a bit of horror when I saw the most instagramable thing in the FS newsletter
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Some hotels also try to do giveaways (rooms, F&B, dessert, etc) for more Instagram hashtags. No hotel wants to be in the hundreds or low thousands anymore.

It's very arbitrary and probably not a very fair or open selection process. The only time my partner won was when my buddy GM probably picked her on purpose.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:25 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Another thing is that lots of hotels are scamming via TripAdvisor, either by somehow manipulating the website to remove reviews (I guess they claim they are a TOS violation or even doctor evidence) or by paying guests to write reviews. Awasi, from what I know, is probably the biggest scammer in this respect but I have heard of other resorts.

When places don't have any negative reviews or all the reviews look phony, you're dealing with a shady company. Beware!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DSI
Another thing is that lots of hotels are scamming via TripAdvisor, either by somehow manipulating the website to remove reviews (I guess they claim they are a TOS violation or even doctor evidence) or by paying guests to write reviews. Awasi, from what I know, is probably the biggest scammer in this respect but I have heard of other resorts.

When places don't have any negative reviews or all the reviews look phony, you're dealing with a shady company. Beware!
Or, when somebody on FT continues to bring up and attack a property like Awasi without providing any evidence whatsoever. This creates the same perception of bias and dishonesty you complain about.

PapaNico likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 26, 2018 at 10:43 pm Reason: Deleted personal attack
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:26 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Your visit to the hotel has nothing to do with scammy marketing via TripAdvisor. It’s sinply a fact; you can choose to interpret facts however you’d like.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 26, 2018 at 10:44 pm Reason: Removed reference to deleted text in above post
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

awasi iguazu (soft?) opened publishing including private transport (as usual) but did not always include private transport at that time

terrible for FS to solicit tripadvisor reviews, but not surprising

tripadvisor will remove reviews as hotels are their clients

some independent properties have told industry people to not post social media

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 29, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:17 am

Is anyone else being bombarded with images from the Shangri-La Hotels "You deserve..." ad campaign? Talk about being too real and literal with aspirational marketing.
I thought the illusion was for their guests to pretend a luxury stay is normal, daily life. By highlighting it as a treat or reward, reality comes crashing down. I just find it diminishes the magic.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

definitely fits right in with everything else these days. makes me feel better about avoiding social media

'luxury hotel' marketing indeed. (though has marketing ever been reality..) i have come to understand why some make frequent trips to laucala, north, necker, safaris, as well as aman. because they are nothing/less like 'hotels' no matter how luxurious the hotel is.

has anyone had a luxury property / hotel provide service where staff thought 'outside the box' to deliver/resolve something?

good service rarely instagrams well. i thought this was well said >
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
The socialmedia hit has been a net negative imo. There are positives, to be sure. But the negatives have been the mass exportation of image over substance, and venerable properties steered to superficiality.
when hotels automatically ask every guest for tripadvisor review, it can end poorly. FS nevis allowed bookings and did not warn guests when (all?) common areas were closed for construction, leading to at least one interesting review. sounds like there were more that were removed. presume good recovery (not proactive) but neither stay (without recovery) nor review collection shouldve happened.

recently saw 'legal style' form re social media policy for a less 'hotel-like' luxury property

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 2, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

prnewswire.com/news-releases/2019-is-the-year-of-ultra-personalized-travel-according-to-the-virtuoso-luxe-report-300740334.html

Oct. 30, 2018

VirtuosoŽ Luxe Report

1. Motivation: Social media's influence is unmistakable, as it drives travelers' desire to find the most captivating backdrops and the best time of day for snapping images. Clients are requesting on-site photography sessions to create Instagram-worthy content, including replicating shots they admired online. Virtuoso advisors are arranging themed photoshoots characteristic of destinations, such as wearing traditional geisha attire in Kyoto or ball gowns in Venice.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:27 pm

prnewswire.com/news-releases/2019-is-the-year-of-ultra-personalized-travel-according-to-the-virtuoso-luxe-report-300740334.html
How awful.

On a different note:

Four Seasons has launched a new program called "Envoy". http://fourseasons.com/envoy
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
How awful.

On a different note:

Four Seasons has launched a new program called "Envoy". http://fourseasons.com/envoy
Herding all the influencers into one trackable program?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.