Best place to stay in Istanbul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to stay in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I asked a series of questions to both St Regis and the Raffles about location, room type etc.. The St Regis basically ignore to reply and do so only a few days later after multiple reminders. The Raffles replied within 2 hours of me sending my email enquiry with complete, detailed information. This is impressive. ^

I am going to book the Raffles.
Good choice!

Originally Posted by pricesquire
@scented: is your disdain for the St. Regis, as a brand, universal? IE, do you hate the flagship NYC property as much as IST, BKK, etc? Just trying to get your thoughts on St. Regis vs. why the IST property was so bad.

Hearing half decent, bordering on good/great reviews...mainly concerning location and aesthetic (for IST).

I would agree that FS Bosphorus is #1 in the city.
Hate is a big word, I'm pretty indifferent. St Regis just doesn't work for me in general. While the flagship has history and heritage, the rest of the brand is average. I actually used to like the Minor/Heinecke-owned BKK property and always had John Jacobs or the Royal Suite, so you'd think they would get it right but service failed me one too many times (don't get me started on their 'butlers') - switched to the Siam. Istanbul is the same in this regard, but it's still early days for that hotel.
St Regis is more Starwood than it would like to be and very pretentious - Raffles is another league. Many great details and they actually seem to care.

Last edited by scented; Apr 3, 2015 at 11:39 am
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:55 am

The Ciragan is arguably a better building/hotel than the FS Bosphorus. It has large rooms and many more that face the Bosphorus with balconies. The problem with the Ciragan is that it was due for a renovation 10 years ago and it still has not happened.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I shall go to Istanbul for work next April, and Pierre may join me as we never had the opportunity yet to go there. It's only for 2 days and considering the weather (pool not open before May) we will skip FS Bosphorus and probably stay at FS Sultanahmet. Which category shall we book? The gap between a premier room (55-60sqm) and an executive suite (60sqm) is huge despite similar size. What about the difference between an executive suite and a one-bedroom suite? Thanks in advance
After all the praise we decided to switch from FS Sultanahmet to FS at the Bosphorus. We booked a Palace Bosphorus Room at a crazy rate, hopefully it will be worth it.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:24 pm

After all the praise we decided to switch from FS Sultanahmet to FS at the Bosphorus. We booked a Palace Bosphorus Room at a crazy rate, hopefully it will be worth it.
It's a nice room but overpriced. The problem is less than half their rooms actually face the Bosphorus and really only the FS and Ciragan have expansive outdoor eating and swimming areas that are very special.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
less than half their rooms actually face the Bosphorus
wow, looking at numbers out of 170 rooms >

122 (72%) no bosphorus view (multiple room categories)

21 (12%)
13 deluxe room "limited and angled views of the bosphorus"
8 jr suite "partial of bosphorus OR the garden" (presumably angled)

27 (16%) (11% palace)
10 palace bosphorus room
9 palace bosphorus suite (multiple room categories)
8 bosphorus suite in main building, bosphorus view only in bedroom (not a large window)

huh, wonder whats on floor below atik pasha suite. palace boshorus rooms with taller windows?

http://www.fourseasons.com/bosphorus...om_comparison/

edit - looking at Pierre&Cedric floorplan below >

palace courtyard rooms (€490 > €725) :
1111 1112 1114 might be palace courtyard with angled bosphorus view
(01 might not be sold separately from 2BR bosphorus palace suite?)
(2nd floor 12 14 might not be sold separartely from atik pasha suite?)
(but those 4 connecting are included in palace courtyard room count)

palace bosphorus rooms (€1300 > €1650) :
1110 is larger corner with taller windows
1109 and 03 are larger
(2nd floor is only 03 04 05)

palace suites >
atika pasha above 1107-1114 (all 7)
2BR = 02+01 (both)
1BR = 06
(and roof suites on 3rd floor)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 20, 2015 at 7:45 pm
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by speedbird001
The problem with the Ciragan is that it was due for a renovation 10 years ago and it still has not happened.
This.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles Elite, IB Plus Plata
Has anyone stayed or heard anything about the new Soho House in Istanbul?
I am contemplating between the Soho House, FS Boshporus (stayed there before) and the Raffles.

The normal rooms at the FS are really nothing special and traffic to the hotel was a bit of a pain. I just think the Raffles is way too far away from where I would want to be. That is why I wanted to try out the Soho House.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:37 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

We stayed in one of the one bedroom Bosphorus Palace suites when we were there. It was the one that is described as "situated above the lobby, has a loft-style bedroom separated by six steps from a spacious living room". We ended up in this suite after first seeing the room we had booked (palace courtyard view room) and not feeling that this was large enough for us. We asked to see an alternative room, the hotel was full, but offered us a suite the day after. We googled the rates and thought we would just decline, but were upgraded instead (5 category upgrade - rates being 5 times higher than what we paid). It was a beautiful suite (more modern looking than the ones shown at the FS internet site) with a great view, but I would not have paid those rates to be honest.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by IB6825
Has anyone stayed or heard anything about the new Soho House in Istanbul?
I am contemplating between the Soho House, FS Boshporus (stayed there before) and the Raffles.

The normal rooms at the FS are really nothing special and traffic to the hotel was a bit of a pain. I just think the Raffles is way too far away from where I would want to be. That is why I wanted to try out the Soho House.
The Georges Hotel Galata has a super rooftop bar & restaurant, it is worth a stay there too, but book a room with a balcony.. DO pop in for the bar.. really worth it for the funky tunes and view though!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
huh, wonder whats on floor below atik pasha suite. palace boshorus rooms with taller windows?

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Apr 20, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:45 pm

So we stayed 2 nights in Palace Bosphorus Room #1107.

At check-in we were offered a 'paying' upgrade to a small suite in the modern wing. We politely declined as we wanted to stay in the Palace part. Then we were offered a second 'paying' upgrade to a Two-Bedroom Bosphorus Palace Suite. It was an opportunity to visit and see this type of accommodation so we said 'why not'. But we did not have a wow effect and the proposal to change from our 1,600 Eur/night room to a discounted 4,000 Eur/night suite was too expensive.

The room was nice, more modern than I expected, not big but with high ceiling, captivating view over the Bosphorus, and all amenities you can expect (including an iPod deck but with the old large plug!).

Positive:
- Housekeeping, laundry, in-room dining, all were brilliant with truly perfect service.
- Interior swimming pool and spa facilities are huge and beautifully designed. It is a stunning place, open until 10pm. The gym is one of the best equipped I ever saw and it is accessible 24h/day.
- Concierge was efficient with very good advice =>
1) We tried 'A taste of Istanbul'. It is a private tour of 8 hours including lunch at Four Seasons at Sultanahmet costing 350 Eur. We left with a water taxi (it is the best way to save time and avoid traffic). The tour is great and lunch at the sister property was very good.
2) They succeeded to book a window table at Leb-i derya restaurant on short notice at the exact time we had requested (9pm on a Friday night!).

To be improved:
- We had Spa treatments but they were average.
- Breakfast at Aqua was ok but service at lunch on the Terrace was messy. We had to call for a waiter to place the order, there were mistakes in the drinks, etc.

To leave we chose the airport transfer by boat. It's a must do!^

Overall we had a nice stay, even if room price is on the crazy side. I don't know if we would go back though; the Sultanahmet property offers a much better value and the whole scene at the Bosphorus was a big show, we didn't fit in.

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Apr 20, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to hear!

discounted 4,000 Eur/night
half off €8000 rate (€6500 in low season)
one category upgrade would have been palace roof suite

thanks for floorplan, i added room breakdown to >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post24637078

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:10 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
FWIW, we were in Istanbul last Oct and stayed at the Park Hyatt Mackas Palace in one of their Terrace Suites with a great view of the Bosphorus (a rarity in this property). We loved it. Our stay had great service, great breakfasts (we ate lunches and dinners at some of the best restaurants in the city), a modern well designed room (which was true for all the room categories there except the junior suite IMO), and a fantastic location right in the midst of the modern city--it took us only 20 min by taxi to reach the Sultanahmet for our tour day there, and only 25-30 min to return by their metro train/walk. We were no more than 10-15 min from almost all of the top restaurants in the city, as well. And it was a 5 min taxi ride to the Bosphorus (and FS and Ciragan). The best shopping in the city was outside our doorstep, though we didn't shop at all.

Still, we checked out the other top properties for future consideration.

For us:

(1) The FS Sultanahmet is beautiful and a great choice if you prefer being in the tourist/historic area. For touring, it was very close to most of the great sites most visited. Yet it is quite distant from the best restaurants in the city.

(2) The FS Bosphorus is a bait and switch to us. First, we despised the marble and other decor. Second, the only rooms with true Bosphorus views are outrageously priced and are not particularly spacious or well designed. We felt this property was WAY too stuffy and formal for our tastes, not to mention incredibly overpriced.

(3) Ciragan Palace was beautiful but another bait and switch. Most people will end up in the mundane Kempinski next door--which was ugly and had severely outdated facilities and decor. The actual Palace building was beautiful--but even more overpriced than the FS Bosphorus for its suites/rooms, the ones of which we saw were still outdated in their decor. For the history buff who doesn't need to worry about expense, I can understand the top suite or two, but for us this was a wasted visit. We were severely underwhelmed.

(4) St. Regis was not yet open, but literally is located just a half block from the Park Hyatt.

Say what you will, but having already been to the historic sites, I would never want to return and stay at the FS Sultanahmet. I've been there, done that. I hated the Ciragan/Kempinski, and I pretty much hated the formality/stuffiiness of the FS Bosphorus. Both the Ciragan and FS Bosphorus are ridiculously overpriced for what they offer IMO.

When we return to Istanbul, there is no question that we'd opt for the Park Hyatt again or the new St. Regis to check it out (I am SPG Plat after all). We loved the location, had top service, amenities, modern decor, fantastic nearby shopping, and the incredible array of nearby fantastic restaurants. And the rates are far better than at the others.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks Pierre&Cédric and bhrubin !

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Park Hyatt Mackas Palace
Terrace Suite
well designed room (which was true for all the room categories there except the junior suite IMO
how was the rainsky shower?
did you see Park Executive Suite?
good upgrade potential (unlike FS)
photo of rainsky in presidential >
http://www.oyster.com/istanbul/hotel...ite--v4788670/

only ten FS palace bosphorus rooms impacts rates
1110 seems like a great palace bosphorus room
1109 and 03 are also larger, but not corner
bed might face bosphorus in these rooms?
i agree design choices seem questionable

whole scene at the Bosphorus was a big show, we didn't fit in
Originally Posted by bhrubin
WAY too stuffy and formal for our tastes
formality/stuffiiness

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
good to hear!

half off €8000 rate (€6500 in low season)
one category upgrade would have been palace roof suite

thanks for floorplan, i added room breakdown to >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post24637078
Thanks Pierre&Cédric ( & Kage for details ) , we were in the same room enjoying the view & river life !
Thinking of returning this September as we were so exhausted last Nov that we didn ' t see the rest of the hotel !
Your suggestion of transfer by boat to IST seems enticing
Perhaps combine with PH or House .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.