Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in Istanbul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to stay in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:23 am

We stayed in the Sultanahmet area after our cruise and it was the perfect location to base our touring of Istanbul. We would not have wanted to travel in to that area from other parts. So certainly, if you're going to stay in Sultanahmet, the 4S is the way to go.

That being said, if you can do the PH for free, that is something to consider...
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
We stayed in the Sultanahmet area after our cruise and it was the perfect location to base our touring of Istanbul. We would not have wanted to travel in to that area from other parts. So certainly, if you're going to stay in Sultanahmet, the 4S is the way to go.

That being said, if you can do the PH for free, that is something to consider...
I am staying at the Park Hyatt and didn't have any trouble getting to both the Asian side and Sultahahmet entirely by walking and ferries yesterday. It's a great way to get around.

Personally I much prefer staying in the chic Beyoglu neighbourhoods e.g. Nisantasi where there are fantastic restaurants, bars etc within steps, rather than Sultanahmet which is a bit scruffy and touristy in my books.

I had lunch yesterday at the FS Sultanahmet and no doubt it is an exceptional property. But even if it weren't twice the price I would still choose the PH for location.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by ajca

Personally I much prefer staying in the chic Beyoglu neighbourhoods e.g. Nisantasi where there are fantastic restaurants, bars etc within steps, rather than Sultanahmet which is a bit scruffy and touristy in my books.

I had lunch yesterday at the FS Sultanahmet and no doubt it is an exceptional property. But even if it weren't twice the price I would still choose the PH for location.
+1

A relief to be at FS Bosphorous after our cruise rather than FS Sultanahmet where it is located as ajca has commented .
We are in the palace wing facing the Bosphorous . Really pleased as it ' s peaceful here & almost like a continuation of our cruise with similar toiletries
Surprisingly , the shower area is smaller than our ship ' s suite even if the bathroom is larger .
Haven ' t had time to check out the grounds as recovering from traipsing around Sultanahmet , old town , etc areas & the amount of walking the past couple of weeks .. Not to mention the early morns & late nights .

Our friends are at Nisantasi , but will likely save that for another visit .
Would stay here again though .

Seems like a few FTers in town now .. Enjoy
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
On the next IST visit , will like to combine FS Bosphorous & The House Hotel , Nisantasi . Has any one stayed here ?
Pity it ' s too cold to use the lovely FS pool .
Good views & the busy ship traffic makes this waterway very interesting . No foghorns heard , if you are wondering .
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:36 pm

I shall go to Istanbul for work next April, and Pierre may join me as we never had the opportunity yet to go there. It's only for 2 days and considering the weather (pool not open before May) we will skip FS Bosphorus and probably stay at FS Sultanahmet. Which category shall we book? The gap between a premier room (55-60sqm) and an executive suite (60sqm) is huge despite similar size. What about the difference between an executive suite and a one-bedroom suite? Thanks in advance
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I shall go to Istanbul for work next April, and Pierre may join me as we never had the opportunity yet to go there. It's only for 2 days and considering the weather (pool not open before May) we will skip FS Bosphorus and probably stay at FS Sultanahmet. Which category shall we book? The gap between a premier room (55-60sqm) and an executive suite (60sqm) is huge despite similar size. What about the difference between an executive suite and a one-bedroom suite? Thanks in advance
We had booked a premier room and were upgraded to an executive suite when we staid last autumn.

The advantage of the executive suite over the premier room is an additional powder room and a separate sitting room. This gives additional privacy e.g., if one of you wants to work in the room. Also, all executive suites have a view towards the interior courtyard (which you really want to have - very nice), while some premier rooms face the outside street. Of course, on you to judge if that justifies the price difference.

Overall we found FS Sultanahmet is a great place - boutique-y feel, very peaceful.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:34 am
Suspended

Any word on the St. Regis?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kamel123
The advantage of the executive suite over the premier room is an additional powder room and a separate sitting room.
That´s the reason you book a suite
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:50 am

Thank you for the advice Kamel.
For sure suites are supposed to be better than entry level rooms. But it's still worth asking as sometimes it can happen that a lower category is a wiser choice (lay-out, view, airiness, light).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Has anyone tried the new St Regis Istanbul?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Has anyone tried the new St Regis Istanbul?
Yes, I'm not a fan of St Regis in general and this property is no exception. If one is looking for an alternative to FS at the Bosporus, I'd recommend Raffles. Much better than St Regis.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by scented
Yes, I'm not a fan of St Regis in general and this property is no exception. If one is looking for an alternative to FS at the Bosporus, I'd recommend Raffles. Much better than St Regis.
Most things are better than St Regis, but I agree totally that the new Raffles Istanbul is excellent in every way, although of course it does not have those unique FS edge-of-Bosphorus views.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by scented
Would it be possible to get a bit more on your thoughts on the property?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:34 am
Suspended

@scented: is your disdain for the St. Regis, as a brand, universal? IE, do you hate the flagship NYC property as much as IST, BKK, etc? Just trying to get your thoughts on St. Regis vs. why the IST property was so bad.

Hearing half decent, bordering on good/great reviews...mainly concerning location and aesthetic (for IST).

I would agree that FS Bosphorus is #1 in the city.

I'd also add that:

1) Ciragan is something worth writing home about.

and

2) The lobby of Raffles looks like a cruise ship interior.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I asked a series of questions to both St Regis and the Raffles about location, room type etc.. The St Regis basically ignore to reply and do so only a few days later after multiple reminders. The Raffles replied within 2 hours of me sending my email enquiry with complete, detailed information. This is impressive. ^

I am going to book the Raffles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.