Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in Istanbul

Old Nov 25, 10, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan

I was wondering where is the best place (other than FS) to stay in Istanbul. I will only be there for a very short business trip but hope to look around a bit.
Old Nov 25, 10, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Doctor Fred View Post
I was wondering where is the best place (other than FS) to stay in Istanbul. I will only be there for a very short business trip but hope to look around a bit.

Researching the same question for a vacation next month.

FS Bosphorus seems to be the best choice, but beyond that, the following seem to be credible options. I"ll let others on this board comment on their opinions:

- Park Hyatt
- Cirgan Palace
- Ritz Carlton
- Swissotel?
Old Nov 25, 10, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Gold, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, SWDgold, Choicepl, HYgld
I stayed at the Cirgan Palace. I would return in a heart beat. It was wonderful. Great view, wonderful room, excellent food.
Old Nov 26, 10, 1:13 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Depends on what part of the city you want to stay in. If you want to be near the tourist attractions there is only one choice and that is the FS at Sultanahmet. Park Hyatt is a lovely hotel in an area replete with luxury shopping and great restaurants but a taxi ride from the tourist sites (not really a problem.) For views you can't beat the Ciragan Palace as well as the FS Bospherus. Personally, I don't like the Ritz Carlton in Istanbul.
Old Nov 26, 10, 1:19 pm

Best by a long way is FS Bosphorus, followed by FS Sultanahmet, followed by Park Hyatt.

Ciragan Palace is a Kempinski. I have stayed twice and was disappointed both times. Good food? Not in my experience.

Ritz Carlton - in an awful part of town with very tired rooms and public areas and no sense of place whatsoever. The building itself is one of the ugliest I have ever seen and the food is....just food.

Swissotel? Why would you?
Old Nov 27, 10, 11:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Stayed at the FS Bosphorus this past summer and it is the only place to stay in the summer in Istanbul. The hotel sits on the Bosphorus Strait and has a beautiful pool, but it is further away from the touristy stuff. Keep in mind taxi's are very cheap in Istanbul, getting around is not a big issue.
Old Nov 28, 10, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for the FS Bosphorous.
Park Haytt can be a (farther down) second choice- especially if you can get some kind of upgrade with suite certificates etc- but it is not the FS.
Old Nov 29, 10, 5:12 pm

Best hotel- FS Bosphorus.

Best views and food - Ciragan Palace but the rooms are in great need of renovation. Too bad.
Old Nov 30, 10, 7:14 pm

Add another vote for the FS Bosphorus. Stayed there this fall for the first time and will never stay anywhere else when I return. Vastly superior to the other Istanbul FS, although that location is closer to most of the tourist attractions.

But with a location right on the river and such a gorgeous property, there's no reason to look elsewhere.
Old Dec 1, 10, 12:42 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Accor A-Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Of these, I've only stayed at the Park Hyatt.

We liked the location in Teşvikiye and our room was lovely! An additional plus -- the P.H. is across the street from Kosebasi, a restaurant with several locations in Istanbul. Out of all the meals we had on our recent RTW trip, the one we had at Kosebasi is definitely a part of the mental "highlight reel"!
Old Dec 9, 10, 2:29 pm

Programs: American EXP & 3MM
Originally Posted by Doctor Fred View Post
Why not Four Seasons?
Old Dec 12, 10, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I've stayed at the FS Sultanhamet and the Ciragan Palace. Much preferred the Ciragan Palace. My friend was at the FS Bosphorus but visited me at the Ciragan Palace and said she much preferred it to her hotel.
Old Dec 13, 10, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ambassador Platinum
Was just there over Thanksgiving. Stayed 2 nights at the FS Sultanhamet in a 1br suite. Great room, great service, perfect location for the tourist spots. Highly recommended.

Stayed another 2 nights at the Intercontinental Ceylan. Terrible cookie cutter 3 star at best. The PH is just across the street. Wasn't so fond of the area as there is tremendous traffic. However, there are some good restaurants and shopping nearby. Kind of a pain to get to Sultanhamet due to the traffic regardless of taxi prices.
Old Dec 13, 10, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've stayed in Ciragan Palace several times on a FHR rate and was upgraded into a top floor junior suite with a view of the water each time. I love the setting and the feeling that one is entering into a peaceful and secure park with a stunning pooi (although shallow for lap swimmers). My only complaints were that during one stay the indoor pool was closed for renovation but this wasn't announced and once I had a fight to get hypoallergic pillows (they ran out and I suggested strongly that in a good hotel the concierge would send someone out to buy more).
Old Dec 13, 10, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you are there on business, it might be best to stay by Taksim. I usually stay at the Intercontinental. If you have a Club Suite it is quite luxurious and has, I think, the best views of any hotel in Istanbul.

Another luxury choice is the new W. It is one of the better W's out there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: