Best place to stay in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is there any reason not to do PH?
im guessing you would not like that edition is hangout of local power/wealth
RC would be like worst domestic RC

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
I dont see us being able to secure palace rooms (view or not)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS >
€490 - 33 - superior room
€650 - 19 - palace courtyard room

kempinski >
€520 park room
assuming re non-palace room at FS, its price vs PH/RC, but as mentioned, PH/RC dont have the amenities. and PH/RC plus kempinski daypasses probably adds up to FS. so maybe part of the equation is what one is doing during the day, and perhaps changing hotels over the course of itin. a question for spa goers is what access spa guests get at FS. and of course being FT, another factor is award stays being possible at most places besides FS.

there are also other boutique hotels, i think there has been some brief discussion of several here.

Originally Posted by Musken
not happy with first (palace) room...We asked to see alternative rooms. Hotel was full but they were able to move us - and upgrade us - to one of the suites (a 6 category upgrade i believe :-)
interesting report ^ so youre at ruya now?

1/2BR bosphorus palace suite? ^

- €650 palace courtyard room
x €1300 jr suite
- €1400 palace bosphorus room
- €2000 palace roof suite
x €3250 bosphorus suite
- €6000 bosphorus palace suite
- €7500 2BR bosphorus palace suite
~€23K 3BR atik pasha suite
PH >
€275 - 55 - room
€425 - 5 - park suite
€475 - 25 - spa room
€1025 - 5 - terrace suite
€2775 - 1 - executive suite
interesting upgrade potential there

edit >

Musken, only 4 days ago but long enough for me to forget

Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
My favourite is the Conrad Istanbul. It does not have the service level of the old FS or the Kempinski, but the panorama from the Executive Lounge is IMHO the most beautiful hotel view in the world.
IMHO the best Bosphorus views in Istanbul are from the Conrad (Executive Lounge & Terrace)

the Conrad is an alternative, especially in winter
The Ritz-Carlton is like a scar in the Skyline of Istanbul and was said to be built illegally. Only with some "tricks" (apparently redefining the border of the local municipality) did the Süzer family manage to keep this glass-and-concrete-tower from being demolished. The service in the RC is good, but the whole look-and-feel has nothing to do with Istanbul.

I am often in Istanbul and will keep staying at the Kempinski in summer and at the Conrad (executive floor views!) in winter.
The Ritz is a scar in the face of this beautiful city and should not be supported.

The rest is much based on personal tastes: if you like views, Conrad Exec Floor is unbeatable.
conrad view http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12774826-post16.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:32 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Kage!! Have you missed me reporting on first impressions ruya? How could that happen? Yes, at ruya now. :-)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:36 am
Aman Contributor Badge

And i definitely did not get the impression that it would be normal to get that kind up upgrade. Just big luck. Or very nice guests
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
is there any reason not to do PH?
i guess you would not like that edition is hangout of local power/wealth
RC would be like worst domestic FS/RC without service/etc
regardless, you can get daypasses for kempinski pool etc
I've read the FT reviews and I've read the non-FT reviews; there's quite a different reaction to this hotel outside of our little cocoon. I've learned to vary up my sources. E380 for full Bosph view and Club w/Cent benes vs E305 at PH with no view of note plus FHR benes w/aforementioned upgrade possibilities.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
FS palace bosphorus room is the way to go...

See my review with pics here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...us-review.html
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:57 am

RC would be like worst domestic RC
Checked into RC Istanbul club, full Bosph view room.

First impressions: Ive been a contributor/observer of the lux hotels forum for 10 years strong and I fear it may be going astray. Of course we all have our own particular reasons to consider certain properties for certain visits, but there is no reason to so absolutely dissuade someone from staying here; as it is nearly unanimously suggested throughout this thread and forum.

For E380 via Cent we have perhaps the most mesmerizing view I have ever had in a hotel anywhere in the world (2nd to this probably Oriental Suite balcony at MO HKG? or perhaps full river upper tier suite at Pen BKK? Either way, this view is better than both) plus all the Club amenities with service so far that is stellar. We are essentially perched at a perfect height above the Bosphorus like a lookout for Mehmet's ships would be. Stunning.

I'd post a photo of the view if I knew how. How do you post photos onto FT? Thx...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

First impressions: Ive been a contributor/observer of the lux hotels forum for 10 years strong and I fear it may be going astray. Of course we all have our own particular reasons to consider certain properties for certain visits, but there is no reason to so absolutely dissuade someone from staying here; as it is nearly unanimously suggested throughout this thread and forum.

For E380 via Cent we have perhaps the most mesmerizing view I have ever had in a hotel anywhere in the world (2nd to this probably Oriental Suite balcony at MO HKG? or perhaps full river upper tier suite at Pen BKK? Either way, this view is better than both) plus all the Club amenities with service so far that is stellar. We are essentially perched at a perfect height above the Bosphorus like a lookout for Mehmet's ships would be. Stunning.

I'd post a photo of the view if I knew how. How do you post photos onto FT? Thx...
Great post. You are correct that everyone has their likes and dislikes, but someones personal dislikes is no reason to tell me not to stay at a hotel.

As for the views, as I posted above from the Club rooms up top at the IC, which is close to the RC, yet which is much higher up than the RC, I can only agree with you. However as an IC RA I can get the same thing you got for under €200.

To insert a picture here, just click on the picture icon when creating your post and insert the URL of where the picture resides on the Internet.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:28 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Recommendations here are offen "if Money is no issue"-recommendations.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

several possibilities that immediately come to mind >
- my memory is wrong - i seem to recall first hand reports here that specifically mentioned tired rooms and weak service
- if there are such reports, presumably all old, meaning situation could have changed
- (there was a third i just forgot)

may have been renovated in 2009

service so far that is stellar
from Musken's recent FS bosphorus report >

Originally Posted by Musken
not served complimentary water by the pool

concierge...some of my questions were not answered properly at first and I ended up making quite a lot of changes to the original plan after I (slowly) got the full picture

did not feel recognized and were not addressed with name except sometimes

Housekeeping was sometimes excellent and sometimes sloppy

Some mistakes were treated as if it was us doing something wrong. For example, we wanted to order food for our son in room one night and did not find the in room dining menu in the room. When we called for it, we were told "the menu is on the table" (it wasn't!!!) and had to ask again

edit - searched 'worst' threads as well as "ritz+istanbul" >

Originally Posted by mecabq
Ritz-Carlton Istanbul is pretty poor, considering the other options nearby. The Four Seasons Bosphorous and Park Hyatt nearby are far better.

In fact, the RC is really no better than the Hyatt Regency across the street in my opinion.
mecabq "Location California, Istanbul, Doha"

mentions departure of good GM, also mentions renovation >
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
since their GM Allan Federer left, the [RC] is no longer worthy of consideration, although I just heard that they had recently completed a refurbishment and had also changed GMs
2005 report mentions poor door staff at RC and good door staff at FS >
Originally Posted by JSD
full seaview room, which was wide rather than long, and had a long wall of windows facing the bosphorus. There are only two of these per floor (xx10 and xx12 I believe, with xx11 being the seaview suites

doorman asked if he could arrange for transportation back to the Ritz, which surprised me until I realized that he had bothered to notice the logo on our umbrellas

does seem like a few first hand in this thread as well, but not specific

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 27, 2012 at 11:52 am
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FT >
i use imageshack >
http://imageshack.us/?no_flash=y
after upload, url changes to this >
http://imageshack.us/content_round.p...267/9443/x.jpg
this is the working direct link >
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9443/x.jpg
(copy format, there is no x.jpg in this case)
minus >
http://minus.com/ln0RrnTsJ237K
click it OR right click open link in new tab OR right click open image in new tab
to get direct link http://i.minus.com/in0RrnTsJ237K.jpg
ah you can also say view original

or simply look at the "lbgvQQ1radM8tG" part and change first "l" to "i"
insert that here - http://i.minus.com/ x .jpg

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold

I'd agree on the view,it is stunning.
However,next door to the hotel is a rubbish strewn over grown wooded dirty looking enclosed garden.See'ing it is unavoidable.
That's what turned me off.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:14 am

Im away from home, can someone quickly check this year's FHR book? Does it say that the RC's FHR breakfast is in restaurant only or is in-room dining an option? What about the FS?

Thanks much!
DR
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:21 am

Im away from home, can someone quickly check this year's FHR book? Does it say that the RC's FHR breakfast is in restaurant only or is in-room dining an option? What about the FS?

Thanks much!
DR

Found it myself. This is a helpful link: http://www.finehotelsresortsdigital....2?pg=303#pg218

Unfortunately, they do not describe the breakfast options.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
To insert a picture here, just click on the picture icon when creating your post and insert the URL of where the picture resides on the Internet.
I see, so it seems I cant pull it off my hard-drive...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I see, so it seems I cant pull it off my hard-drive...
Correct. It has to be stored somewhere on the public Internet.

As for FHR breakfasts, I think the minimum is continental breakfast in the restaurant. But many hotels extend this to a full breakfast, or even a full room service breakfast. In fact out of all the many, many FHR stays I've done around the world I think only once have I been restricted to just a continental breakfast. But the FHR guide will not give you these details as it is a local hotel decision that could change at anytime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.