Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

jumeirah essex house private rentals

http://www.laurenbergercollection.com/

properties include a 1BR and 2BR @ jumeirah essex house

rates include daily housekeeping and airport transfers

http://www.travelpulse.com/Resources...l.aspx?n=65347
The Lauren Berger Collection of upscale short- and long-term rental properties...

membership privileges to Quintessentially

access to the Classic Car Club

full access to the facilities at the Core Club in New York City

entry to the invitation-only Number 42 club, a top networking organization for Executive PAs and a sister club to Paisley Taylor – a private members-only Executive Club in London; access to Miss Jones’ network of top PAs in London, a members club for Executive PAs in London
for the TAs >
The Lauren Berger Collection pays agents a 12 commission
http://www.justluxe.com/travel/luxur...ure-264359.php
greeted at the airport in a roomy Mercedes E55 and taken to my accommodations at the residence on the 11th floor of the luxurious Essex House

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 6, 2010 at 9:42 am
Old Feb 5, 2010, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I stayed at a private apartment in the Essex House for several months many years ago ... it is a superb location, but the building has some problems. Noise, fumes, layout, etc; the Pierre is a much better buidling as a point of comparison. Also not all apts have a park view (I'm presuming these do).
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
I stayed at a private apartment in the Essex House for several months many years ago ... it is a superb location, but the building has some problems. Noise, fumes, layout, etc; the Pierre is a much better buidling as a point of comparison. Also not all apts have a park view (I'm presuming these do).
2BR is park view - http://www.laurenbergercollection.co...r/dining_2.jpg
pics of 1BR dont show view, so probably not park.

isnt this kind of rental extremely rare? i had no idea essex house didnt have a min lease. but AFAIK pretty much all of them have 12 month mins - MO, both RC, and the non-condohotel units at trump intl, plaza, mark. (plaza/mark condohotel units are more expensive than trump.)

carlyle and sherry netherland (both COOP) and waldorf (rentals) units all seem to be able to be included in hotel inventory. these 3 get very expensive. recently saw carlyle owners pay ~$10 per ft2 per month. pierre (COOP, few>none in hotel inventory) is only ~$3 per ft2 per month. IIRC highest ive seen for condohotel is ~$2 per ft2 per month.

trump intl is probably least mixed here along with lowell. im assuming the value of the essex private rentals are better than those. dont know the rates though.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 6, 2010 at 10:30 am
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Part of Essex House was condominiums (goes back decades), not co-op, so those units can be used any which way. Most are owned corporately. Yes, extremely rare for such rentals on a daily basis. I took a look at the LB web site, and they need some serious help with technology and security. Their guest bookings are visible on the web for all to see -- rather disturbing. The layout of the 1BR is rather poor, with no foyer (unusual for apts of that era, perhaps this was servants' quarters originally).
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Besides myself, a number of my family and friends used to live in these condominium-with-hotel-service-units. A monthly rental with weekly ad-ons wasn't too hard to pull off and even during the boom years of the bubbles provided pretty good value compared to daily hotel room rates in the same building or even something like the Hilton hotels in NYC.

This was a way to live while being able to charge everything to the credit cards.

Exiting on and walking along 58th street wasn't always pleasant, and exiting on 59th/CPS too often had its pluses and minuses if walking.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

GUWonder, which properties? were the monthly rentals allowed, or were you doing it under the table? (obviously hard to prove someone is a renter rather than a guest.)
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
GUWonder, which properties? were the monthly rentals allowed, or were you doing it under the table? (obviously hard to prove someone is a renter rather than a guest.)
The Essex House monthly (and multi-monthly) rentals with weekly extensions were done above the table as far as I knew, both when the Nikko flag was flying as well as when Starwood had its flag on the place.

While I found I that I knew a fair number of the owners in the building, I never went thru them or under the table brokers to rent places. I got the primarily one-bedroom units from people working in a special section off to the side of the lobby and was a walk-in the first time I did it. I think it was actually the hotel front desk that actually directed me to the condo rental rep(s) the first time when I told them that I needed a place for something between a few weeks and a few months.

It would be hard to be confused for a non-paying guest rather than a paying renter/guest when the hotel was sending me invoices in my name for the various charges I was making for ordering room service, using the telephone, etc.

The charges for the rental units marketed by the condo reps were charged by credit card at the start of the rental period and separately from the hotel incidental charges, the latter of which were charged and settled by the front desk at the end of the rental period(s).
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
This seems to fall under the "if you have to ask you can't afford it" heading, as no hint of pricing is to be found on the site......
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
This seems to fall under the "if you have to ask you can't afford it" heading, as no hint of pricing is to be found on the site......
Compared to paying for a typical, higher-end business class hotel in Manhattan during the work week, I found the pricing to be pretty reasonable and so did those who would sometimes have to cover my rental and even incidental expenses at the property.

The costs were different based on the particular unit being rented out and were also often cheaper in the summer than in the fall, winter and spring.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

great info GUWonder. so this is nothing new at essex house. odd i thought i had checked most of the condohotel/coop properties. very interesting they actually have a rental department onsite, and dont simply put the units in hotel inventory.

lauren berger listings >
2BR $30K/mo ($1K/nt) http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rental/604...south-new-york
1BR $13K/mo ($435/nt) http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rental/604...south-new-york
i will check on min stay, and how rates fluctuate.

http://streeteasy.com/nyc/building/t...jumeirah-essex
1BR from $4K/mo and 2BR from $11.5K/mo

http://essexhouseproperties.com/rentals.html
studio from $3K/mo (1 month min, only weekly housekeeping, taxes when <6 months)

re last post - marriott added condos in 1974, so one of the first hotel condo residences, if not condohotel as well. and NY condos only started in 1964. looks like <99 jumeirah renovated condos + 139 other condos

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 6, 2010 at 10:30 am
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as i said i assume value is better than trump/lowell. i will get rates/details and post at some point.
Thanks a lot Kagehitokiri! Appreciated as always.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:52 am
Suspended

so this is nothing new at essex house. odd i thought i had checked most of the condohotel/coop properties. very interesting they actually have a rental department onsite, and dont simply put the units in hotel inventory.

as i said i assume value is better than trump/lowell. i will get rates/details and post at some point.
I don't know if all, most, some or none of those monthly+add-on week rented out units got rotated for sale thru hotel inventory too or not, but I do know that the condition of some of the rental suites were such that the furnishings would be considered more "worn" than the typical furnishing in the suites available only thru the normal Nikko and later Starwood hotel reservation booking channels. The charges for the rental were calculated by the rental office on the basis of a daily rate and charged up-front in-full for all but the incidentals. Never did see a housekeeping charge even as housekeeping came over daily in all those years. Normal hotel stationary and phones in the suites. It was a formalized process even before "condo-hotels" or the like was a term you could count on finding in some real estate advertising sections of retail publications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.