Search

How about Kempinski?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
How about Kempinski?

It seems to me that Kempinski is under-represented on this board. The group certainly lacks consistency (similar to Ritz-Carlton), and some of their properties need a serious renovation. But without a doubt, Kempinski do have local Nr. 1 properties in quite a number of cities:

Kempinski Istanbul Ciragan Palace
Kempinski Daressalaam
Kempinski Bamako (now a Laico, unfortunately)
Kempinski Dresden Taschenbergpalais
Kempinski Munich Vier Jahreszeiten
Kempinski Adlon Berlin
Kempinski Leela Goa
Kempinski Leela Kerala
Kempinski Leela Bangalore *
Kempinski Djibouti *
Kempinski Abu Dhabi Emirates Palace *
Kempinski St. Petersburg Moika *

(* haven't been myself)

Would you agree? Or add properties?

Anyone been to the new Kempinski lodges in Etosha or Serengeti?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have always thought the same thing -- how shockingly un-discussed they are here, given their reach. I also agree with you about a number of properties standing out in their locales -- though I have only stayed in Istanbul, Abu Dhabi, Ajman (UAE), and Dead Sea, with a trip to Zanzibar in a few weeks and hopefully Djibouti later in the year. I would also add the Dead Sea property to your list of local number 1's (although I have not been to the new Six Senses yet).

Perhaps we could start a dedicated thread?

They also have the Kempinski Private Concierge service, which I have never investigated but am curious about.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:30 pm

Don't forget the K Wuxi-not bad, similar to a Hyatt
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:54 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
To me, I only know Kempinski in the context of the Vier Jahrzeiten, Atlantic, Adlon, Ciragan Palace and the Emirates Palace. I guess that they lack presence in New York, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc may hurt their exposure to us here in North America.

Perhaps my first introduction to a Kempinski was the Hotel Adlon and it was a very poor introduction to the brand that I have simply dismissed the brand altogether.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:00 pm

I could chime in on the few Kempinski's I know....

Vier Jahreszeiten Munich.... haven't been there in a long time, but for a while, I thought the rooms were pretty terrible. I hope they have renovated.

Munich airport Kempinski. Good for a (basically) in-terminal location.

Bodrum.... Liked it A LOT!^
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I rather liked the (rather new) Kempinski in Portoroz, Slovenia, 'Hotel Kempinski Palace Portoroz'.

Its decor was rather lovely - just my favourite sort. It was quite pretty (and both their 'traditional' and 'modern' rooms were to my liking) but without going chintzy.

But I don't really see Kempinski as as luxury 'luxury' hotel.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 10, 2009 at 7:21 am Reason: Fixing an unclear point
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't stayed there, but the one in Budapest looks pretty good, especially compared to the faux-luxury Le Meridien next door (yes, that's where I was staying )...
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed in the Dresden Kempinski, it's a nice hotel, but the service isn't at a luxury level. Still the rooms and amenities very nice, I'd categorize it as at the higher end of upscale.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by mecabq
I have always thought the same thing -- how shockingly un-discussed they are here, given their reach. I also agree with you about a number of properties standing out in their locales -- though I have only stayed in Istanbul, Abu Dhabi, Ajman (UAE), and Dead Sea, with a trip to Zanzibar in a few weeks and hopefully Djibouti later in the year. I would also add the Dead Sea property to your list of local number 1's (although I have not been to the new Six Senses yet).
I was considering the Zanzibar property a while ago but ended up going to Tahiti instead. Please let us know how you liked the hotel.

Last edited by cathaana; Jul 10, 2009 at 8:01 am
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cathaana
I was considering the Zanzibar property a while ago but ended up going to Tahiti instead. Please let us know how you liked the hotel.
A friend of mine has been to the Zanzibar Kempinski last year. Must have been terrible, even by average standards. Therefore I went to the Serena Zanzibar, which is nice and colonial style, but definitely not high luxury and not a holiday/beach resort. I think that the whole island is not worth staying more than two nights.

The Kempinski Daressalam is a recommendation however, if you have to stop in that city. Very modern. Business hotel. Fantastic bar on the highest floor.

Am still curious about Kempinski's two new lodges in the Serengeti and Etosha.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxury
To me, I only know Kempinski in the context of the Vier Jahrzeiten, Atlantic, Adlon, Ciragan Palace and the Emirates Palace. I guess that they lack presence in New York, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc may hurt their exposure to us here in North America.

Perhaps my first introduction to a Kempinski was the Hotel Adlon and it was a very poor introduction to the brand that I have simply dismissed the brand altogether.
I was also dissapointed by the Adlon, but Berlin lacks a top luxury hotel anyway. The Schlosshotel Grunewald (ex-Ritz Carlton , ex-whatever) is too far away, the new Ritz-Carlton is soul-less Dubai-style, the Park Hyatt too modern artificial, the Rocco Forte De Rome is a dark deception, maybe the Regent (ex-Four Seasons) is ok. In the old days (before the wall came down), the Kempinski Bristol, known to everyone as "the Kempi" was the undisputed Nr. 1, now still loved by the West Berlin locals, but in need of a renovation.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I stayed at the Ciragan Palace in Istanbul - a very nice hotel with a fabulous breakfast buffet ... and had a site inspection of the Bodrum property, a beautiful beach resort.

The Budapest Kempinski, on the other hand... I couldn't get out of that building quickly enough. Long, dark hallways with no natural light, and having new cars on display in the hotel lobby was disconcerting. Luxury hotels and new car showrooms don't mix, IMHO!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:00 am

We really cannot include Kempinski in this forum - it is not a consistently deluxe chain. They think they are five-star, but generally they are not.

The Adlon is full of convention types and unless you work for the EU, you are just a number.

Vier Jahreszeiten Munich - liked the refurbished rooms/suites, but the finish/quality was hardly Four Seasons level and service was so-so.

Leela Goa - this is more to do with the owner, Captain Nair, than Kempinski, as with all the Indian hotels run by them. Nair is the one who sets the standard here, and it is an OK standard, but not top end.

Ciragan Palace tries hard (sometimes) but food quality is not great and service is so-so. Another convention hotel - taken out of the water by neighbouring Four Seasons.

Atlantic in Hamburg is VERY tired indeed.

The thing is, why would you stay at a Kempinski if there was a Four Seasons or something approaching it? This is a four star brand - fine for the occasional business trip, but not in the deluxe league.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
We really cannot include Kempinski in this forum - it is not a consistently deluxe chain.
I really enjoy the very high level of this forum (haven't found it on any other website).

However, when it comes to consistency, the only acceptable luxury chain seems to be Amanhotels. And even they have a little "consistency problem" with their hotels in Bora Bora, Sri Lanka, Courchevel, ...

In addition, I travel more often than not to places where even a Radisson (Eastern Europe), a Marriott (Caucasus) or a Novotel/Mercure (West Africa) can seem like pure luxury, considering the tough surroundings.

I find it helpful, if I can ask the experienced community on this forum about "the best hotel" in all sorts of places, even if these hotels are not on the FS/MO/PEN/Aman level.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
I find it helpful, if I can ask the experienced community on this forum about "the best hotel" in all sorts of places, even if these hotels are not on the FS/MO/PEN/Aman level.
Indeed, 'best/least bad supposedly-luxury hotel in each city' in this section would be most welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.