The Merrion
The Westbury
Claridge's

HK - tbd

Sept
Eden Rome
Aman Venice
Villa Feltrinelli
Oh please do let me know about Hotel Eden in Rome... on my list, too!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite

Checking in next week
Park Hyatt Vienna
The Dolder Grand Zürich

Among many things, looking forward to enjoying some Käsekrainer and St. Gallen bratwurst!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:26 am

Jan:

Hong Kong - The Peninsula
Macau - TBC, but likely St Regis or FS
Khao Lak - JW Marriott Khao Lak
Bangkok - TBC, but likely Peninsula

Apr:

TBC Napa Valley - Auberge and/or Solage
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:09 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ericka
Giraffe Manor! I'm so jealous! Our safari is taking us to malaria free locals next year because of our young son. No Tanzania or Kenya.

We just booked a quick getaway to THE POINT. First time visit, end of July. I'll report back.
Where is your safari? I also have a young child also. I'm dying to go on a safari again but thought I had to wait til he was older.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:05 am

Just had an enjoyable quick trip around Europe to: Sant Francesc, Park Hyatt Mallorca, Palazzo Parigi, Four Seasons Florence and The Thief in Oslo.

Coming up over the next 4 weeks:

Cliveden House
The Connaught - for opening of Jean-George restaurant
The Lanesborough - re-attempt
Villa Honegg
Alpina Gstaad, followed by a 30 minute drive to fly in a Hunter fighter jet with the Swiss airforce.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Just had an enjoyable quick trip around Europe to: Sant Francesc, Park Hyatt Mallorca, Palazzo Parigi, Four Seasons Florence and The Thief in Oslo.
Anything that stood out?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by hannisen
Anything that stood out?

I am not MacMyDay, but we just returned from FS Florence. I was absolutely blown away by this hotel in every respect. It may have been my favorite city hotel stay.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Cliveden House
I'll be greatly interested in your take on Cliveden. I was on their website today and looking at recent pictures on the TripAdvisor site as well as Flickr. I was thinking of using it as an airport motel before we fly to Montreal next month, en route to Greenland.

And you know what? Even though the new spa/pool area is now open, I just don't think it's for us. Partly this is because of photography - the front is just a car park and the back has scaffolding because of the huge number of events they put on. So photographing this Grade I Italianate palazzo would be tricky.

Also, I dunno, it just looks a bit too bling for me with loads of weddings/functions etc. And I truly resent having to pay that £12-odd per person donation to the National Trust, an organisation I absolutely loathe. NT members swarm all over the place and hotel guests have to pay up just like them.

So I nixed it. Probably my mistake as the Andre Garrett restaurant looks wonderful and I could have worn a suit and tie for the first time in three years and not looked out of place, out of time, out of cash.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jul 17, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

myeurocrush, search this forum for morukuru
many here safari with young kids to south/east africa
interesting post re malaria and malaria-free >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post22931858
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post22937374

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 17, 2017 at 11:17 am
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:32 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by myeurocrush
Where is your safari? I also have a young child also. I'm dying to go on a safari again but thought I had to wait til he was older.
We've taken our son on a safari and in fact just picked up a dose of malarone today for upcoming trip to SA, Vic Falls, Botswana and Namibia. We're leaving in two days.

The trick is a private vehicle/private guide (we did that when he just turned 5), therefore Serian in Tanzania and Kenya. There are (IMO) less luxurious options where you share vehicles (Singita, And Beyond, etc...), which is what we'll be stuck doing on this trip somewhat.... so our trend has been downward.

It's an incomparable experience and malaria pills are annoying, but far less so than spending all that time in an airplane. Just a simple pill and no need to worry.

We've also taken him to plenty of malaria hotspots, like SE Asia and the Amazon rain forest and just skipped the malaria pills altogether.
mumum17 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DSI
We've taken our son on a safari and in fact just picked up a dose of malarone today for upcoming trip to SA, Vic Falls, Botswana and Namibia. We're leaving in two days.

The trick is a private vehicle/private guide (we did that when he just turned 5), therefore Serian in Tanzania and Kenya. There are (IMO) less luxurious options where you share vehicles (Singita, And Beyond, etc...), which is what we'll be stuck doing on this trip somewhat.... so our trend has been downward.

It's an incomparable experience and malaria pills are annoying, but far less so than spending all that time in an airplane. Just a simple pill and no need to worry.

We've also taken him to plenty of malaria hotspots, like SE Asia and the Amazon rain forest and just skipped the malaria pills altogether.
Just douse everything in permethrin. You'll be good to go ^
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DSI, why not book private vehicles? many offer
though singita recently changed how, cost is up

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 17, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Thanks for the information DSI, always have respected your choices.

We are taking our daughter next year to malaria free safari in SA at Mateya. The good part is that like DSI said, the vehicles are all private and with only max 4 to a vehicle. Looking very much to it as the place looks luxurious and feedback has been amazing.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:35 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by mumum17
Thanks for the information DSI, always have respected your choices.

We are taking our daughter next year to malaria free safari in SA at Mateya. The good part is that like DSI said, the vehicles are all private and with only max 4 to a vehicle. Looking very much to it as the place looks luxurious and feedback has been amazing.
Many thanks! You'll have a great time.

Ani Anguilla was not a great choice it turns out! Talk about looking like a complete fool in front of our best friends, who were on their anniversary... they've never even been to a Four Seasons or many luxury hotels, but they even thought the service standards were low.

Tentatively, our next safari is going to be some sort of fly camping/overland safari with ATV or UTV's over Tanzania. I'm not sure how to get it going, but there's supposed to be a French outfit in Tanzania that handles those things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.