Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 6:01 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by KatW
But favorable CAD exchange rate if traveling from U.S. Understand likely not the case for NI-KRT.
We will be traveling from the U.S., and I get paid in dollars. So I'm golden
Old May 25, 2024, 6:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We will be traveling from the U.S., and I get paid in dollars. So I'm golden
perfect!
Old May 25, 2024, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
June-

The Tokyo Station Hotel

Sakurayu Sanshuyu, Akayu

Atami-so, Koriyama

Matsushima Sakan Shoan, near Sendai

Hyatt Regency Yokohama

ANA IC Ishigaki Bay Wing

Kahala Hotel Yokohama

Third trip to Japan so far this year!
Why the HR Yokohama? I stayed there once in what they called a suite (actually a larger room with a partial dividing wall in the middle) and was definitely not impressed. It is near to Yokohama Chinatown, which is filled with bad Chinese restaurants. Not too much else. The Minato Mirai area of Yokohama is a bit more interesting and there are hotels of equivalent quality, which (like the HR) are not close to luxury.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Why the HR Yokohama? I stayed there once in what they called a suite (actually a larger room with a partial dividing wall in the middle) and was definitely not impressed. It is near to Yokohama Chinatown, which is filled with bad Chinese restaurants. Not too much else. The Minato Mirai area of Yokohama is a bit more interesting and there are hotels of equivalent quality, which (like the HR) are not close to luxury.
Just a one-night stopover before our Ishigaki trip from Haneda. I was thinking Tokyo hotels have such bad value and Yokohamas actually closer to Haneda. I was looking at others like the Kahala or the IC Pier 8 but its on a weekend so they're double the weekday rate.

It's also rated highly amongst Japanese domestic travelers on ikyu.com. What you missed out was Yamate, a historic district of 1920s and 1930s mansions once occupied by Western diplomats, just behind the Chinatown. There is a nice little park called Harbor View Park there which feels a bit like the Presidio on a good day.

Would you not say the IC Pier 8 or the Kahala (will stay there too) is luxury? They're both highly rated and have gorgeous pics.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
June

Raffles The OWO - London

July
The Peninsula Hong Kong
Rosewood Hong Kong
Raffles Macau (New Opening)
St. Regis Macau
Ritz-Carlton HK
St. Regis HK
Mandarin Oriental HK
Raffles Shenzhen
The Peninsula Shanghai
Ritz-Carlton Pudong Shanghai
The Peninsula Beijing
St. Regis Beijing

August
Fairmont Makati
Raffles Makati
JW Marriott Singapore
Amanbagh
Raffles Jaipur (New Opening)
Raffles Udaipur
Old May 26, 2024, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by CanaryWharf
June

Raffles The OWO - London

July
The Peninsula Hong Kong
Rosewood Hong Kong
Raffles Macau (New Opening)
St. Regis Macau
Ritz-Carlton HK
St. Regis HK
Mandarin Oriental HK
Raffles Shenzhen
The Peninsula Shanghai
Ritz-Carlton Pudong Shanghai
The Peninsula Beijing
St. Regis Beijing

August
Fairmont Makati
Raffles Makati
JW Marriott Singapore
Amanbagh
Raffles Jaipur (New Opening)
Raffles Udaipur
Would strongly advise against the St. Regis Beijing and Macau. Former derelict and latter crowded.

Ritz Carlton HK can be questionable, St Regis HK is miles ahead. PS had the worst stay at MOHK this year, everything was off.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:55 pm

Would strongly advise against the St. Regis Beijing and Macau. Former derelict and latter crowded.

Ritz Carlton HK can be questionable, St Regis HK is miles ahead. PS had the worst stay at MOHK this year, everything was off.
I'm surprised to hear this this about RCHK, I was under the impression that along with Upper House they were the go-to destinations in HK.

Granted my info is dated, with the tragic turn HK has taken it is very unlikely I will be back. Somewhat related I sadly found that hospitality had taken a southward turn at the RC Shanghai when I visited in January so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that geopolitics rocked the Bonvoy world.
Old May 26, 2024, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I'm surprised to hear this this about RCHK, I was under the impression that along with Upper House they were the go-to destinations in HK.

Granted my info is dated, with the tragic turn HK has taken it is very unlikely I will be back. Somewhat related I sadly found that hospitality had taken a southward turn at the RC Shanghai when I visited in January so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that geopolitics rocked the Bonvoy world.
It's just the height and Victoria Harbor views at RC HK now. The hotel room hardware has seen better days and service is not what it was. I think it's still aspirational for Bonvoy point users for not Luxury Forum folks.
United747 and gudugan like this.

Last edited by Aventine; May 26, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Old May 26, 2024, 7:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, QR Silver, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Aventine
It's just the height and Victoria Harbor views at RC HK now. The hotel room hardware has seen better days and service is not what it was. I think it's still aspirational for Bonvoy point users for not Luxury Forum folks.
I went to the bar (ozone?) back in late-2019 and laughed at both how bad the service was and how it was much more of a night club vibe.

Id stay away.
Old May 26, 2024, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by SocialAdept

Portman RC or RC Pudong? Portman hasn't been nice in a long time. And yes, service in Shanghai overall is much worse now.

Surprisingly, HK hasn't changed much at all, at least compared to Shanghai. When I was there in April, it felt like the pre-2019 days.
Old May 27, 2024, 2:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Portman RC or RC Pudong? Portman hasn't been nice in a long time. And yes, service in Shanghai overall is much worse now.

Surprisingly, HK hasn't changed much at all, at least compared to Shanghai. When I was there in April, it felt like the pre-2019 days.
thanks for the feedback

St. Regis Beijing im not too worried as it will be a 12 hours stay before a flight - most of my time will be at the Peninsula

What would you recommend instead of the St. Regis Macau?

and how was your experience in RC Pudong?
Old May 27, 2024, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by CanaryWharf
thanks for the feedback

St. Regis Beijing im not too worried as it will be a 12 hours stay before a flight - most of my time will be at the Peninsula

What would you recommend instead of the St. Regis Macau?

and how was your experience in RC Pudong?
The top choices in Macau include RC and the Morpheus.

Macau isn't a particularly highbrow destination and really not worth spending a lot of time in (unless you're into gambling ofc)

Last time I stayed in RC Pudong was 2017, it was fine then. I'd still go to eat every now and then but the F&B has seriously declined. The Cantonese and Italian restaurants used to be gourmet and now they're a disaster. Had friends stay and comment everything has declined. The location really isn't great if you're a tourist.
CanaryWharf likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 11:39 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
June
Amanruya

October
Mandarin Oriental Doha
Oberoi Al Zorah Ajman
Old May 27, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
the rest of 2024 coming into sight now. Maybe more luxury-adjacent than true luxury
March: Sun Valley Lodge, Conrad Punta Mita
May: Park Hyatt New York, Lancaster (paris) Grand Hotel (Stockholm)
July: Carneros Resort & Spa
August: Villa Sant'andrea (Sicily) and Villa D'este
So May ended up being the Conrad NY, and PH Paris
June: RC Chicago
July: Carneros Resort & Spa
August: Swapped Sicily for St Tropez and now staying at the Byblos before Villa D'este and added a long weekend at the Waldorf Monarch Beach
After that, on a travel hiatus for a bit with a kid coming in October.
Old May 28, 2024, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
September
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Glacier View Lodge
Fairmont Banff Springs
Are you concerned about wildfires? This year seems better than last year, but still rather active, although I'm not sure how far west of Calgary the problems are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.