FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   "Welcome" arrivals lounge in FRA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/914948-welcome-arrivals-lounge-fra.html)

SkyTeam777 Apr 7, 2010 12:09 pm

Are there any sleeping rooms in this lounge at FRA? Are there any lounges at FRA that have reclining chairs for napping or private rooms for napping like some lounges at AMS and CDG? or is it best to get a day room?

volta Apr 7, 2010 2:42 pm

There is a quiet room at the Welcome lounge with reclining chairs.
Depends on how tired you are and long is your layover. If it is longer then 5 hours, I would go for day room at a hotel.

Hartmann Apr 8, 2010 7:07 am

Since the welcome lounge is landside, is it worth a visit over the Business/Senator lounges when making a connection?

I am going ORD-FRA-TXL and have right at 4.5 hours in FRA. I'd like to have a shower before continuing on to TXL (but we all know how the SEN lounges can be).

Lack Apr 8, 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Hartmann (Post 13732501)
Since the welcome lounge is landside, is it worth a visit over the Business/Senator lounges when making a connection?

I am going ORD-FRA-TXL and have right at 4.5 hours in FRA. I'd like to have a shower before continuing on to TXL (but we all know how the SEN lounges can be).

Don't know the official EU rules, but coming from the states in MUC connecting to Schengen I end up landside anyway, so no time wasted - definitely worth a vist in the Welcome Lounge for a shower and breakfast.

oliver2002 Apr 8, 2010 7:59 am

In FRA you can end up landside if you want, but you can directly proceed to the gate via security and the A-B tunnel. I always leave B and walk to A landside to go thru the C/F security in A which usually has only 5 pax to check.

To get to the welcome lounge is a hike if you come from the US: leave B, go down stairs and luggage to the lower level, wait at the welcome lounge for entry (they are quite busy when the longhauls arrive in the morning) etc etc and the later make your way to the domestic A gates.

Worth it? Maybe. More painful than sitting in the crowded A26 SEN lounge with a sandwich and watching planes take off RWY 26? I think not.

TRAVELSIG Apr 8, 2010 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Hartmann (Post 13732501)

Probably a very long-shot, however you could check with LH in the event they can get you on an earlier flight [flight frequency FRA/TXL should not leave you with a 4.5 hour delay- so I suspect this is an award ticket- in which case the chance is very slim they will put you on an earlier flight].

Hartmann Apr 8, 2010 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Lack (Post 13732521)
Don't know the official EU rules, but coming from the states in MUC connecting to Schengen I end up landside anyway, so no time wasted - definitely worth a vist in the Welcome Lounge for a shower and breakfast.

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 13732762)
In FRA you can end up landside if you want, but you can directly proceed to the gate via security and the A-B tunnel. I always leave B and walk to A landside to go thru the C/F security in A which usually has only 5 pax to check.

To get to the welcome lounge is a hike if you come from the US: leave B, go down stairs and luggage to the lower level, wait at the welcome lounge for entry (they are quite busy when the longhauls arrive in the morning) etc etc and the later make your way to the domestic A gates.

Worth it? Maybe. More painful than sitting in the crowded A26 SEN lounge with a sandwich and watching planes take off RWY 26? I think not.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 13732814)
Probably a very long-shot, however you could check with LH in the event they can get you on an earlier flight [flight frequency FRA/TXL should not leave you with a 4.5 hour delay- so I suspect this is an award ticket- in which case the chance is very slim they will put you on an earlier flight].

Thank you for the replies!

Yes, it's a reward ticket UA C connecting to LH C.

The main thing I want is a shower before continuing on to TXL. My wife will be with me and I'm sure she'll want to freshen up before getting to Berlin as well.

My success rate at getting a shower at the SEN lounges has not been good, that's why I was wondering if I should walk down to the Welcome Lounge.

mijugo Apr 8, 2010 3:21 pm

IŽd definitely go to the arrival-lounge. They have much better (and more) showers and the breakfast will top the offerings in the SEN-Lounge (and of course on the plane). After that you can still go to the SEN-Lounge at A26 for some views.

SkyTeam777 Apr 8, 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by mijugo (Post 13735674)
IŽd definitely go to the arrival-lounge. They have much better (and more) showers and the breakfast will top the offerings in the SEN-Lounge (and of course on the plane). After that you can still go to the SEN-Lounge at A26 for some views.

Can the transfer desk print onward boarding passes for 9pm flights on the morning of departure? I have a 12 hour connection time, and I dont want to leave airside only to not be able to get back in until 3 hours before departure (flight is with Star Alliance partner Thai, but arriving on LH).

JetSet101 Apr 9, 2010 9:58 am

is there a storage facility for suitcases in the Welcome Lounge? Any insights?

Thx

volta Apr 9, 2010 11:32 am

Originally Posted by JetSet101 (Post 13740196)
is there a storage facility for suitcases in the Welcome Lounge? Any insights?

Thx

yes, there is. Just ask the lounge attendant and they'll help you.

ddavault Apr 9, 2010 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by volta (Post 13740724)
yes, there is. Just ask the lounge attendant and they'll help you.

They even let me park a trolley loaded with luggage the last time I was there.

I just used the Virgin Atlantic arrivals lounge at LHR and the Lufthansa lounge in FRA is far far superior!

JetSet101 Apr 9, 2010 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by ddavault (Post 13743395)

I just used the Virgin Atlantic arrivals lounge at LHR and the Lufthansa lounge in FRA is far far superior!

Thank you for the replies. Now I'll definitely will give it a try on my next trip :)

So, they really make fresh eggs to order? No need to eat breakfast on the plane anymore? That sounds just too good to be true :D

NewbieRunner Apr 9, 2010 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by ddavault (Post 13743395)

They expect you to have luggage since you've just arrived on longhaul and to leave it at the entrance. If you want to take your luggage into the lounge they'll attach a tag with the incoming fight number.

bostonbali Apr 25, 2010 10:10 am

1 hour, 40 min enough time to visit the Welcome Lounge?

I will soon be flying DTW-FRA-TLV in LH 'C.' Would love to visit the Welcome Lounge. My layover in FRA will be 100 minutes - is this enough time to visit the Welcome Lounge?

Looks like my flight to TLV will be leaving from C13 - how much time should I allocate for getting there (including security checkpoints along the way?)

Thanks,
Bostonbali