Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M UK AmEx

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are the M&M promos so crap? 10k gets you absolutely nowt unless you fly LOT. Compare it to BA or God forbid to the US and it's embarrassing.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hugolover
Why are the M&M promos so crap? 10k gets you absolutely nowt unless you fly LOT. Compare it to BA or God forbid to the US and it's embarrassing.
You forgot the £15 voucher
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Just found that MBNA has withdrawn M&M Amex and Visa credit cards in the UK for new applicants.
http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/11...-alternatives/

The demise of M&M Amex in the UK has been rumoured for some time but MBNA which is owned by Lloyds Bank since June appears to have withdrawn all airline credit cards. I wonder how long the existing cards will survive. I may have to start looking for alternative ways of topping up my (very depleted) M&M account.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Just found that MBNA has withdrawn M&M Amex and Visa credit cards in the UK for new applicants.
http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/11...-alternatives/

The demise of M&M Amex in the UK has been rumoured for some time but MBNA which is owned by Lloyds Bank since June appears to have withdrawn all airline credit cards. I wonder how long the existing cards will survive. I may have to start looking for alternative ways of topping up my (very depleted) M&M account.
Yes, this has been in the news for a while in the UK (HFP etc.). You should have your current card for use until the expiry date but then its curtains. Sadly, MBNA gave shortened expiries on the CCs they issued (maybe they saw it coming). Usually I get 4-5 years expiry on a new card but when I got the MBNA Miles & More Amex and Visa in 02/2017 the expiry date was a measly 02/2019 - so I have just over a year left for using these cards.

The Amex card had a relatively good earnings rate but it was more or less impossible to use in continental Europe - and given that you got dinged for 3% on any FX transactions you'd probably want to avoid that anyway if you could use a local currency alternative (or a UK card that gave zero FX costs).

AFAIK you can still top up via SPG but unlike using the M&M CCs that won't protect your miles against expiry. It means that now the only option for preventing hard expiry is maintaining some level of status within the LH program.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Yes, this has been in the news for a while in the UK (HFP etc.). You should have your current card for use until the expiry date but then its curtains. Sadly, MBNA gave shortened expiries on the CCs they issued (maybe they saw it coming). Usually I get 4-5 years expiry on a new card but when I got the MBNA Miles & More Amex and Visa in 02/2017 the expiry date was a measly 02/2019 - so I have just over a year left for using these cards.

The Amex card had a relatively good earnings rate but it was more or less impossible to use in continental Europe - and given that you got dinged for 3% on any FX transactions you'd probably want to avoid that anyway if you could use a local currency alternative (or a UK card that gave zero FX costs).

AFAIK you can still top up via SPG but unlike using the M&M CCs that won't protect your miles against expiry. It means that now the only option for preventing hard expiry is maintaining some level of status within the LH program.
I can't remember how long my previous cards lasted but I received my new cards in the last couple of months with the expiry date of 11/2020, i.e. for three years. I thought a bank could terminate credit cards if they so wish. SPG is a possible alternative but earning is not as great.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:18 am

Angry The end of MBNA M&M credit cards in the UK

We wanted to let you know that on 28 July 2018 we'll be making changes to your credit card account, as our relationship with Miles & More will be coming to an end. ... From that date you'll no longer earn award miles and your account will change to an MBNA Horizon Visa Credit Card account. ... Miles & More will be in touch separately about the no mileage expiry benefit.
The end of the MBNA M&M credit cards has been expected for some time but combined with the recent reduction in award miles from flying I can pretty much say goodbye to award flights through my M&M account.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
The end of the MBNA M&M credit cards has been expected for some time but combined with the recent reduction in award miles from flying I can pretty much say goodbye to award flights through my M&M account.
Yes, it’s not good news, time to seek an alternative card, I won’t be staying with MBNA.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Same for me, Newbie Runner. Very bad news indeed, even though the likes of HFP (Raffles) had flagged this a long time in advance to mentally prepare us for when the axe fell. I was hoping to make it to the end of the year with this card at least.

It also now means that there's no way of avoiding hard expiry without status (for those who can't obtain an alternative card), so I will probably have to maintain FTL status in LH/LO alongside *G in another program.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
There was a brief note saying that M&M would be in contact separately about the no mileage expiry benefit. Let's see what happens.
adfg likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:32 am

I have a part-paid Airbnb booking with this Amex which expects the remaining payment to be taken automatically in September... apparently changing the payment card on an existing booking is a bit of a headache as Airbnb systems not set up to easily do this and you need to call in, explain, etc etc

The MBNA notification ‘flyer’ says existing cards won’t be accepted for transactions after 11th October, I wonder if it means my remaining payment will still go through in september and so I can avoid the bother of contacting Airbnb to change payment card?

Any thoughts will be useful and appreciated :-)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MB_again
I have a part-paid Airbnb booking with this Amex which expects the remaining payment to be taken automatically in September... apparently changing the payment card on an existing booking is a bit of a headache as Airbnb systems not set up to easily do this and you need to call in, explain, etc etc

The MBNA notification ‘flyer’ says existing cards won’t be accepted for transactions after 11th October, I wonder if it means my remaining payment will still go through in september and so I can avoid the bother of contacting Airbnb to change payment card?

Any thoughts will be useful and appreciated :-)
Call MBNA, it’s a free phone number & ask them.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:10 am

Genius idea - I did exactly that and was told payments will still be processed until 11th October and declined thereafter... hope this saves someone else a phone call
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=MB_again;29866307]Genius idea - /QUOTE]

Cheers
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:02 pm

According to comments on HfP there seem to be some big spenders (and therefore big hoarders of M&M miles) who are concerned that miles might start expiring in September after MBNA M&M credit cards cease to exist.

In the same post as the notice from MBNA yesterday I received a postcard from WorldShop offering a 10% award mile discount. It looks like they are expecting desperate MBNA M&M card holders to spend their miles on Rimowa's and barbecues.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=NewbieRunner;2986769 It looks like they are expecting desperate MBNA M&M card holders to spend their miles on Rimowa's and barbecues. [/QUOTE]

That would be desperate !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.