FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   The FRA F/HON First Class Terminal FCT FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/883108-fra-f-hon-first-class-terminal-fct-faq.html)

SleepOverGreenland Oct 27, 2009 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mh492 (Post 12711755)
Only once arriving in FRA and having an unexpected apron position didn't work. Actually it was not really unexpected since every time LH493 is 15 minutes or more earlier we get an apron position. Seems everybody seems to predict that - except the HON service :mad:

Did you fly in F on LH493?

Per the LH logic (definition in some of the brochures) HONs arriving in longhaul F shall use the F/CL pickup bus, only HONs flying in BIZ/ECO will get a separate limo/van for apron arrivals.

mh492 Oct 27, 2009 9:39 am

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland (Post 12717463)
Did you fly in F on LH493?

Per the LH logic (definition in some of the brochures) HONs arriving in longhaul F shall use the F/CL pickup bus, only HONs flying in BIZ/ECO will get a separate limo/van for apron arrivals.

I was not in F on that flight. On that one I got actually stuck in Y since they had around 4 empty seats in Y. Was a little bit unexpected since normally that flight is always packed and Y fully over-booked. After walking over to the FCT, I asked them and they confirmed that I was the only HON on board and they should have send a car.

And the F bus non-sense is a FRA embarrassment. It only works properly if you have a purser that walks down with all its F guests and ensures that the bus leaves once they are on it. One time I had a stupid bus driver waiting until its bus was full instead of just leaving after all 8 F pax were on board. I don't call that an F bus.

SleepOverGreenland Oct 27, 2009 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mh492 (Post 12717578)
And the F bus non-sense is a FRA embarrassment. It only works properly if you have a purser that walks down with all its F guests and ensures that the bus leaves once they are on it. One time I had a stupid bus driver waiting until its bus was full instead of just leaving after all 8 F pax were on board. I don't call that an F bus.

I agree with that, just repeated the LH marketing speech bubbles.

Some of these F/CL bus drivers however start early, so not all F pax already really made it to that bus. :eek:

SMK77 Oct 28, 2009 3:58 am

The only time I had an apron position after a long-haul flight was in Dubai and the crew seemed to be very well aware how to handle those kind of situations. All 15 F pax got their own bus and left before anyone else was allowed to get off the plane...

lainys Oct 30, 2009 11:47 pm

LH 4465 C BCN-FRA arriving FRA 8:55am
LH 454 F FRA-SFO departing FRA 9:55am

(1) Do I have to clear immigration at FRA?:confused:
(2) Will there be enough time to check out FCL lounge or FCT (and clear immigration?) in 60 min? It looks like those flights generally use A terminal.

Thank you!!

mh492 Oct 31, 2009 1:06 am

Originally Posted by lainys (Post 12741274)

(2) Will there be enough time to check out FCL lounge or FCT (and clear immigration?) in 60 min? It looks like those flights generally use A terminal.

Thank you!!

My advise is that if you get an apron position, ask them to drop you off at B arrival and then do passport control and walk directly to FCL B22. Stay there and let them drive you to the gate for your SFO flight.

In case you have a gate arrival, then you can either stay at FCL A26, but then you have to do the passport control when leaving the lounge. Not sure how quick that actually is and how much early you have to leave the lounge, but it will be on the same level in A. Or you make your way over to the FCT. I would plan at least 15 minutes walk.

If you arrive at a gate position really close to A26, which some of BCN flights do, then I would advise you to simply stay there and enjoy that lounge.

hch Oct 31, 2009 2:28 am

Originally Posted by mh492 (Post 12741432)
My advise is that if you get an apron position, ask them to drop you off at B arrival and then do passport control and walk directly to FCL B22. Stay there and let them drive you to the gate for your SFO flight.

If the SFO flight leaves from the A gates (which it normally does) I would always ask to be dropped off at A and walk to the flight. The non-Schengen A pier is short enough that it's an easy walk, and it avoids the pointless secondary security screening when leaving from the FCL B. If it leaves from the C gates all hopes are off and you have to do the security circus anyway and the FCT or FCL B are equal choices - FCT if you want a 5 minute outside walk, FCL B otherwise.

lainys Oct 31, 2009 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by mh492 (Post 12741432)

In case you have a gate arrival, then you can either stay at FCL A26, but then you have to do the passport control when leaving the lounge. Not sure how quick that actually is and how much early you have to leave the lounge, but it will be on the same level in A. Or you make your way over to the FCT. I would plan at least 15 minutes walk.

If you arrive at a gate position really close to A26, which some of BCN flights do, then I would advise you to simply stay there and enjoy that lounge.

Originally Posted by hch (Post 12741558)
If the SFO flight leaves from the A gates (which it normally does) I would always ask to be dropped off at A and walk to the flight. The non-Schengen A pier is short enough that it's an easy walk, and it avoids the pointless secondary security screening when leaving from the FCL B. If it leaves from the C gates all hopes are off and you have to do the security circus anyway and the FCT or FCL B are equal choices - FCT if you want a 5 minute outside walk, FCL B otherwise.

Thank you both! Now I know what to to depending on whether I land apronside or gates at A or B. Hopefully I'll land/depart from A and just hang out at FCL near A26 if the FRA gods are willing. Can always check out the famous FCT another time :)

SleepOverGreenland Nov 1, 2009 4:28 am

Originally Posted by lainys (Post 12741274)

Thank you!!

You have to show your passport at FRA, when you leave the Schengen area, i.e. for your SFO gate. BCN flights are Schengen zone and usually arrive at A (gate or bus). If bus arrival, be careful when you depart the bus. There is a staiway immediately to your left upstairs to the lower A gates (In case your SFO flight departs from the A gates). If you pass the automatic glass doors you are outside security area and have to clear security again. In this case it is a 5 minute walk to the FCT. But if LH454 departs from the A gates (I never had a C gate boarding for that flight) I would just go to the FCL A. It is upstairs next to A25/A26 gates and from the FCL A it is just another 2-5 minutes to one of the upper A gates (incl. passport control).

infy9001 Nov 1, 2009 8:36 am

With all these questions re: passport control, thought i'd take the opportunity to ask...

If flying BOS-FRA-BKK, since the FCT is landside, aren't I effectively clearing immigration (aka passport control?), but yet my luggage is being checked through?

Or do i have to claim and re-check/belt? Or worse off.. claim, take with me to FCT, then check-in again?

mh492 Nov 1, 2009 8:42 am

Originally Posted by infy9001 (Post 12746996)
With all these questions re: passport control, thought i'd take the opportunity to ask...

If flying BOS-FRA-BKK, since the FCT is landside, aren't I effectively clearing immigration (aka passport control?), but yet my luggage is being checked through?

Or do i have to claim and re-check/belt? Or worse off.. claim, take with me to FCT, then check-in again?

You can check your luggage through to BKK and just walk over to the FCT without your bags. Have done that way too many times now. However I do ask the PA to double-check that everything is fine with my checked-in luggage and normally they make sure that everything works smoothly.

But yes, you are immigrating into Germany when going to the FCT. And personally with your flights, I wouldn't bother and stay in FCL B if you are not by bad luck arrive in C.

infy9001 Nov 1, 2009 10:32 am

Originally Posted by mh492 (Post 12747032)
You can check your luggage through to BKK and just walk over to the FCT without your bags. Have done that way too many times now. However I do ask the PA to double-check that everything is fine with my checked-in luggage and normally they make sure that everything works smoothly.

But yes, you are immigrating into Germany when going to the FCT. And personally with your flights, I wouldn't bother and stay in FCL B if you are not by bad luck arrive in C.

Thanks for the info and tips. Never been on an LH plane, never been to FRA and naturallly not the FCT, figure if I'm going to do it once, experience all that I can. I considered doing the lounge tour (Welcome, FCL-B, FCL-A, then FCT), but from what I heard, it's not worth the time (eventhough I have lots), as everything except the SPA, and the buffet breakfast in the Welcome Lounge can be experienced in the FCT.

hch Nov 1, 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by infy9001 (Post 12747540)
and the buffet breakfast in the Welcome Lounge can be experienced in the FCT.

The FCLs and FCT also have a breakfast buffet. It's different from, and in general better than the one at the Welcome lounge.

infy9001 Nov 1, 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by hch (Post 12747670)
The FCLs and FCT also have a breakfast buffet. It's different from, and in general better than the one at the Welcome lounge.

Oh... thought the FCT was "sit-down" order only..great to know..thanks!

One other question related to Terminals, I hear there's lots of shops to see in the regular Terminal, what about the FCT? If I want to check out the shops, should I/can I stay airside on arrival to visit the shops, then come out and then go to the FCT later? Or is it better to clear immigration, see the stores landside in the regular terminal, then leave for the FCT when done?

Jalinth Nov 1, 2009 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by infy9001 (Post 12748128)
One other question related to Terminals, I hear there's lots of shops to see in the regular Terminal, what about the FCT? If I want to check out the shops, should I/can I stay airside on arrival to visit the shops, then come out and then go to the FCT later? Or is it better to clear immigration, see the stores landside in the regular terminal, then leave for the FCT when done?

The FCT has one small duty free "shop" but that is it. Picked up some JW Green at a good price (at least by BC standards) but it is small. Given that the FCLs are now pretty close to the FCT, not sure if it is worth the effort to clear immigration and walk to the terminal rather than go to FCL A/B (depending on your next flight).