Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

The Miles and More Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! [older now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Miles and More Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! [older now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drτleyes:
Originally Posted by totti
Now if they would only stop this stupid fare structure which is just a very very bad copy of airline fare
What do you mean exactly, and why is it a "bad" "copy"?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by andre1970
What do you mean exactly, and why is it a "bad" "copy"?
Well let my try to elaborate my argument: Apart from the normal fare price we have several different fares and discounts at the moment: BahnCard 25, BahnCard 50, BahnCard 100, Sparpreis 25, Sparpreis 100, Dauerspezial, several group discounts, Sparnight for City Night Line Trains and other promotional fare. This complex fare structure was introduced back in 2001/02 by former LH marketing and sales people. The main argument for this diverse fare structure was the ability to better control the capacity utilisation. The result is that they force people to book way in advance if they want to get a decent fare - similar to air transportation.

There are two major problems: Firstly compared to air travel the DB fare structure is not transparent. If you want to book a flight you just check via your preferred tool and get all information you need. Now try to find a good DB fare. It'll take you virtually hours and you can't be sure that you still pay too much.

Secondly rail-bound transport is no air transportation and will never be! So DB should stop to compete with air travel and start to focus on its strength. IMHO the unique selling point of rail-bound transport was flexibility. In former times there was no need to book month in advance. When I wanted to go from FRA to BER I just went to the railway station, bought a ticket and boarded a train. If I missed a train I could simply take the next one without any problems. Now that they introduced this no refundable tickets and all this promo-fares all this flexibility is gone. If I need to book month in advance and I can also look for cheap tix with LH and AB.

If you want I am willing to present some more detailed arguments but actually I realise that the whole DB topic makes me

Cheers,
totti
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
..If the lady has a ticket, kiddies up to a certain age can ride for free. The lady most likely was willing to buy a ticket, but was unable (see before). In the glory past you could easily purchase a ticket in the train. This is over and people are send out.

In any case it is totally unacceptable to send out a parent and then let the train go. Totally unacceptable IMHO, whatever the issue with the ticket was.
Same with the SBB ... but I still don't get it - so the kids were no customers either and hence were not entitled to stay on the train either.

While the policy is terrible - no doubts about that - which parent would alight the train and leave the younglings aboard. Even if told so by a misinformed train security dude???

I have a hard time to buy and sympathise with the account, to be honest.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by weero
Same with the SBB ... but I still don't get it - so the kids were no customers either and hence were not entitled to stay on the train either.

While the policy is terrible - no doubts about that - which parent would alight the train and leave the younglings aboard. Even if told so by a misinformed train security dude???

I have a hard time to buy and sympathise with the account, to be honest.
Probably it is difficult to discuss this specific case. I don't know all the details. The issue is, that such similar cases happened more than once. Each such case is one too much IMHO.

I know one recent case however, where a mum had a ticket and was "just" send out to put a "used stamp" on it on the outside stampers. During these 30 seconds the train closed the doors and went away. Kids inside. Why the hell couldn't they just put a stamp or mark or whatever inside the train on that ticket?

Anyway, this discussion leads to nothing. I'm happy in Switzerland on my running routes: ZRH-Chur, ZRH-Bern, ZRH-Lucerne. Very nice train system and almost always on time (delay <1 minute). Whenever I use the train in Germany aside the FRA-CGN and FRA-Munich routes it ends in a disaster like for most of my friends (Aside one I must admit, who is happy but he is always only on the FRA-Munich and FRA-Bremen routes).
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Apart from our small DB discussion here you may want to check out the brand new European Rail Travel forum.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by totti
Well let my try to elaborate my argument: Apart from the normal fare price we have several different fares and discounts at the moment: BahnCard 25, BahnCard 50, BahnCard 100, Sparpreis 25, Sparpreis 100, Dauerspezial, several group discounts, Sparnight for City Night Line Trains and other promotional fare. This complex fare structure was introduced back in 2001/02 by former LH marketing and sales people. The main argument for this diverse fare structure was the ability to better control the capacity utilisation. The result is that they force people to book way in advance if they want to get a decent fare - similar to air transportation.

There are two major problems: Firstly compared to air travel the DB fare structure is not transparent. If you want to book a flight you just check via your preferred tool and get all information you need. Now try to find a good DB fare. It'll take you virtually hours and you can't be sure that you still pay too much.

Secondly rail-bound transport is no air transportation and will never be! So DB should stop to compete with air travel and start to focus on its strength. IMHO the unique selling point of rail-bound transport was flexibility. In former times there was no need to book month in advance. When I wanted to go from FRA to BER I just went to the railway station, bought a ticket and boarded a train. If I missed a train I could simply take the next one without any problems. Now that they introduced this no refundable tickets and all this promo-fares all this flexibility is gone. If I need to book month in advance and I can also look for cheap tix with LH and AB.

If you want I am willing to present some more detailed arguments but actually I realise that the whole DB topic makes me

Cheers,
totti
Well, most of your points focus on why consumers won't like those "new" pricing schemes, resembling to those in the airline industry.

However, theory and common practice suggest that this is the profit maximizing way of doing things. Mind you, not only in the transportations industry: Utilities (water, electricity, gas companies), telecommunication companies, etc. price exactly like that for many years now...
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:47 pm

..However, theory and common practice suggest that this is the profit maximizing way of doing things. Mind you, not only in the transportations industry: Utilities (water, electricity, gas companies), telecommunication companies, etc. price exactly like that for many years now...
Was 333 contagious ?

It is the appropriate scheme (or scam depending on the angle if view) for providers which managed to established a pseudo-monopoly or a cartel on a certain set of services.

If an airline is the only one to fly a mid/longhaul route and the authorities have no grip on cracking down on the pricing scheme, then this sure is one of the more optimal extortion plans.

But BD which already faces a very potent competitor called car .. I dunno. Would you put up with all the crap LH agents tell you, the mess in FRA if you could drive FRA-ATH the same amount of time at a comparable price?

Of course tastes vary in that regard but many people have made their choice seeing the new fare constructs.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, most of your points focus on why consumers won't like those "new" pricing schemes, resembling to those in the airline industry.

However, theory and common practice suggest that this is the profit maximizing way of doing things. Mind you, not only in the transportations industry: Utilities (water, electricity, gas companies), telecommunication companies, etc. price exactly like that for many years now...
As andre1970 says, these "demand pricing" structures have been put into place by many companies and the apparent ease of use and the feelings of fair play and transparency transmitted when they are used is a function of the skill of the IT guys who develop the systems (and of the instructions they have received from the top).
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by monitor
As andre1970 says, these "demand pricing" structures have been put into place by many companies and the apparent ease of use and the feelings of fair play and transparency transmitted when they are used is a function of the skill of the IT guys who develop the systems (and of the instructions they have received from the top).
The "demand pricing" system is not the main problem with the cr@... sorry... crappy Deutsche Bahn AG. With a Bahncard 25 or Bahncard 50 (discount card) you don't pay more, but have the full flexibility.

The problem is that German trains are not reliable at all, that connections don't work, that first class coaches are often missing (!). And if a connection doesn't work, all seat reservations for ulterior trains become obsolete.

Due to the fact that a lot of side tracks are removed, a single delay can break down the whole system. There is no staff on a lot of stations and trains, finding a contact person when something get wrong is often an an impossible thing.

And when CEO Mehdorn always says that the Deutsche Bahn AG is "the best railway in Europe", I could not only puke my guts out - as a former employee of the Swiss railway industry (actually located in Germany) I even consider this as an absolute sneer against all Swiss railwaymen.

Anyway, the typical passenger of Mehdorn's dreams is a guy with an executive-consultant face and an inborned cellphone, sitting in an ICE in 1. Class at 300km/h (to any destination - main issue is 300km/h) doing his pseudo-important work with a bootlicking smile.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
Did you ever feel that legacy carriers, mobile phone companies, and the likes charge a fair price???

The Saturday night rule is the epitome of a rip off (that is before Vodafone came into existence). They are terrible instruments from a the perspective that we as customers have a relatively good idea what the value of a product is.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:15 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
You can say crap without remorse on FT. It's a legally approved designator on this board. So please use it generously!
Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.

If you ride on a less important route, then they regularly and reliably run with 20-30 minutes delay (meeting late connections that is called).
Fair enough. A reliable delay of only 20 - 30 minutes is fine with me, one can plan accordingly. DB allows for everything in the range of - 30 minutes to + 30 hrs with an expectation value >> 1 hr. The PED (positive expected delay) may be approximated by ED ~ 0.8 * time travelled, floored at 10 minutes. Not to forget the endless stupidity one has to listen to in case of any delay.

In weeks I've had to take the train too often (i.e. more than zero times) I sometimes think of using LH on e.g. FRA-DUS.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Was 333 contagious ?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:49 am

Programs: LH KL PC
Just sent a small question by email to LH using the form on the M&M site.
This is the reply I got :

Dear HON Circel member,

Thank you for your e-mail. Our Miles & More Service Team will handle your
request under the incident number xxx.
We will answer your request as soon as possible!

Your Miles & More Service Team

I'm FTL. Is LH hiding something from me ?

Last edited by ms1664; Jan 22, 2009 at 5:05 am
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:56 am

Was 333 contagious ?

It is the appropriate scheme (or scam depending on the angle if view) for providers which managed to established a pseudo-monopoly or a cartel on a certain set of services.
If an airline is the only one to fly a mid/longhaul route and the authorities have no grip on cracking down on the pricing scheme, then this sure is one of the more optimal extortion plans.
By-and-large only. Granted, as you correctly remark, this price structure can be used by firms with monopoly power to increase their profits. OTOH, airlines in the US are far from having any monopoly power on the vast majority of routes, while at the same time they use the same tariff structure all across the board, i.e., "price discrimination" along most (imaginable) dimensions. You can easily see the same logic in way more competitive markets: from telephone/internet providers, utilities and newspaper/magazine subscriptions to restaurants, all those adhere to the same pricing rationale:

People are different, have different needs (as you correctly point out), and thus they are/should be willing to pay a different price for a (seemingly identical) good/service.

Did you ever feel that legacy carriers, mobile phone companies, and the likes charge a fair price???

The Saturday night rule is the epitome of a rip off (that is before Vodafone came into existence). They are terrible instruments from a the perspective that we as customers have a relatively good idea what the value of a product is.
Definitely bad from a consumer's perspective, but again not all consumers are equally dissatisfied: e.g, a businessman is willing to pay more in order to be back home before the weekend, hence the Saturday rule: it is a safe way to tell people who travel for business from those who have a relatively relaxed schedule.

As far as "fair" is concerned your argument cuts both ways : a leisure traveler (who has fixed his vacation plans since the French Revolution) finds it more fair to pay less for a airplane seat than a businessman who will end-up sitting next to him after having changed his ticket 3 million times. So does the airline (maybe a lil bit self-servingly) ! But I'll be honest with you: So do I ! (so monitor, there's two of us! )

Would you put up with all the crap LH agents tell you, the mess in FRA if you could drive FRA-ATH the same amount of time at a comparable price?
A rhetoric question of course. OTOH, I find myself willing to accept everyday heaps of crap and bullsh!tting, alas with no tangible gain.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by ms1664
Just sent a small question by email to LH using the form on the M&M site.
This is the reply I got ear HON Circel member,

Thank you for your e-mail. Our Miles & More Service Team will handle your
request under the incident number xxx.
We will answer your request as soon as possible!

Your Miles & More Service Team

I'm FTL. Is LH hiding something from me ?
(emphasis mine)
Not really - after all there is no such thing as an "HON circel" ... so they didn't give anything away, technically .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.