Community
Wiki Posts
Search

long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:14 pm

I had a look at the price list today. This is only for ONBOARD cash (or better said credit card payments). No mileage upgrades are possible onboard anymore, only at the airport or before.

The prices range from CHF100 for Swiss domestic Y-C, CHF400 for IATA-Europe Y-C to CHF2500 for CH-LAX C-F (the most expensive on the list). LX charter Y-C is 60CHF. Y-C CH-LAX is 2000 CHF, rest of USA was CHF1400 I believe.

For Asia, I think it was also 1400CHF for Y-C and 2000CHF for C-F. Am not 100% sure, as I can't remember all the details.

Note: You must be really lucky to do this, as M/Cs are only allowed to offer onboard upgrades if they can provide the meals. They will not let you eat the meal from the lower class. If they don't have enough meals, and don't have time to order it, they will refuse the onboard-upsell.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:03 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
any 'cheap' upgrades on the SIN-BKK route?

My next SIN-BKK on LX is completely sold out in Y. Which means that I and my companion are going to loose our empty seats next to us to op-ups . Same on the way back.

Does LX offer gate upgrades for cash in SIN or BKK? I am a bit reluctant to burn 30K miles on a 2.5 hour hop.

Any experiences or suggestions?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:11 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
One option is to burn a single e-voucher (if you have an odd number, like some people do since LH stopped handing them out at every 50K miles). That would only be worth it because there are few other reasonable uses for an orphan e-voucher.

No idea about cash upgrades though.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
when i took this flight BKK-SIN in Jan 07, I enquired at check-in and was told that it'll be THB3000 (about usd100) per passenger for the upgrade from heavily discounted economy to business.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by metcalve
when i took this flight BKK-SIN in Jan 07, I enquired at check-in and was told that it'll be THB3000 (about usd100) per passenger for the upgrade from heavily discounted economy to business.
That sounds better than toasting 15K miles. And I wouldn't mind showing my friend the LX F experience .
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by alex0683de
One option is to burn a single e-voucher (if you have an odd number, like some people do since LH stopped handing them out at every 50K miles).
I do indeed have an odd number. But as I am traveling with a companion that would not solve my issue .
Also, a voucher gets me 1/2 way to North America or Europe-Asia so I'd not bonfire it on that short hop.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I have asked at checkin several times for paid upgrades and always been told that they weren't available, on both Y to C and C to F. However, when I have been on a paid C ticket and Y was oversold, I have been op-upped to F twice. Good luck!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by weero
I do indeed have an odd number. But as I am traveling with a companion that would not solve my issue .
Also, a voucher gets me 1/2 way to North America or Europe-Asia so I'd not bonfire it on that short hop.
I guess it would be better to use it than let it sit in your account as an orphan. I was told I can't even combine two e-vouchers from two different accounts as both me and Mrs have odd number of vouchers from historical times.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
..However, when I have been on a paid C ticket and Y was oversold, I have been op-upped to F twice. Good luck!
That would indeed be nice! And it's not even the cheapest Biz class we are traveling on ... so maybe luck will be on our side this time!
Originally Posted by LonLH
..I was told I can't even combine two e-vouchers from two different accounts as both me and Mrs have odd number of vouchers from historical times.
Sounds like an agent who struggles with handling single PNR itins! I get those a lot on UA when they are unable to apply instruments from different travelers within the same party and then come up with that rule. It often takes brute force to keep an agent from splitting the PNR or pulling the wrong instruments .
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: LH, UA
Eco-Business-Buyup on Swiss

Just for the record: Just witnessed Swiss offering buyups from Eco to Business from BOS to ZRH for USD 400 today. ("We have a special offer.") Seemed like they were overbooked in Economy.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by starbucks_MUC
Just for the record: Just witnessed Swiss offering buyups from Eco to Business from BOS to ZRH for USD 400 today. ("We have a special offer.") Seemed like they were overbooked in Economy.
Was this for the old Biz on the 330? Not worth 400 bucks IMO ... but 100 for SIN-BKK would be sweet .
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:08 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by starbucks_MUC
They do it often ex-US. It often means they are overbooked and if you have status it makes sense not to pay and maybe you get op-upped! risky, but as said, on the old 330s $400 are not worth it...
Old Dec 20, 2007, 2:48 am

Programs: Many
Hello all,

New to LX (and M&M), I have some questions about long haul cash upgrades on LX :
- Are these upgrades reserved for M&M Elites or are they available to anyone?
- I understood it is not worth asking at the ticketing desk. Then where is the best place to ask : check-in, gate, to the M/C as soon as onboard?
- Is this option reserved for certain fares Eco fares to biz?

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Standby upgrade from economy to business class - less than published rates?

My wife is going later next month from YOW to ZUR on AC and then from ZUR to DEL on LX (actually AC codeshared on LX). The booking code on all segments is AC's "M" - it allows her to cancel or change without penalty. I do not know what LX's equivalent code is, for an AC "M" booking code.

If seats are available at the time of check-in or boarding, can upgrade for a fee and would this amount be less than the official difference rates between these economy and business class rates?

(of note - she has upgraded on the AC metal flights, with AC upgrade certficates - those certificates are not valid on LX and AC does not participate in the Star Alliance upgrade program).
Old Dec 28, 2007, 8:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
See post #9 and #20 in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.