Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August UK terror alert effects on LH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:27 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Too much to ask to type www.lufthansa.co.uk?
German LH customers need this information as well, don't you think? And they don't use www.lufthansa.co.uk .
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Lufthansa.de now has the following statement hidden behind a small link on the right hand side of the page:

"Flughafen London Heathrow vorbergehend geschlossen.

Der Flughafen London Heathrow bleibt bis 16 Uhr Ortszeit (17 Uhr deutsche Zeit) geschlossen. Lufthansa hat daher alle Flge von Deutschland nach London Heathrow bis auf weiteres gestrichen.
Lufthansa Flge nach London City, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh und Newcastle finden weiterhin statt, aber es muss mit Versptungen gerechnet werden."
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
My morning at LHR!

I was on UA 930 arrived this morning into LHR to connect to LH 4751 to MUC. What a disaster...

First hint was when we landed, we had a last minute stand change... Which from what it seemed like was due to flights not being moved from the gates from the early early am arrivals.

Then we get bused (after a long wait for buses) to Terminal 3 connections area/passport control only to see that connections center is closed. At this time not much info was going around on what happened. EVERYONE had to go through Arrivals, even if you had a connecting flight. Connections center was closed. What was an on time arrival now yielded 50 mins just to get off the bus.

Got into the Arrivals Immigration area, wait was at least 1 hour to clear. However I hounded an immigration officer that I needed to make a flight with a short connection window... He put me through the "health/medical" line and I was out in 5 mins.

Went to Terminal 2 (via the walkways) and that was an utter zoo. BAA staff were handing out notices of what you could or couldn't carry. Struggled to make my way to the Lufthansa Biz Class check in counter to ask if my flight was cancelled, sure enough LH 4751 was cancelled.... No idea when they operate any other flights.

This looked bad... on top of that at this point people knew what the security issue was... The last thing I wanted to do was hang around ANY airport with all the unscreened/unchecked bags floating around the check in area...

I caught Heathrow Express to paddington, while on the train booked the 10:40 Eurostar to Paris. Went from Paddington to Waterloo on the tube... Got to Eurostar check in by 9:35... Caught the 10:10 train instead. MANY air passengers were on the train. Got to Paris Gare Du Nord and then shared a cab to CDG. At this point I had my travel agent book me on a CDG-MUC flight. I get in about 6hrs 30mins later, assuming everything goes OK.

In the CDG LH lounge right now... About 1hr 10 mins till boarding time. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Thanks for the report.

Just a quick advice, which may be helpful for fellow travellers:

You should have taken the Eurostar to Lille, and changed to a TGV to CDG. Would have been faster. Or the Eurostar to Brussels and fly from there.

SmilingBoy.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Lufthansa.de now has the following statement hidden behind a small link on the right hand side of the page:

"Flughafen London Heathrow vorbergehend geschlossen.

Der Flughafen London Heathrow bleibt bis 16 Uhr Ortszeit (17 Uhr deutsche Zeit) geschlossen. Lufthansa hat daher alle Flge von Deutschland nach London Heathrow bis auf weiteres gestrichen.
Lufthansa Flge nach London City, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh und Newcastle finden weiterhin statt, aber es muss mit Versptungen gerechnet werden."
Perhaps I live in a paralleluniverse as I'm unable to find this link on my LH website.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by florianbrenn

Does anybody know whether these rules apply to all flights from and to the US or only the ones coming from the UK. How about FRA and MUC?

It does apply to all flights from SA to the US and vv so changes are pretty good that it will apply to all flights to and from the US right now.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by daysleeper
Perhaps I live in a paralleluniverse as I'm unable to find this link on my LH website.
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...nodeid=1084434

The link is hidden on the right hand side under "Miles&More"...

The statement is now "Heathrow wieder geffnet"
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...nodeid=1084434

The link is hidden on the right hand side under "Miles&More"...

The statement is now "Heathrow wieder geffnet"
Ah yes, now finally! LH monitors this thread.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
The worst part about this is that apparently the US has banned all carry-ons. People are not even allowed to take iPods and Cell phones with them on the plane. All sorts of liquid are banned unless it is baby food or medicine.

This really sucks, I have to fly with United to the US in not such a long time (2 weeks). I hope that this will all have settled by then, because flying coach withouth my iPod and my noise cancelling headphones is just going to kill me.

Does anybody know whether these rules apply to all flights from and to the US or only the ones coming from the UK. How about FRA and MUC?
Just to clarify, I have heard no indication that it was the US which was banning carryons, merely that they were banned. Given that it is UK authorities who discovered this plot, it may be UK authorities who have instituted the ban. Do you have a citation for who instituted the ban?

I am not criticizing your post...it's just that everything I have heard suggests that it is the UK who put in the carryon ban.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Aug 10, 2006 at 9:56 am Reason: grammar
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
The worst part about this is that apparently the US has banned all carry-ons. People are not even allowed to take iPods and Cell phones with them on the plane. All sorts of liquid are banned unless it is baby food or medicine.
[...]
From the SWISS website:
Flights to the USA:
Travellers to the USA cannot take any liquids or gelatinous substances in their carry-on baggage. Baby food is permitted.
link
So I think carry-on baggage is still allowed, except all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport, and the items listed above.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Well, seems that i booked the perfect routing for my next 2 flights to the US(MUC-LHR-LAX)....

No problem to give away my handbag for the trip but thinking about the connection times in LHR without FCC or triple security screenings make me think about calling LH and change flights to an earlier departure to LHR or a route change....
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Starbucks
Well, seems that i booked the perfect routing for my next 2 flights to the US(MUC-LHR-LAX)....
Why anybody would voluntarily fly MUC-LHR-LAX instead of MUC-LAX escapes me. And this is under normal conditions.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:36 pm

Today, I got this message from my TA so I am not so sure about the whole Carry-on thing. The other question that I have is whether this is just concerning flights from the US to the UK or whether this concerns all flights going either to the US or the UK (the carry-on thing).

Terrorism alert prompts tightened security and raised threat level; serious disruption likely

Airport security in the UK has been significantly tightened after the authorities revealed that they had intercepted a plot to blow up transatlantic flights using an explosive device planted in hand luggage.

The UK terrorist threat level has been raised to critical, the highest possible, and applies throughout the UK and not just to aviation. It is likely however to be a precautionary measure rather than an indication that an attack is a strong possibility. There is no suggestion that police think an attack is imminent.

Heightened security measures at all of Londons airports are causing major disruption to all incoming and departing flights to and from the UK. Travellers are advised to anticipate exceptionally long delays at check-in and security. It is possible that some UK airports may even close.

Implications for Business Personnel

Intensive scrutiny of passenger baggage and a backlog of flights is likely to result in long flight delays, potentially lasting several days. Staff due to travel on 10 August may wish to consider postponing their travel on the grounds of the serious disruption.

The new measures apply to all airlines and flights to all destinations, and to all flights into the UK. US-bound travellers are likely to encounter particularly rigorous security checks. These will include the hand-searching of all travellers and the X-raying of all passenger footwear.

Personnel intending to fly should be aware that they will not be permitted to carry hand luggage into the aircraft cabin. Only a small number of items will be allowed onboard to be carried in a (preferably transparent) plastic bag. These include:

* Passport and other travel documents

* Essential medication sufficient for the flight

* Glasses or contact lenses (removed from their cases)

* Pocket-sized wallets or purses (not handbags)

* Unboxed sanitary items, tissues, handkerchiefs

* Keys (not electronic key fobs)

Personnel should also give consideration to:

* The potential for loss or theft of hand luggage

* The implications of storing all confidential information in hold luggage

* The potential for damage to high value items of luggage such as laptops
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Why anybody would voluntarily fly MUC-LHR-LAX instead of MUC-LAX escapes me. And this is under normal conditions.
No need to escape, MUC-LAX wasnt available as C award, using MUC-FRA-LAX in C is out of the question so going the NZ way via LHR seems reasonable.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Please keep politics off this thread. Also please only post things relevant for LH (and OS, LO, JP and OU). There are other FT threads for more general information on the current alert.

Thanks in advance.

Kiwi Flyer
LH moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.