Wiki Posts
Search

poll: LH F in 744

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Question poll: LH F in 744

I just had a very pleasant F experience on BA. While sitting there in the plane (it was a 744) I was wondering why LH uses the upper deck for it's first class on it's 744 while most other airlines don't? Do you have any insights why LH does so. Just because of the 2 more seats? I really like to fly LH F but if I travel alone I prefer a single seat, which is not possible on LH's 744. Would you like to see LH F in the first section of the main deck or do you like it the way it is.

I never tought about it before and I am just curious what you guys think about it.

Cheers
totti
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have been told that LH has the F cabin upstairs so that it could be be like an exclusive, quiet cabin away from the rest of the passengers.

I do like the upper deck layout specifically for this "private" feel. I agrre with you that for single travelers this 2x2 layout is not as nice as having a solo-suite in BA, CX, QF....right in the nose of plane.

I also found that on LH using the door near the stairs to disembark allows the cabin crew to very effectively block off J and Y passenfers so that F pax from upstairs can disembark first. Perhaps that too was a reason why LH went for F upstairs.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Quick question...Dollar for Dollar (or Euro for Euro), is first class on LH significantly better than business on a long haul flight? I've flown business before, and it was nice. Looking on the LH website, other than a slightly more comfortable looking seat, I don't see enough difference in First to warrant a lot of extra money. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: LH Sen
Originally Posted by fm747
I have been told that LH has the F cabin upstairs so that it could be be like an exclusive, quiet cabin away from the rest of the passengers.
I second this. I was told that LH wanted to create a cabin which is exclusively for F pax and completely seperated from the other two classes.
Moreover it is for Marketing purposes as well: Most of the people are dreaming of sitting once in the upper deck of the 747 in F and enjoying going up the stairs. That's what LH is stating.
Anyway the new F class in the A380 assuming it will be delivered sometime LH is offering single seats in cabin style la EK. But I am still wondering if this is true or not. Personally I think such a concept doesn't fit to LH.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by etch5895
Quick question...Dollar for Dollar (or Euro for Euro), is first class on LH significantly better than business on a long haul flight? I've flown business before, and it was nice. Looking on the LH website, other than a slightly more comfortable looking seat, I don't see enough difference in First to warrant a lot of extra money. Any thoughts?
The seat is definitely better though older but at least you have full lie flat no angle. In LH's new C you have an angle of 30 degrees.
From the aspect og the IFE the new C is way better than F. You can choose between many films (on demand), documentations, games and even internet.
In F you still have tapes and the screens are much smaller.
The food and beverages in F are really superior thus C cannot compete with F here.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by fm747
Okay, I agree here.

I do like the upper deck layout specifically for this "private" feel. I agrre with you that for single travelers this 2x2 layout is not as nice as having a solo-suite in BA, CX, QF....right in the nose of plane.
This is exactly you I start to think about it. I like the UD and it is great if I travel with my wife. But some solo seats would be really great but this isn't possible on the UD.

I also found that on LH using the door near the stairs to disembark allows the cabin crew to very effectively block off J and Y passenfers so that F pax from upstairs can disembark first. Perhaps that too was a reason why LH went for F upstairs.
Rest asured that the FA's can do so, if they want to but sometimes they just don't care. I don't fly LH F regularly but when I did in the past it happend quite often that they didn't care about F pax and let the C pax disembark first.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by etch5895
Quick question...Dollar for Dollar (or Euro for Euro), is first class on LH significantly better than business on a long haul flight? Any thoughts?
Compared to LHs old C class product, F was worth the money/miles. Now with the new C seats installed in some planes there are cheaper options to eat caviar.
With the same level of privacy, the "same" bed (ok - its wider and the chances to fail are lower in F) and a much older IFE Id vote today for C class if new seats are available.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by FtlAOI
From the aspect og the IFE the new C is way better than F.
Since new C is only installed in planes that also have new F, I don't get your point. Old F planes will always have old C in the back (or downstairs), and old C has the same old IFE as old F (minus the personal video player). So on any given plane, F is always better equipped than the corresponding C cabin.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:14 am

Programs: LH, BA, DL
I believe many if not most on this forum will disagree with me, but I think that the LH 744 F product is far more exclusive than the (existing) A3x0 F product. As already stated, the entire UD cabin is F - you don't even get in contact with non-F pax after boarding (contrast that with A3x0 F from airports using one airbridge only at the front door - your first 15 minutes of in-flight experience will consist of passengers more or less walking all over you - watch out for the Rucksacks!). There's more room per F row on the 744 than on the A3x0. I take the point about the single seats - then again, if you do fly with a partner and like windows seats, that's not an option on the A3x0.

Best of all, as a HON/SEN you can't really loose on an LH 744 (unless you have to fly Y) - if you can't make it to the UD, you normally get into Rows 1 - 5, which is another very pleasant (and quiet) way to fly.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:19 am

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Since new C is only installed in planes that also have new F, I don't get your point. Old F planes will always have old C in the back (or downstairs), and old C has the same old IFE as old F (minus the personal video player). So on any given plane, F is always better equipped than the corresponding C cabin.
Not true. There are some new 330s (or 340s?) out there with new C. F is also brand new on those birds, but the IFE, whilst AVID as in C, still has the small old F screen (otherwise some major reengineering of the old F seat would have been necessary). So in planes that have new C and F service, C IFE is superior.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by LH_Fan
Not true. There are some new 330s (or 340s?) out there with new C. F is also brand new on those birds, but the IFE, whilst AVID as in C, still has the small old F screen (otherwise some major reengineering of the old F seat would have been necessary). So in planes that have new C and F service, C IFE is superior.
That's strage, especially since IME the screen size never changed between old and new F. The resolution improved, and screens became touch-screens. Where have you seen F screens that were larger than the old screens they used to have in F? Must be rare (it it exists), but I remember a purser mentioning that LH had internal discussions about the screen-size of AVOD F, so I won't rule out that they might have tried out larger F screens on one or a few planes. For me, screen size is not relevant (in boundaries, of course), I care about resolution and ease of use (touch screen is much better than the remote).

So to justify your "not true" comment: You have been on a LH plane with new C IFE and old (analog) F IFE? Do you remember the type and registration/name?

Last edited by flysurfer; Jul 12, 2006 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by LH_Fan
sorry to dissapoint you,New C is beeing rolled out in all types of longhaul planes. New F will be rolled out first with the start of the A380 and not before.
The only new thing with the F product is the "touch sensitive" Mico IFE-Screen and the new way of serving food, i.e. no more etagere for the starters...
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CubaLibre
The only new thing with the F product is the "touch sensitive" Mico IFE-Screen
I like those screens. Looks sharper than the blown up image in C, which is so lowres (pixels/inch) that I can't watch a movie on it, because instead of following the plot I keep counting pixels. They also changed the power outlet. And F get's FlyNet, too And the food concept changes went beyond removing those tagres.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I'm taking a C class longhaul trip later this year, and the only other C class I've done with LH was March of last year, CLT-MUC, and the lie flat seat was nice, the food and drinks were very good, and overall it was a very nice experience. I guess the main reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking about a future RTW trip and trying to decide if it is worth it to pay for F over C.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Actually I don't really get your point.
In the A333 for example you have F and new C. Comparing the two different IFEs shows that the one of the new C is way better than the one from F. All the different functions and the large range of entertainment possibilities you've only in new C.
No question about that. Though it is correct that the old C has the same IFE as F.
Personally I don't really care if it is equipped with touch screen or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.